Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 2020 NFL Draft - ILB Thread

he flies around that's for sure. for what it's worth - Walterfootball rankings of ILB https://walterfootball.com/draft2020ILB.php

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Troy Dye is one of my favourite prospects, but I do see him as a WILL being used very similar to Peanut. One HELL of a blitzer.

I dont mind getting a WILL in this draft because Fort is competent enough to play MIKE in the base/nickel in a niche role. A skillset like Dye in coverage, blitzing and chasing RB's makes Fort freed up to take on blockers and go down hill.

But I agree I wouldnt' draft a WILL in R1.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Troy Dye is one of my favourite prospects, but I do see him as a WILL being used very similar to Peanut. One HELL of a blitzer.

I dont mind getting a WILL in this draft because Fort is competent enough to play MIKE in the base/nickel in a niche role. A skillset like Dye in coverage, blitzing and chasing RB's makes Fort freed up to take on blockers and go down hill.

But I agree I wouldnt' draft a WILL in R1.
    Dye just seems so meh to me. I don't know. Seems nothing special. But if you like him as a blitzer I trust you, and we sure do blitz a lot.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Dye just seems so meh to me. I don't know. Seems nothing special. But if you like him as a blitzer I trust you, and we sure do blitz a lot.
    His blitzing is really strong and I like his instincts in coverage.

I have to do a deep dive to determine where I'd rank him though in terms of round.

Taking a new approach instead of doing rankings 1-10, I'm trying to do tiers because finnacking with the 1-10 ranking is just so hard to do. A lot of guys that are similar, but different skillsets and I never know how to do it.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

I’m more familiar with the terms Buck and Mack for 34 ILB.

This post is seeking information to get me on the same terminology as you guys.

The way I’ve understood the 34 the Buck is the “take on guy” and the Mack well he’s the Mack. He’s protected by scheme and free to chase. For example London Fletcher was the Mack when he played with Washington.

Do consider the Mike as the Buck?

Blog Entries

Murray has very good size for someone with that kind of speed. That's going to be attractive to teams. I do agree with those that see Murray as more of a run and hit Will than a Mike. Lavonte David of the Bucs is the pro comp that I see

Chris Orr 🍺

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I see it too...I wonder if it's a matter of him just being a chase/dip around blocks guy or if he can be taught technique to take blockers on.

Where is Patrick Queen looking like he's going to be drafted at? I want to look at some of his film, Daniel Jeremiah loves him.

It's not really a good draft for ILB's to be honest.
    Fair question and I don't know the answer - maybe 2nd round? He's got a lot to like, needs experience

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Pretty crazy to see how much Oklahoma lined Murray up as an edge rusher:

I really like his patience here to attack the gap. He struggles to come off blockers, but he does a pretty good job of keeping himself clean and letting the runner expose himself before making contact:

Weird play here. I'm not sure what he say that took him outside of the tackle. But both OL just kind of sealed the lane. Looks like split zone with the playside TE going back across the formation. Murray kind of takes himself out of the play.

Another play I wasn't thriled with. RB breaks it outside (looks like another split zone). I'd like to see Murray fighting to the playside shoulder of his blocker that comes to L2. He gets sealed and he doesn't even really fight it. Similar to the play above it's almost like he takes himself out of hte play.

But then he does this and all is forgiven lol. Similar to the second play above he lets the play develop before attacking the LoS and keeps himself clean. Lays the boom.

I've been trying to find clips of him specifically coming off blocks. This is against a WR (or TE? I dont know TT very well), but I do like how he knocks the hands down to come off. Not the best example because it's not an OL, but just looking at good technique:

Another stop on short yardage, but again using his speed to attack a hole uncovered.

- Ray Lewis

10. Re: 2020 NFL Draft - ILB Thread

For Buck/Mike I like Malik Harrison Ohio State and Evan Weaver although I think Weaver my struggle in coverage. I like Bachie too, but he got busted for banned substances

Blog Entries

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GreatWhiteNorthRaven again.
    Good stuff. Will respond when I get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of OZ View Post
    For Buck/Mike I like Malik Harrison Ohio State and Evan Weaver although I think Weaver my struggle in coverage. I like Bachie too, but he got busted for banned substances
    I like Harrison too, not sure why he's not getting talked about much. If you aren't the typical freak athlete at OSU, you tend to get lost in the eval I guess.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.