Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 46
  1. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    29,550

    Re: Starting a business? Maybe. Tips?

    On the cost, we have a cleaner that my mom has been paying for while Amanda is on maternity leave.

    When she signed with her there was price points based on frequency of service. So weekly was like $80, biweekly $110, monthly $130, one offs $150 or something like that.
    “It’s not whether you get knocked down; it’s whether you get up.”
    – Vince Lombardi

    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/cole_jackson/

    Twitter: @ColeJacksonRSR





  2. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    52,760
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Starting a business? Maybe. Tips?

    I agree with Cole, for a service like residential cleaning I think it would be a lot easier for the customer to have almost like a menu to choose services from. Because you don’t want to go into a situation where you are charging 100 bucks to clean somebody’s house, which is pretty ambiguous, and then you get there and the house is a total wreck.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

    RIP #25





  3. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    14,841

    Re: Starting a business? Maybe. Tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    House. Basically maid service.
    So what about the start up cost, can you use your GI bill to cover that?
    "Don't let your happiness depend on something you may lose." - C.S. Lewis





  4. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates
    Posts
    7,435

    Re: Starting a business? Maybe. Tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    The Clean Marine is genius and it would really help with you branding. I'd hire you.
    I would think a good branding idea and a possible solution to employees would be looking at veterans as potential employees. Just a thought.

    The biggest danger aspect I see here is hiring people and then sending them into the homes of clients. The employees will need to be bonded which will add extra cost but would also be a good marketing add-on, noting all employees are bonded.

    When I have had employees I used a payroll service. Don't try that on your own. The best solution is a company that charges by the paycheck (fixed cost handled immediately), handles W2s, and best of all - those that actually make your employees theirs and take care of all aspects of reporting, taxes, etc. You may not realize it but this is quite common among small businesses. This way if any legal issue comes up regarding their taxes, etc, your payroll company is COMPLETELY responsible. And it isn't that expensive.





  5. #17

    Re: Starting a business? Maybe. Tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    The Clean Marine is genius and it would really help with you branding. I'd hire you.
    I live in an area with a lot of lakes (lake of the ozarks kind of), so it being confused with a water based business would be my only concern. But that's the name i would likely stick with.

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I agree with Cole, for a service like residential cleaning I think it would be a lot easier for the customer to have almost like a menu to choose services from. Because you don’t want to go into a situation where you are charging 100 bucks to clean somebody’s house, which is pretty ambiguous, and then you get there and the house is a total wreck.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A lot of what i read for cleaning businesses had a check out type sheet with the basic cleaning of the house, then a separate box checking to add in fridge, closets, drawers, pantries, carpet cleaning etc. The flat rate or the hourly rate seems to be something i need to research more in depth. Charge more for initial cleaning is something that is often done.

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    So what about the start up cost, can you use your GI bill to cover that?
    Something im starting to read about as well. They do have something where you can use your GI Bill as collateral to start up business but it has to be approved through the VA with training programs and the like. Also, if it is credit based ill be shit out of luck, my divorce years ago did me no favors in that department. More research needed here.

    There is also this i just found
    https://www.nav.com/blog/patriot-express-loan-116425/
    Last edited by usmccharles; 01-29-2020 at 04:13 PM.
    Bad times don't last, but bad guys do. - Razor Ramon





  6. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    14,841

    Re: Starting a business? Maybe. Tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    Something im starting to read about as well. They do have something where you can use your GI Bill as collateral to start up business but it has to be approved through the VA with training programs and the like. Also, if it is credit based ill be shit out of luck, my divorce years ago did me no favors in that department. More research needed here.
    OK, Let me know. If you gots no money this where my wife's experience will be helpful. She started hers with literally about $200.
    "Don't let your happiness depend on something you may lose." - C.S. Lewis





  7. #19

    Re: Starting a business? Maybe. Tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I would think a good branding idea and a possible solution to employees would be looking at veterans as potential employees. Just a thought.

    The biggest danger aspect I see here is hiring people and then sending them into the homes of clients. The employees will need to be bonded which will add extra cost but would also be a good marketing add-on, noting all employees are bonded.

