Page 1 of 154 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Coronavirus

My 13 year old was saying there are a lot of memes about how the coronavirus being a very amateurish "Plague Inc." attempt to create a deadly virus because they made it too deadly to fast, lol.

I downloaded that game and gave it a little go but only played a few times and never got very good at it. My kid mastered it and has wiped out the world many times.

Anyway, this seems to look like what the beginning of a bad outbreak would look like.

Blog Entries

Re: Coronavirus

What's considered a high death rate for a virus? This one seems to be under 1%, right?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    What's considered a high death rate for a virus? This one seems to be under 1%, right?
    Do we have accurate information on that? I'm not trying to bash China but I'm wondering if they maybe downplayed what they know.

In any event I don't have that information. It just came up yesterday and my little phone addict daughter and I shared a chuckle and I learned she is excellent at that game and evolving diseases to cause maximum harm. In a sick way I was kind of proud of her.

It's also going on in the news so I wanted to create a thread to talk about it.

Blog Entries

If left untreated - yes, it can be fatal.

The primary demographic of fatally impacted - old people and babies. Why? Their immune system is not great.

The reason why this is so bad in places like China is because there are so many people crammed on top of each other.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    If left untreated - yes, it can be fatal.

The primary demographic of fatally impacted - old people and babies. Why? Their immune system is not great.

The reason why this is so bad in places like China is because there are so many people crammed on top of each other.
    Ironically the Spanish Flu had the target demographic inverted with healthy adults being impacted the worst than those traditionally with weaker immune systems. I read it had to do with damage caused by a strong immune system response. That is what killed. Cytokine storms or something like that.

Chinese built a hospital just to address this threat in 10 days. Amazing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/c...doors-n1128531

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post

That hospital will be cracking and falling apart within the next year or two.

Yes... it is certainly amazing what you can do with slave-labor. The government forced all of the top engineers in the country to work on this, and they brought in local people without consent, to work in horribly dangerous conditions. I'd venture to guess that about a dozen people died during this construction. Also... from my understanding... this "hospital" is not exactly state of the art. It is basically a bunch of cells with beds so that people can comfortably be locked up and kept in quarantine. There's not going to be any sort of surgery unit or really any treatment related facilities. It is going to be a jail with nicer painted walls and tiled floors.

Believing ANYTHING coming out of China is a mistake. I remember all of the "awesome news" coming out of Soviet Russia as well... and when we finally got in there, we realized that they were making it all up and that they were technologically about 15 years behind us across the board.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by DitkasSausage View Post
    Yes... it is certainly amazing what you can do with slave-labor. The government forced all of the top engineers in the country to work on this, and they brought in local people without consent, to work in horribly dangerous conditions. I'd venture to guess that about a dozen people died during this construction. Also... from my understanding... this "hospital" is not exactly state of the art. It is basically a bunch of cells with beds so that people can comfortably be locked up and kept in quarantine. There's not going to be any sort of surgery unit or really any treatment related facilities. It is going to be a jail with nicer painted walls and tiled floors.

Believing ANYTHING coming out of China is a mistake. I remember all of the "awesome news" coming out of Soviet Russia as well... and when we finally got in there, we realized that they were making it all up and that they were technologically about 15 years behind us across the board.
    I understand all of that.

Of course it's not a permanent structure. That's not what it is all about.

The scale and turnaround time is impressive.

It's remarkable how that country is able to bring resources to bear, including raw manpower, when they really want to accomplish something.

Being authoritarian can make a country more nimble that way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    That hospital will be cracking and falling apart within the next year or two.
    Kind of like Fed Ex field.

Blog Entries

I understand all of that.

Of course it's not a permanent structure. That's not what it is all about.

The scale and turnaround time is impressive.

It's remarkable how that country is able to bring resources to bear, including raw manpower, when they really want to accomplish something.

Being authoritarian can make a country more nimble that way.
    Kind of like the Amish building a barn for a family.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    Kind of like Fed Ex field.
    Lol, I remember a news story joking that Fed-Ex Field, or Raljon, felt like it was purchased that was purchased from Ikea. I always thought that was funny. That place was a mess when it was built if I recall. I think there were a lot of obstructed/f'd up view seats and it was just very bare bones and cheap and characterless.