Results 1,801 to 1,812 of 1842

Thread: Coronavirus

Blog Entries

Re: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    U.K. trial on hydroxychloroquine: ‘It doesn’t work’

By Sarah Wheaton
    06/05/2020 11:14 AM EDT

BRUSSELS — A large, randomized U.K. trial found “no clinical benefit” of hydroxychloroquine to treat hospitalized Covid-19 patients, researchers announced Friday.

“It doesn’t work,” said Martin Landray, one of the lead researchers, at a briefing. Patients receiving hydroxychloroquine died at about the same rate — about one in four — as those receiving regular care in a randomized trial being conducted by the University of Oxford and the U.K. National Health Service.

Researchers said they’re no longer giving patients the malaria drug in the so-called Recovery trial, which will continue to evaluate three other treatments as potential coronavirus fixes.

For anyone who’s hospitalized, “hydroxychloroquine is not the right treatment,” Landray said.
    Researchers reviewed their data earlier than planned following a request Thursday by the U.K.’s drugs regulator.

It’s the latest twist for the controversial drug, championed by U.S. President Donald Trump, among others. Last month, a massive observational study published in the Lancet suggested it increased the risk of death, prompting the World Health Organization to pause its study of hydroxychloroquine.

As questions about that study grew, leading to the Lancet’s retraction on Thursday, the WHO restarted its hydroxychloroquine study, saying the data from current randomized trials don’t show it causing extra harm.

The WHO now plans to once again reconsider testing hydroxychloroquine after the U.K. researchers informed the U.N. health body of their determinations Friday morning, said Peter Horby, the other principal investigator.

Among the 11,000 patients in the Recovery trial, 1,542 were randomly assigned to receive hydroxychloroquine compared to 3,132 getting regular care, with the rest using the other treatments in the study. After 28 days in the hospital, 26 percent died on hydroxychloroquine, while 24 percent in the control group died, a statistically equal result.

There was no evidence the drug shortened hospital stays or otherwise improved outcomes, researchers said. Nor was there evidence it caused greater risks.

To view online:
    https://subscriber.politicopro.com/h...t-work-3981206
    Dirt, please, let it go man. Hydroxychloroquine is eating you up inside. I can find just as many articles about how it does help. It's over. I've never seen someone so intent on proving something. Your like a pit bull on a T-bone. I heard Trump takes a baby Aspirin daily. Time to ban Aspirin?

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    Dirt, please, let it go man. Hydroxychloroquine is eating you up inside. I can find just as many articles about how it does help. It's over. I've never seen someone so intent on proving something. Your like a pit bull on a T-bone. I heard Trump takes a baby Aspirin daily. Time to ban Aspirin?
    I thought I read lately that they are now saying taking baby aspirin daily might not be a good thing to do. I don't remember if it had to do with stroke or GI problems. Or, mabye someone found out Trump does it and there fore it had to be bad...
    Last edited by BustOfPallas; 06-05-2020 at 03:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I thought I read lately that they are now saying taking baby aspirin daily might not be a good thing to do. I don't remember if it had to do with stroke or GI problems. Or, mabye someone found out Trump does it and there fore it had to be bad...
    Aspirin can potentially be bad for your stomach, but it is a blood thinner and can help to prevent strokes, clots. You have to decide which risk you would rather take.

4. Re: Coronavirus

Interesting take on football being played this year if/when the testing ramps up. I'm still not quite so sure, but w/the almighty dollar pushing things, who knows?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...rtan-dhp-feeds

I took baby aspirin for years (high cholesterol, some family history) until it turned out to be bad for your GI and possibly cause stomach bleeding. I think if you need it because of stroke history or family heart attack history - well that is a decision for your internist and you to make. I do not take it anymore.

6. Re: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    Interesting take on football being played this year if/when the testing ramps up. I'm still not quite so sure, but w/the almighty dollar pushing things, who knows?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...rtan-dhp-feeds
    Wow. Surprising that the press actually attributed this to the protests.

I wonder how many others were infected because of the protests/riots

7. Re: Coronavirus

I had heard things were really messed up in Pennsylvania when it comes to the Wuhan virus. This kind of lays it all out. To the few here who actually live there (I used to), my condolences.

https://www.lancaster-blog.com/the-c...h2KnM.facebook

8. Re: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    Wow. Surprising that the press actually attributed this to the protests.

I wonder how many others were infected because of the protests/riots
    Yeah. I just don't see how this is all gonna play out this season. I'm still wondering if there will be any football this year, both at the collegiate level and pros. Guess we'll see.

Aspirin is bad for children as it can cause a rare but severe condition. Haven't heard of it being bad for adults.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2bynight View Post
    I took baby aspirin for years (high cholesterol, some family history) until it turned out to be bad for your GI and possibly cause stomach bleeding. I think if you need it because of stroke history or family heart attack history - well that is a decision for your internist and you to make. I do not take it anymore.
    I still take baby aspirin, sometimes twice a day, plus Candesartan to control high blood pressure. With what's going on today, that is a very hard thing to control... Bc

11. Re: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I still take baby aspirin, sometimes twice a day, plus Candesartan to control high blood pressure. With what's going on today, that is a very hard thing to control... Bc
    I have an older sister that takes one a day and has been for as long as I can remember. Her doctor is totally fine w/it. Everyone's different, for sure. We gotta do what we gotta do to keep on keepin' on, right?

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    I have an older sister that takes one a day and has been for as long as I can remember. Her doctor is totally fine w/it. Everyone's different, for sure. We gotta do what we gotta do to keep on keepin' on, right?
    Absolutely! Maybe if I stop taking that baby aspirin I'll be alright, who can say? However, since I feel like I'm 30 years younger (make that 20, OK my wife just said "10") I won't stop until they start throwing dirt on me (if you know what I mean)... Bc

P.S. - blueridgemtnman, I hope you have your sister to share life with for many more years