    When I have had employees I used a payroll service. Don't try that on your own. The best solution is a company that charges by the paycheck (fixed cost handled immediately), handles W2s, and best of all - those that actually make your employees theirs and take care of all aspects of reporting, taxes, etc. You may not realize it but this is quite common among small businesses. This way if any legal issue comes up regarding their taxes, etc, your payroll company is COMPLETELY responsible. And it isn't that expensive.
    This is great info. Having them bonded is a definite. Not sure how long down the road it would be that i would need employees but what you said definitely makes sense so that way im not responsible .
    Bad times don't last, but bad guys do. - Razor Ramon





  8. #20

    Re: Starting a business? Maybe. Tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    OK, Let me know. If you gots no money this where my wife's experience will be helpful. She started hers with literally about $200.
    Thats definitely going to be the route i most likely take, because i definitely gots no money. I figure im going to try to do this slowly of the next couple months ie save for the LLC and all filing expenses, get supplies, business cards, flyers, piece by piece.
    Bad times don't last, but bad guys do. - Razor Ramon





  9. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    29,550

    Re: Starting a business? Maybe. Tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I would think a good branding idea and a possible solution to employees would be looking at veterans as potential employees. Just a thought.

    The biggest danger aspect I see here is hiring people and then sending them into the homes of clients. The employees will need to be bonded which will add extra cost but would also be a good marketing add-on, noting all employees are bonded.

    When I have had employees I used a payroll service. Don't try that on your own. The best solution is a company that charges by the paycheck (fixed cost handled immediately), handles W2s, and best of all - those that actually make your employees theirs and take care of all aspects of reporting, taxes, etc. You may not realize it but this is quite common among small businesses. This way if any legal issue comes up regarding their taxes, etc, your payroll company is COMPLETELY responsible. And it isn't that expensive.
    Well said.

    If I knew a company was hiring vets they’d get a competitor advantage from me. I know you’re not sure how it’s going to advance but something to think of.

    I had those concerns as a consumer Greg. At the end of the day you just end up having to hope basixally lol. References are huge for that
    “It’s not whether you get knocked down; it’s whether you get up.”
    – Vince Lombardi

    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/cole_jackson/

    Twitter: @ColeJacksonRSR





  10. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    14,841

    Re: Starting a business? Maybe. Tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    Thats definitely going to be the route i most likely take, because i definitely gots no money. I figure im going to try to do this slowly of the next couple months ie save for the LLC and all filing expenses, get supplies, business cards, flyers, piece by piece.
    Gotcha. That's how she did it. Obviously start with people you know. Firs step would be free. Start a facebook page and let the people you know you're starting a business. If possible see if any of them will hire you, even if it's very cheap or free if they'll start recommending you on facebook. For example what was a HUGE help for her was "insert town/city here mom's" on facebook, would ask "can anyone recommend X or where can I get X" and the people who knew what my wife did would recommend her.

    You could also do craigslist ads for next to or not much money. Post some pictures of before and after etc.

    These are things you can do for next to no cost to get some jobs and get the word out.

    Just some ideas for starters, but I HIGHLY recommend trying to get people to recommend you on the local facebook mom's group.
    "Don't let your happiness depend on something you may lose." - C.S. Lewis





  11. #23

    Re: Starting a business? Maybe. Tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Gotcha. That's how she did it. Obviously start with people you know. Firs step would be free. Start a facebook page and let the people you know you're starting a business. If possible see if any of them will hire you, even if it's very cheap or free if they'll start recommending you on facebook. For example what was a HUGE help for her was "insert town/city here mom's" on facebook, would ask "can anyone recommend X or where can I get X" and the people who knew what my wife did would recommend her.

    You could also do craigslist ads for next to or not much money. Post some pictures of before and after etc.

    These are things you can do for next to no cost to get some jobs and get the word out.

    Just some ideas for starters, but I HIGHLY recommend trying to get people to recommend you on the local facebook mom's group.
    Definitely seems like the way i will go, since this just came to me yesterday there is still a lot of research to do but what you laid out is basically the road to go down. Word of mouth is always the best advertisement. I have never done anything like this so a lot of research and note taking of the next week will be all im doing. with such limited funds, i mean very limited, this might take longer than i want but im happy to finally have a direction.

    I still need to do something with my Gi Bill, only have 7 years left to us it
    Bad times don't last, but bad guys do. - Razor Ramon





  12. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    14,841

    Re: Starting a business? Maybe. Tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    Definitely seems like the way i will go, since this just came to me yesterday there is still a lot of research to do but what you laid out is basically the road to go down. Word of mouth is always the best advertisement. I have never done anything like this so a lot of research and note taking of the next week will be all im doing. with such limited funds, i mean very limited, this might take longer than i want but im happy to finally have a direction.

    I still need to do something with my Gi Bill, only have 7 years left to us it
    Look into marketing/social media marketing. Can use that to learn how to promote your business
    "Don't let your happiness depend on something you may lose." - C.S. Lewis





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Link To Mobile Site