Page 1 of 21 123 ... LastLast

2020 NFL Draft - ILB Thread

Figured it'd be good to have a thread on most positions of need.

I watched some Kenneth Murray last night. He's one of the most popular projected picks at 28 for us.

Some of the things I liked:
    - He has true sideline-to-sideline speed. I'm more interested to see his 20 yard shuttle than his 40 time. I expect it to be insanely fast and during his 40, I expect his 10 yard split to be fast too.
    - The instincts are there. He gets outside of blockers and angles back towards the ball. He has the speed and instincts to do it and he avoids getting touched.
    - Oklahoma moved him all over. He even had some rushes off the edge, which is good to see. Very versatile cat that fits the approach Wink takes of disgusing assignments.
    - Great tackler.

Some of the things I didn't like:
    - I dont think I saw him come off one block. Fullbacking the defense is a terrifying thought and I question his ability to be a MIKE. This is the biggest concern and it really drops his value in my mind. He gets good leverage and he uses his hands well, but he doesnt' seem to have the strength to come off the blocks once he earns leverage. In particular, you could see it when the offense was running a pin and pull because that playside OG is looking back inside and Murray is typically his may with the OT seeing an OLB to his side or a DB.
    - I didn't see him play much man. They had him in zone and he did well, but I just didnt' see the man coverage reps to do an assessment of it.

Overall:
    - He's a popular pick to us and I see the excitment because of how athletic he is, but seeing him get washed on outside plays sounds like something we don't need here. I think he'd be a WILL here.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Re: 2020 NFL Draft - ILB Thread

I'm not surprised he has issues coming off of blocks. BIG12 offenses are so spread out and pass-happy that most defenses probably don't see a lot of lead blockers.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Figured it'd be good to have a thread on most positions of need.

I watched some Kenneth Murray last night. He's one of the most popular projected picks at 28 for us.

Some of the things I liked:
    - He has true sideline-to-sideline speed. I'm more interested to see his 20 yard shuttle than his 40 time. I expect it to be insanely fast and during his 40, I expect his 10 yard split to be fast too.
    - The instincts are there. He gets outside of blockers and angles back towards the ball. He has the speed and instincts to do it and he avoids getting touched.
    - Oklahoma moved him all over. He even had some rushes off the edge, which is good to see. Very versatile cat that fits the approach Wink takes of disgusing assignments.
    - Great tackler.

Some of the things I didn't like:
    - I dont think I saw him come off one block. Fullbacking the defense is a terrifying thought and I question his ability to be a MIKE. This is the biggest concern and it really drops his value in my mind. He gets good leverage and he uses his hands well, but he doesnt' seem to have the strength to come off the blocks once he earns leverage. In particular, you could see it when the offense was running a pin and pull because that playside OG is looking back inside and Murray is typically his may with the OT seeing an OLB to his side or a DB.
    - I didn't see him play much man. They had him in zone and he did well, but I just didnt' see the man coverage reps to do an assessment of it.

Overall:
    - He's a popular pick to us and I see the excitment because of how athletic he is, but seeing him get washed on outside plays sounds like something we don't need here. I think he'd be a WILL here.
    I don't want the Ravens to draft Murray if he is going to be a WILL LB. They need a MIKE ILB, so if Murray is projected as a WILL, then I think they should look to fill that spot later in the draft. I see Murray listed at 234 lbs on some draft sites and 243 on others. I would question his ability to be an effective defender against the run if he really is 234 lbs. He would just be a better version of Peanut, which is fine but not worth a first round pick given the Ravens other needs.
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I don't want the Ravens to draft Murray if he is going to be a WILL LB. They need a MIKE ILB, so if Murray is projected as a WILL, then I think they should look to fill that spot later in the draft. I see Murray listed at 234 lbs on some draft sites and 243 on others. I would question his ability to be an effective defender against the run if he really is 234 lbs. He would just be a better version of Peanut, which is fine but not worth a first round pick given the Ravens other needs.
    I sort of think we need both MIKEs and WILLs, as it stands. Levine and Onwuasor are both free agents, and Board took a big step back. Fort played a lot of MIKE for us for sure. But we need both a MIKE and a WILL, maybe a couple WILLs because I like rotating at the WILL position.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

That's very good, thanks.

As a first round pick I find him a bit underwhelming compared to other options at Edge, IDL or even WR. But I believe the problem is, we so desperately need an ILB that we are fixating on him because there is very little in FA and Draft wise in terms of options; Simmons will be long gone and there doesn't seem to be much else past Murray in the first three rounds. More options at and/or Draft for those other positions.

Blog Entries

I've watched a handful of OU games but never really focused on Murray specifically.

IF Murray needs to be a protected ILB that's fine with me. IF Murray can cover and chase sideline to sideline I think that is more important and easier to find then a thumper ILB 'take on' guy.

I do look forward to watching cut-ups of Murray though.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    I've watched a handful of OU games but never really focused on Murray specifically.

IF Murray needs to be a protected ILB that's fine with me. IF Murray can cover and chase sideline to sideline I think that is more important and easier to find then a thumper ILB 'take on' guy.

I do look forward to watching cut-ups of Murray though.
    Ill grab some clips to show what I mena.

I plan on watching ILBs this weekend ot do some comparisons.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Edger Allen posted a video on YouTube on Kenneth Murray today, plans to make multiple more, perhaps a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see it too...I wonder if it's a matter of him just being a chase/dip around blocks guy or if he can be taught technique to take blockers on.

Where is Patrick Queen looking like he's going to be drafted at? I want to look at some of his film, Daniel Jeremiah loves him.

It's not really a good draft for ILB's to be honest.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I see it too...I wonder if it's a matter of him just being a chase/dip around blocks guy or if he can be taught technique to take blockers on.

Where is Patrick Queen looking like he's going to be drafted at? I want to look at some of his film, Daniel Jeremiah loves him.

It's not really a good draft for ILB's to be honest.
    Guys are flying up analysts opinions it seems.

There's very few "every down MIKE" guys. It's concerning.
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I don't put a ton of stock in weight...almost all of the really good young ILB's are in the 230-240 range...Bush and White from last year...Fred Warner, Darius Leonard, Rashaan Evans, Roquan Smith...guys can be in that weight range if they "play" bigger than that size.

Not 100% sure Murray is that guy, but I'll keep watching the film.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't put a ton of stock in weight...almost all of the really good young ILB's are in the 230-240 range...Bush and White from last year...Fred Warner, Darius Leonard, Rashaan Evans, Roquan Smith...guys can be in that weight range if they "play" bigger than that size.

Not 100% sure Murray is that guy, but I'll keep watching the film.
    The most important thing to be a MIKE is to be able to come off blocks. You have to or else it's not for you.
    - Ray Lewis