Page 5 of 154 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Re: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    The dems and the media have really stepped in it this time. They have created a true panic in the country. Meanwhile, the swine flu killed 12k people in the US durning the Obama admin and there was very little talk.

Still no Deaths in the us. And only one case

If you can’t beat trump, make up a crisis and blame him
    On top of which, the media has caused a panic over something the CDC is trying to get in front of. It is insanely counter-productive, and it is creating chaos where there isn't any. Meanwhile, Trump is trying to be a somewhat good steward of taxpayer money by asking for $1.25B... which is an UNGODLY amount of money... the American people are so crazy calloused to these amounts that they never stop to think about how much that really is. The cost, including land purchase, of a local HOSPITAL near me is $125M. Once everything including medical devices and everything is implemented, it will be about $200M. Trump is asking for enough money to build 5 fully operational hospitals... that is an insane amount for one disease that is pretty non-fatal. BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE! He is panned and ridiculed for "not taking this threat seriously! We must have $7BILLION!!! What?? So... we need to build 25 fully functioning hospitals??? WTF? And when asked about the high cost, a REPUBLICAN stated, "Well we need facemasks for everyone". Okay a-hole... a box of 20 is $2.97. We can provide almost a months supply for everyone in the country for under a $1B. So essentially, congress is asking for enough money to build around 24 hospitals, and provide the country with a months supply of facemasks?? Oh... and the CDC has said that facemasks won't help.

Every single time there is a disaster of ANY sort... even non-disasters, the government throws out an outrageous amount of money. When you actually start breaking down the numbers, it is a completely ridiculous number every time. What happens if we don't spend all of the money? We don't know because they ALWAYS do somehow because in government, you are rewarded for going over budget, and penalized for being under budget. Trump knows this, so he's asking for a "low" figure and knows if they need more he can get it... But that freaks out congress because what happens if the following occurs:

Trump spends $1.25B on this disease that was over-hyped in the extreme by the media, and it goes away with nearly zero fatalities, and the spread is pretty well contained. All of a sudden, people are going to start looking at the swine-flu, where Obama spent $8B and thousands died, and the media didn't even report on it hardly. People, in general, aren't that intuitive, but enough are to start questioning our governments role in disasters, and Trump... AGAIN... is going to look really f'ing good. The media is so stupid that they cannot help be get him reelected.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

Blog Entries

Infections
    COVID-19: Approximately 84,119 cases worldwide; 62 cases in the U.S. as of Feb. 28, 2020.
    Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.
    Deaths
    COVID-19: Approximately 2,871 deaths reported worldwide; 0 deaths in the U.S., as of Feb. 28, 2020.
    Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...019-vs-the-flu

Dr. Anthony Fauci at the WH this afternoon: “I have not been muzzled at all. That was a real misrepresentation of what happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    Dr. Anthony Fauci at the WH this afternoon: “I have not been muzzled at all. That was a real misrepresentation of what happened.”
    The politics of this are not dissimilar anywhere you go. Attempts to downplay the bug to keep people calm can painted as "suppressing the truth", "not doing anything" blah blah and be turned against the incumbents in government. I think the Chinese government shutdown of Wuhan was probably as much to reassure people as anything. They had to get ahead of the fear and control the narrative that they were doing everything possible.

We are seeing that here now. The reporting is going to breed hysteria, especially with Trump as president. If no one had ever heard of the Coronavirus and it was here spreading as it seems to be I'm guessing there would be zero reporting that there was a bad bug going around. It's doing what flu does. Killing older folks and medically at risk patients. I doubt it will even show up statistically as being any different than any other year when it's said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I doubt it will even show up statistically as being any different than any other year when it's said and done.
    I think all of the sane people agree with what Dr Drew said.

The media is pushing the panic.

The question is...why?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    I think all of the sane people agree with what Dr Drew said.

The media is pushing the panic.

The question is...why?
    Ratings above all. A bonus would be to blame Trump and hope it sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Ratings above all. A bonus would be to blame Trump and hope it sticks.
    I would say blame trump is the number one reason
    Ratings would be number two

Blog Entries

They can’t blame Trump if no one is watching.

Ratings is very astute and of course a big part of it. Public health and safety and the well being of our collective portfolios is second to "clicks" and ratings/people tuning in. Were it not for the upcoming Super Tuesday cluster fukk it would be "All Corona All The Time".

It's the tail end of cold and flu season. If you are old and sick you need to be careful. Everyone should cover their mouths when sneezing and coughing and wash hands. There is absolutely nothing else that can be done short of shutting down travel to and from heavily infected China.

10. Re: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    They can’t blame Trump if no one is watching.
    Tell that to CNN.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    Tell that to CNN.
    Fair point

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    Tell that to CNN.
    This is one of the most impressively sarcastic remarks I have seen in a long while. Thank you, Blueridge, for setting a bar to which we will all strive. May the blessings of the universe forever shine on you and yours.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock