Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Most Important WR Attribute No One Talks About: Catch In Traffic

Every year, we all do the same thing. We fawn over the H/W/S guys (height, weight, speed). I get it - why wouldn't we? What's not to like about a 6'4" 220lb WR that's built like a super hero and runs a 4.35 40-yard dash? There is a lot that goes into scouting WR's from college to the pros. You certainly don't want a slow guy with questionable athleticism. But, what is a WR's primary job on the field?

Catching.

Sure, getting open and having speed and quickness to get open definitely improves the odds of making a catch. But in the NFL, there are these other guys called corners and most corners in the NFL are equally as fast and athletic as NFL receivers. Many corners are more athletic. The point is that receivers are rarely open in the NFL. They have to be able to haul in passes with defenders around them. They have to be able to use leverage and position well.

One guy I always think back to is Alshon Jeffery when he was coming out of South Carolina. He wasn't the fittest guy on the field (everyone has seen that picture, I'm sure). He wasn't an overly athletic, quick-twitch, speedster. He ran a 4.48 at his pro-day, but on tape, he doesn't play that fast. However, what made me really like him as a pro prospect was because the guy just pulled down passes in traffic like a power forward on the boards. It was "his ball".

If the Ravens have a shot at someone like CeeDee Lamb, Laviska Shenault, or Jerry Jeudy...they should go for it. Those guys look like potential generational players (definitely think that about Lamb).

However, one guy that's flying under the radar that I think would be a perfect fit on this team with this offense is Tennessee's Jauan Jennings.

He's tough, catches everything in traffic or wide open, he breaks tackles, he is a solid and willing blocker, he can play special teams, and he runs good routes.

He's listed at 6'3" 210lbs (or there about). On tape...I see a 4.5-4.6 guy. However, I just love his "my ball mentality". He was consistently making receptions over defenders on the field. He's not afraid to go over the middle and make plays on those tough routes where you know you're going to get hit.

Highly recommend folks check him out.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: The Most Important WR Attribute No One Talks About: Catch In Traffic

Damn wicked - when I saw the thread title I grabbed a youtube of Jennings - he's the guy and can play all kinds of gadget positions if needed.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Damn wicked - when I saw the thread title I grabbed a youtube of Jennings - he's the guy and can play all kinds of gadget positions if needed.

For sure. I LOVE this kid as a prospect. If the Ravens only take 1 receiver, I hope it is Jennings. Plus, I think his personality would be a great fit in this locker room. He seems to really love playing the game. I think he and Lamar would play off of each other very well.

I also love how physical he is. He takes it to defenders and doesn't avoid contact. Love that. A lot of corners have quit in them if they get handled.

Per drafttek.com

https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Dr...ollege-QBs.asp

Juan Jennings is well outside the top 256 draftable prospects - ranking like 348

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo&Dilly View Post
    Per drafttek.com

https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Dr...ollege-QBs.asp

Juan Jennings is well outside the top 256 draftable prospects - ranking like 348
    There are a lot of good WR prospects in this draft.

I don't agree with their assessment. I think he's not a big name because he played on a mediocre Tennessee team.

He's also a bit older than other prospects having been redshirted his true junior year due to injury. So, that will definitely push him down some draft boards. I don't think he is undraftable at all though. I think he'd be a really good mid-round target.

59 receptions at 16.4 yards per clip for just under 1,000 yards and 8 TD's on a bad Tennessee offense against SEC defenses is nothing to be down on, IMO.

Blog Entries

yup he's projecting around 4th round or so but may shoot up the evaluations. Hopefully not

https://walterfootball.com/draft2020WR.php

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

He also led the nation with 29 broken tackles on 57 receptions.

https://atozsportsnashville.com/jaua...ennessee-vols/

Told y’all he’s a dog...

Jennings is the "type" of receiver I think Harbaugh is referring to in his presser when he says they know what they want.

Boldin, SSSr etc.

What worries me is if you're making a bunch of contested catches against college DBs chances are you're likely gonna struggle with separation in the NFL. Take Calvin Ridley for example who I liked a lot coming out if you check his college tape the man was always in his own area code.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    What worries me is if you're making a bunch of contested catches against college DBs chances are you're likely gonna struggle with separation in the NFL. Take Calvin Ridley for example who I liked a lot coming out if you check his college tape the man was always in his own area code.
    You missed my point.

Yes, getting open is desirable. However, how often are WR's truly open? QB's have to try and throw guys open and a lot of times they have to put the ball in a spot where the WR can make a play on the ball while being tightly covered or potentially getting hit. You need WR's that aren't afraid of contact and can come down with the ball through contact.

Also, for what the Ravens want to do and enhancing Lamar's best skills (ie, throwing over the middle), you want a WR that can handle those duties. I see Jennings as a bigger, more athletic Willie Snead.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    You missed my point.

Yes, getting open is desirable. However, how often are WR's truly open? QB's have to try and throw guys open and a lot of times they have to put the ball in a spot where the WR can make a play on the ball while being tightly covered or potentially getting hit. You need WR's that aren't afraid of contact and can come down with the ball through contact.

Also, for what the Ravens want to do and enhancing Lamar's best skills (ie, throwing over the middle), you want a WR that can handle those duties. I see Jennings as a bigger, more athletic Willie Snead.
    He hasn't really flashed much at the Senior Bowl though and Culex is right, coverage in the NFL is on another level. He'll probably remain a 4/5th round guy unless he kills the combine (unlikely) We can do better than him IMO.

Mims (Baylor), Johnson (Texas) Jefferson (Florida) and KJ Hill (OU?) have been the standout WRs according to most reports I've seen. And they'll all be there in the 2nd and probably 3rd round.