Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The Most Important WR Attribute No One Talks About: Catch In Traffic

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    He hasn't really flashed much at the Senior Bowl though and Culex is right, coverage in the NFL is on another level. He'll probably remain a 4/5th round guy unless he kills the combine (unlikely) We can do better than him IMO.

Mims (Baylor), Johnson (Texas) Jefferson (Florida) and KJ Hill (OU?) have been the standout WRs according to most reports I've seen. And they'll all be there in the 2nd and probably 3rd round.
    That's also leaving out underclassmen since they don't play at the senior bowl.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    That's also leaving out underclassmen since they don't play at the senior bowl.

Yup. Out of those 4 only two will probably make it into the Top 10 WRs in this Draft!

Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, Higgins, Shenault, Jeferson (LSU), Reagor, Hamler, Aiyuk...

Receivers in college can rarely be judged on 'contested' catches since QB's aren't throwing to the tight windows that exist in the NFL. A college receiver is generally 2 steps clear before at QB will even target them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Receivers in college can rarely be judged on 'contested' catches since QB's aren't throwing to the tight windows that exist in the NFL. A college receiver is generally 2 steps clear before at QB will even target them.
    watch the highlight tape, he comes down with the ball in traffic

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Which is concerning if said college receiver is always catching contested balls

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    What worries me is if you're making a bunch of contested catches against college DBs chances are you're likely gonna struggle with separation in the NFL. Take Calvin Ridley for example who I liked a lot coming out if you check his college tape the man was always in his own area code.
    This is a good point. If a guy is making too many contested catches, there's a good chance he isn't getting enough separation on the college level to be any good on the NFL level. I've always been the type of fan that is easily enamored with the type of WR prospect that shows strong ability to make contested catches. As a result, I overvalued guys like Simmie Cobbs, and Laquon Treadwell that showed a knack for contested catch ability, but yet were also unable to get separation. I like to think I've learned from those misses. Now, I think that a WR needs some combination of plus ability in both winning contested catches, and in getting separation. The two go hand in hand. If you have a guy that is a beast in winning contested catches, he doesn't need to be able to get crazy separation. However, he does still need to show at least decent ability to generate separation. Successful examples of this type are Dez Bryant, or Anquan Boldin. On the flip side, you could have a WR that isn't all that good at winning contested catches as long as he can generate very good separation. Successful examples of this type would be Wes Welker or DeSean Jackson. Each of the guys I named got things done a little differently, but they all had some combination of those two skills, among others, that allowed them to be successful. With that said, I think it's important to look for both qualities in a prospect. They are two sides of the same coin.

Quote Originally Posted by tnsmith90 View Post
    This is a good point. If a guy is making too many contested catches, there's a good chance he isn't getting enough separation on the college level to be any good on the NFL level. I've always been the type of fan that is easily enamored with the type of WR prospect that shows strong ability to make contested catches. As a result, I overvalued guys like Simmie Cobbs, and Laquon Treadwell that showed a knack for contested catch ability, but yet were also unable to get separation. I like to think I've learned from those misses. Now, I think that a WR needs some combination of plus ability in both winning contested catches, and in getting separation. The two go hand in hand. If you have a guy that is a beast in winning contested catches, he doesn't need to be able to get crazy separation. However, he does still need to show at least decent ability to generate separation. Successful examples of this type are Dez Bryant, or Anquan Boldin. On the flip side, you could have a WR that isn't all that good at winning contested catches as long as he can generate very good separation. Successful examples of this type would be Wes Welker or DeSean Jackson. Each of the guys I named got things done a little differently, but they all had some combination of those two skills, among others, that allowed them to be successful. With that said, I think it's important to look for both qualities in a prospect. They are two sides of the same coin.
    On the flip side, when he came out I think Godwin had the second best contested catch rate.

Hollywood is too small to take shots on the inside of the field deep.....When did you need the big guy who could really work the inside of the field so they can't cheat on us.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Which is concerning if said college receiver is always catching contested balls
    I agree. Sometimes you might get a Boldin with those contested catch receivers but more often they just can't get open. It's such a gamble that I'd only pick one of those guys late.

Look at N'Keal Harry this year. A first round pick but even a QB as accurate as Brady hardly targeted him because he was never open. A player who can get consistent seperation is a better fit for Lamar.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I agree. Sometimes you might get a Boldin with those contested catch receivers but more often they just can't get open. It's such a gamble that I'd only pick one of those guys late.

Look at N'Keal Harry this year. A first round pick but even a QB as accurate as Brady hardly targeted him because he was never open. A player who can get consistent seperation is a better fit for Lamar.
    Right. There's good reason as to why it isn't talked about.

Evaluating college receivers is all about evaluating their ability to separate, catching consistency, and the speed to catch a slant then turn up field for a 40 yard touchdown, etc. Guys have to be athletically elusive.

The top two guys in this coming draft are Jeudy and Lamb. Have fun trying to find a bunch of contested receptions they made in college because most of their stuff has a stupid amount of separation then they get a bunch of YAC out of it. That's what you want.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post

N'Keal Harry is a terrible example for your position.

1. Harry was hurt most of the year. He only started 5 games and played in 7.
    2. No other receiver outside of Julian Edleman and James White (a RB) caught more than 30 passes from Tom Brady all year.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.