Page 84 of 154 FirstFirst ... 8283848586 ... LastLast
Results 997 to 1,008 of 1842

Thread: Coronavirus

Re: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by 2bynight View Post
    You do not believe there can be 200K deaths. Willing to bet a month ago you thought there could not be 1000 deaths a day.

Your comparisons make no sense. The person next to you will not fall ill or die because you get a sunburn or eat fat filled foods. The virus possibly will cause the person next to you to become ill/die or become the next carrier to infect others who will fall ill or die.

Businesses will not reopen in a month unless you think the gov't is going to risk millions dead. The horrible part of this is say in 30 days only 100 people in the US have the virus. You then let them out into the public as businesses reopen and they are asymptomatic and do not know they have it. They then expose and infect 1000 who then infect 10000 and on and on. It is a catch-22 situation and a conundrum. What is needed is a quick serology test to show who is cured and now immune. Place them in a national database and send them back out to work as they will not infect anyone else (as far as we know). Keep doing this iteration. I know this is a daunting proposal. The Defense Logistics Agency can apply the planning to do this. I don't know what else can work.
    I have been looking at the numbers. We are 6 times more populous than Italy. We may go up to 4 or 5 K deaths a day for at least 6 weeks. That's 175K right there.

I'm praying and hoping we won't but it's going to be what it's going to be.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    Curious to see who this has impacted.

No one I know has this. A coworker (ex now) husband was in France skiing a few weeks ago. He came home and self isolated. 10 days later, a cough started. Fatigue. Slight fever. He went to the doc on Monday. Was told he probably has it. No sense testing. Just to home and rest the next two weeks

Another friend has a child with a fever and cough. Went to the pediatrician. Was told the same. Recover at home. Will be ok

Those are the only ones I know.

Job wise. I was let go yesterday. Told it was because of covid19. My sales numbers were in the top 50% of the company. Others were kept that are performing worse. Others were kept that have been there for less time. I wasn’t told was I was selected or how many were let go. No warning, no severance. I am in outside sales and haven’t been able to call on accounts for the past week. I was told I was fired, but without reason. Emailed a letter about unemployment and covid19 benefits.

Two other friends were let go from their jobs. But the term “fired” was not used.

Unemployment is crazy. So many people trying to signup. I was told to wait a week
    Damn Vlad. Sorry to hear that. I don't know people affected, but I know people who know people who have it or have died.

Depending on how long this goes on I'm expecting to be laid-off or furloughed or something.

I hope everyone has saved for a rainy day.

No one I know has this. A coworker (ex now) husband was in France skiing a few weeks ago. He came home and self isolated. 10 days later, a cough started. Fatigue. Slight fever. He went to the doc on Monday. Was told he probably has it. No sense testing. Just to home and rest the next two weeks

Another friend has a child with a fever and cough. Went to the pediatrician. Was told the same. Recover at home. Will be ok

Job wise. I was let go yesterday. Told it was because of covid19. My sales numbers were in the top 50% of the company. Others were kept that are performing worse. Others were kept that have been there for less time. I wasn’t told was I was selected or how many were let go. No warning, no severance. I am in outside sales and haven’t been able to call on accounts for the past week. I was told I was fired, but without reason. Emailed a letter about unemployment and covid19 benefits.

Two other friends were let go from their jobs. But the term “fired” was not used.

Unemployment is crazy. So many people trying to signup. I was told to wait a week
    Very sorry to hear that Vlad. This is the the underwater part of iceberg we're hitting now. Companies are contracting their workforce in anticipation and in order to survive. People are worried about deaths but more people will be impacted severely by layoffs/unemployment. Everyone needs to be sensitive to that as well.

Don't let it mess with your head. We are in uncharted waters here.

Vlad, I am so sorry to hear that. My heart goes out to you. I have been laid off twice in my career because the company had bad numbers and that was that, so I know how you feel. It is a gut punch, it sucks, but you will pull though this.

I have a buddy of mine with Covid-19. Still in hospital nearly two weeks. After that isolation for several more weeks. It takes a toll.

5. Re: Coronavirus

I will be fine. I am in sales. This isn’t the first time I was let go

2001. Just after 9-11. Happened to lots of us. Misery in company
    2012. A company realignment. About 25% of the sales force. Misery in company
    This time, I will have lots to be miserable with. The hard thing about this time is the uncertainty. No one is hiring. I can’t even start my own thing. Even simple things like dump runs. People arent spending money. Good thing I am a saver.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Damn Vlad. Sorry to hear that. I don't know people affected, but I know people who know people who have it or have died.

Depending on how long this goes on I'm expecting to be laid-off or furloughed or something.

