Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Kobe

Blog Entries

Re: RIP Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Just awful news, my wife told me about it while we were out shopping yesterday and it still doesn't feel real.

I was never a big Kobe fan...didn't like the Lakers or Kobe personally, but I always respected his game...he was the kind of player where he thrived on it, and MADE you respect and fear him on the court. His work ethic was obviously legendary and inspired a LOT of us in so many ways, not just the court, but whatever you did, you could embrace his mentality of putting in the work.

After he retired, and I got to listen and watch him so much more outside of pregame and postgame interviews, and you got to see his personality more and more, I came to really like him over the past 2 years or so. I fully appreciated watching him play...I really only caught the last 6 years of MJ's career while I got to watch all of Kobe's...I just wish we all had more time to appreciate Kobe the man as he started to pull back the curtain more of who he truly is beyond the basketball madman.

RIP Kobe and Gigi. And I am definitely praying for their family...I can't imagine the pain his wife and other daughters are going through right now...to lose their husband/daughter/dad/sister in the same moment and to have to grieve in public. This sucks.
    Ditto.

The last few years has really been the time that I found myself liking Kobe a lot more. That window into who he really was, not just the competitor was nice to see. Even his last tweet, praising and supporting a friend for passing one of his accomplishments, I think really showed who he was as a person, which is a lot different than as a player. Im glad we got to see that other side, even if it was cut way too short.

Its just a very sad situation and my heart does feel for the families of all 9 on board.
    -JAB

I grew up a Lakers fan during the Magic Johnson years. When Shaq and Kobe played together and had their beef, I was on Shaq's side. Despide that, Kobe slowly became my favourite player of all-time. I regularly rewatch his last game, still giving me goose-bumps. I guess it will take some time to watch it again as it will be too difficult to enjoy it. This one hits hard, especially since we're born in the same year. Of all the people my age, he was the one who inspired me the most. Devastating that so many young kids died in this tragedy as well. Condolences to all friends and family of all who was on board.

Blog Entries

Tough one, basically grew up watching the NBA alongside Kobe's growth in the league. Part of that whole generation that says Kobe whenever they throw something in the trash. Definitely keeping his family and friends, and the family and friends of the others killed, in my thoughts.

Definitely make sure you send that text you've been thinking of sending or tell someone you love them, you never know when it's going to be your or their time.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Tough one, basically grew up watching the NBA alongside Kobe's growth in the league. Part of that whole generation that says Kobe whenever they throw something in the trash. Definitely keeping his family and friends, and the family and friends of the others killed, in my thoughts.

Definitely make sure you send that text you've been thinking of sending or tell someone you love them, you never know when it's going to be your or their time.
    I play mens league Thursday nights and we were down 19 with 3 minutes left so I threw up a deep 3 with the signature "KOBE!" just goofing around and it went in lol.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Whether you were a fan of basketball or a fan of greatness we all had a connection with Kobe. I've been fortunate to watch greats like Magic, Kareem, Bird and now Kobe/Lebron.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

I was actually watching the golf tournament when they broke in with the news. I knew he and Tiger were friends and it would hit him hard. The announcers weren’t exactly sure if he knew or not, then come to find out they do not tell him to after the round. I believe his reaction was “excuse me, what? “ Tiger said he heard them screaming in the crowd “do it for mamba” but wasn’t sure what that was about.
    On a sidenote, the whole thing of the Jonas brothers not being able to do interviews because of Kobes passing just strikes me is a bit phony, ( Could be I don’t have the whole story though ) As Tiger, was a good friend, was able to be interviewed after the round Even though he was visibly shaken

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    L.A. Sheriff apparently said that the family found out through TMZ posting.
    Disgusting. Another reminder (not that I needed it) of why I try to not visit their site or support them in any way.

Not an NBA fan, and was never a fan of his, but my heart goes out to all of the victims and their surviving families and loved ones. People have lost parents and siblings, in the case of the surviving Altobelli children, both parents. Two fathers and a mom had their lives end in terror as they helplessly couldn't do anything to save themselves, or much worse, to try and save their children. Terrible. This life can be so cruel sometimes. My heart goes out to them all.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

It was interesting to to see how they covered the breaking news during the ProBowl. After touchdowns players put on basketball themed celebrations.

Lisa Salters, sideline reporter, got a lot commentary from players, which is more interesting than what they'd otherwise have to say at these games. I had forgotten she was once reporter in Baltimore in the nineties, that is, until she referred to Baltimore as "we" when interviewing Lamar about bringing home a MVP trophy. She also went to the same high school--Upper Merion--as Kobe.

I was thinking about how Kobe--one of the youngest players ever to play in the NBA--wasn't necessarily the most talented, but everyone talked about how hard he worked, and just kept getting better and better. It made me realize Lamar could be the same type of player in his sport.

Always makes you feel vulnerable when someone young and famous with all the resources in the world passes on so suddenly. If it could happen to them it could happen to anyone. Life is short. Cherish every moment

As a kid, Basketball was my favorite sport, and having been born in 1990, the 2000's were my formative years as a sports fan. Back then it was all about Kobe, TMac, Vince Carter, Allen Iverson, and Paul Pierce (not counting bigs). Everyone had their favorite, mine was TMac, but regardless of who was your favorite, everyone knew Kobe was the best.

He represented greatness for my generation. So, losing him so unexpectedly, is like losing an idol. No realizes their heros are mortal too. A part of my childhood has died, and it's surreal.

This one hurts. It hurts even worse knowing his daughter, and 2 other young girls were with him. My heart aches not only for the loss of one of my heros, but for the families of each of the 9 lives lost.

I for one, will always try to keep that Mamba mentality alive. RIP Kobe!

* correction, Kobe went to Lower Merion; Salters to Upper.