Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Would you do this trade to get a king's ransom?

Here is the question - skip the who for now

If you could get two firsts and a second in trade for a first round pick (player) and a (non-HC) coach would you do it?

Caveats

1. The first you give up is this year in the form of a player you select who takes a roster spot which is mostly inactive on game day for one year
    2. The firsts you get are next year and the following
    3. The second is the next year like the first
    4. Your pick is towards the end of the first round, the picks you get are towards the top of the rounds

Do you do that?

I think it is crazy not to do it unless you absolutely have to win this year AND that is entirely dependent on your first round pick this year.

I'm trying to figure out if my idea (based on the underlying draft value and not emotional reaction) of getting Jalen Hurts and trading him and Roman for 2 firsts and a second is reasonable or not.

I think that since you move from very low round drafting to very high round drafting is the only way to get 3 stud valuable picks if you have a winning team without paying a king's ransom. Instead this is a way for the king to collect a king's ransom. I don't think the price is very high either.

What if a perennial playoff team were to get two top 5 picks and a top 5 second round pick added to it? Wouldn't that tend to fix three big holes in an enormous way? Isn't delaying a year a reasonable price to pay?

Thank you for your consideration.

Re: Would you do this trade to get a king's ransom?

I can't see how you would find a trade partner that would make that trade.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

I may be confused. You're saying to draft Jalen Hurts with our first pick, then trade him and Roman for a 2021 1st and 2nd plus a 2022 1st, to a team that will draft in the top 5, or at least top half of the draft.

My question is, why would the Ravens or another team do that? That's a serious gamble to spend your first hoping to trade. And if another perennial trash team wants Jalen that bad, they'd likely just draft him before he fell to us anyway

Blog Entries

Draft pick value goes down 1 round per year.

A 2021 1st round pick is worth a 2020 2nd round pick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post
    I may be confused. You're saying to draft Jalen Hurts with our first pick, then trade him and Roman for a 2021 1st and 2nd plus a 2022 1st, to a team that will draft in the top 5, or at least top half of the draft.

My question is, why would the Ravens or another team do that? That's a serious gamble to spend your first hoping to trade. And if another perennial trash team wants Jalen that bad, they'd likely just draft him before he fell to us anyway
    You use the year to build hype for Hurts (as Lamar's back up) and sell it as a turn-key Ravens system clone with the two most important parts (QB and system architect HC) as the package being traded.

Yes there is gambling involved, yes there has to be a desperate team who misses out on Lawrence, Hurts would need to demonstrate ability in the system, Roman MUST like Hurts (this is the real key to the deal) - but the payoff could be enormous. EDC swindled a 5th round pick for a kicker! He could pull this off.

IF (big if) Roman likes Hurts for his QB and wants to be a HC with another team, this is the way to go about it. Benefits all parties.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Draft pick value goes down 1 round per year.

A 2021 1st round pick is worth a 2020 2nd round pick.
    Where is this from? Is that FS with San Diego worth less this year (2020) than the Ravens first round pick of 2020?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    Where is this from? Is that FS with San Diego worth less this year (2020) than the Ravens first round pick of 2020?
    I don’t understand your FS with San Diego ‘question’.

But look at any draft value chart.

Blog Entries

I don’t understand your FS with San Diego ‘question’.

But look at any draft value chart.
    Derwin James, is he worth less in his third year than the Ravens pick at 28 this year?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    Derwin James, is he worth less in his third year than the Ravens pick at 28 this year?
    Derwin James is worth whatever a team can get for him.

My point is that when talking straight up draft value; draft picks value drops a round each year removed from the current draft.
    A 1st round pick in the next draft is valued as a 2nd round pick today.

Maybe you knew that already.....I don’t know....

But if your going have an entire thread where draft value is the main idea then knowledge of draft valuation is important.

You seem defensive about it and I don’t understand why?

Derwin James is worth whatever a team can get for him.

My point is that when talking straight up draft value; draft picks value drops a round each year removed from the current draft.
    A 1st round pick in the next draft is valued as a 2nd round pick today.

Maybe you knew that already.....I don’t know....

But if your going have an entire thread where draft value is the main idea then knowledge of draft valuation is important.

You seem defensive about it and I don’t understand why?
    Seems he's suggesting you make this trade during the 2021 season off-season rather than during the draft.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

You could do it in Madden. In real life? No. When is the last time any team has ever traded for a Coordinator? I'm not even sure that's within the rules.

Blog Entries

Question Re: Would you do this trade to get a king's ransom?

Question : how would you feel about a reverse of the LJ8 2018 trade? Meaning, what if the Ravens traded our 1st round (#28) pick to a team that has a high 2nd round pick plus their 2021 2nd round pick? ... Bc

P.S. - Iamjacks, I don't mean to hijack your thread. If so, my apologies.