I hope everyone has saved for a rainy day.
    I'm sorry for both you and Vlad. I know several people that work in healthcare... so far, knock on wood, none of them have it. What people aren't saying is that two of these healthcare friends with direct contact to these COVID patients both got fevers and coughs. Both were tested for COVID with the newest stuff, and both came back negative for COVID, and the flu, so there is a bad cold/bug going around as well. To my knowledge, 8-10% of the people tested in total are coming back with COVID... the rest are just sick. There is a school teacher nearby that got it because her husband works for a company that deals with China I guess. He was asymptomatic, but she was sick. Only known confirmed case out of everyone I know. I have 2 friends that are PAs up in CT for the ER... they have witnessed 1 death each directly from COVID. They are noticing deaths from a LOT of other illnesses go up though because their hospital system runs at about 75% capacity usually. They are devoting 99% of their resources to COVID patients. My one buddy said that 3 people in his wing died of brochitis. The other watched a couple flu patients die because she had no resources or anything to help.

I know COVID isn't great, but they are seeing far more death from this reaction and their lack of resources to do their normal job than they are seeing from COVID itself... that is also a problem. Their Hospital in CT (right north of the NY border) is currently a "war zone" type environment, but nobody is reporting WHY it is that way. It's a war zone because right now, if it aint COVID, you don't get shit to help... you are running from wing to wing to find pharmaceuticals for your current patients, equipment you need. People are coming in en-masse to get tested so that is taking up a ton of resources.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by DitkasSausage View Post
    I'm sorry for both you and Vlad. I know several people that work in healthcare... so far, knock on wood, none of them have it. What people aren't saying is that two of these healthcare friends with direct contact to these COVID patients both got fevers and coughs. Both were tested for COVID with the newest stuff, and both came back negative for COVID, and the flu, so there is a bad cold/bug going around as well. To my knowledge, 8-10% of the people tested in total are coming back with COVID... the rest are just sick. There is a school teacher nearby that got it because her husband works for a company that deals with China I guess. He was asymptomatic, but she was sick. Only known confirmed case out of everyone I know. I have 2 friends that are PAs up in CT for the ER... they have witnessed 1 death each directly from COVID. They are noticing deaths from a LOT of other illnesses go up though because their hospital system runs at about 75% capacity usually. They are devoting 99% of their resources to COVID patients. My one buddy said that 3 people in his wing died of brochitis. The other watched a couple flu patients die because she had no resources or anything to help.

I know COVID isn't great, but they are seeing far more death from this reaction and their lack of resources to do their normal job than they are seeing from COVID itself... that is also a problem. Their Hospital in CT (right north of the NY border) is currently a "war zone" type environment, but nobody is reporting WHY it is that way. It's a war zone because right now, if it aint COVID, you don't get shit to help... you are running from wing to wing to find pharmaceuticals for your current patients, equipment you need. People are coming in en-masse to get tested so that is taking up a ton of resources.
    Just found out my wife's company is reducing salaries 25%. Ouch. I asked if that was just to stay solvent and would be paid retroactively and she said TBD.

So our family has hit the iceberg. Not sure about my job. We are 100% commercial business. I guess we'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I have been looking at the numbers. We are 6 times more populous than Italy. We may go up to 4 or 5 K deaths a day for at least 6 weeks. That's 175K right there.

I'm praying and hoping we won't but it's going to be what it's going to be.
    That isn't what it's going to be... at all. Italy was still bringing in people that were affected as recently as mid-March because of their arrangement to have China building their transportation system. Italy, even as people were dying, were injecting MORE infected people into their system. We are not. 2 weeks ago everyone kept comparing us to where Italy was two weeks prior... we're nowhere near those numbers. On top of which, and I've said this a few times in this thread, Italy has nowhere NEAR the healthcare we do.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

Blog Entries

Just found out my wife's company is reducing salaries 25%. Ouch. I asked if that was just to stay solvent and would be paid retroactively and she said TBD.

So our family has hit the iceberg. Not sure about my job. We are 100% commercial business. I guess we'll see what happens.
    I'd take 25% and keeping benefits over laid off!

I'm sorry to hear that. Lot's of very bad news economically hitting a lot of good people right now. I wish it wasn't so.

Blog Entries

I think that a part of the original concern, was due to the manner in which the virus would overwhelm the hospitals. There was thought to those who would most likely die if infected. Then, there was thought to those who would have a chance of surviving with proper medical care, but who wouldn't be able to actually get that proper medical care and would thus enter a more high risk category.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I think that a part of the original concern, was due to the manner in which the virus would overwhelm the hospitals. There was thought to those who would most likely die if infected. Then, there was thought to those who would have a chance of surviving with proper medical care, but who wouldn't be able to actually get that proper medical care and would thus enter a more high risk category.
    That's exactly right. The point of the quarantine isn't due 100% in response to the severity of COVID itself. It is to keep hospitals underwhelmed instead of NYC status. Hospitals in that region are making terrible decisions now in regards to NON-COVID patients due to lack of supplies.