Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The Next Step of the Offense

The thing I find interesting about this year's Superbowl is how different the teams are on offense. It just shows that there is no one way to do it.
    SF runs the ball until the defense stops it. Their QB threw 8 passes in the NFCC.
    KC throws the ball until the defense can stop it (albeit they start slowly). 35 attempts in the AFCC and would've been more if they weren't winning by such a margin.

It's a copycat league but it shows now all copying can work the same

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    The thing I find interesting about this year's Superbowl is how different the teams are on offense. It just shows that there is no one way to do it.
    SF runs the ball until the defense stops it. Their QB threw 8 passes in the NFCC.
    KC throws the ball until the defense can stop it (albeit they start slowly). 35 attempts in the AFCC and would've been more if they weren't winning by such a margin.

It's a copycat league but it shows now all copying can work the same
    You are absolutely right. There is no one way to do it. However, when you look at both QBs, you can see why both teams do it the way that they do. When I look at Lamar, I think that his potential is much closer to being a guy like Mahomes than a guy like Garapolo.

If Garapolo were say, Mike Shanahan's Jay Cutler, they'd be throwing more than 8 passes.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Incremental improvement at WR is enough to make a difference.

If Lamar can improve some heading into his 3rd season, we can utilize Hurst better, and we add a solid #2 whether in the draft or FA then the passing game would be plenty good enough to stand on its own.

Scheme is another question. I can't offer an in depth analysis on that, but I'm not resigned that we can't produce a good passing scheme. We added someone to our staff last offseason specifically to help Roman with that side of things. I think we probably already have the coaches on staff to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    You are absolutely right. There is no one way to do it. However, when you look at both QBs, you can see why both teams do it the way that they do. When I look at Lamar, I think that his potential is much closer to being a guy like Mahomes than a guy like Garapolo.

If Garapolo were say, Mike Shanahan's Jay Cutler, they'd be throwing more than 8 passes.
    More like Andy Reid doesn't call run plays and Shanahan has Mostert and Breda.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    More like Andy Reid doesn't call run plays and Shanahan has Mostert and Breda.
    and Kittle and Juice

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

The next step of this offense, obviously, is to get WRs more involved in catching passes. Use the run game to draw DBs in, get them to misread the play, and blow right by them (double moves, better selling of play action, and learning how to get open against NFL DBs). As much as we ran this year, play action (both traditional, and Lamar's personal flavor of it) should be lethal to any team that brings defenders up to the line. That requires the continued development of Brown and Boykin (he showed some flashes - I'm not one to call a player a bust after 1 season). I really don't think we need a veteran receiver to come in - we have Snead for that role. Unless you could clone Derrick Mason, I'm not sure it's worth it.

We also need to secure Yanda's replacement. Regardless of his playing status for 2020, he's almost guaranteed not to be playing in 2021. I doubt he retires after that last game - he had a fully healthy 2019, and helped set the all time team rushing record. He's just got one thing left (another ring). Besides, 2020 has already got Ngata (and probably Suggs) going into the Ring of Honor - he's got to wait until 2021 to go in no matter what he does. Might as well play another year and take another shot at the Lombardi.

Some of yall are drinking the purple koolaid a little too hard when saying the pieces we have in the passing game compare to the old Pats teams lol. I love Hollywood, Andrews, Hurst, & Jackson as much as the next guy, but come on! We're comparing Lamar to the literal GOAT in his prime. We're comparing Andrews to the GOAT in his prime. We're comparing Hurst, who's accomplished nothing, to a guy that was a top 5 TE. Lastly, we're comparing Hollywood, who had a pretty good rookie year, to a perennial 100+ catch weapon in NE. That's all without even getting into the scheme! Let's settle down with using that team as proof that we don't need to add more talent in the passing game, because they were able to run up huge numbers with 2 good TEs & 1 good WR.

We need another weapon. Luckily, this draft is STACKED at WR! There are about 5-7 1st round talents to pick from...

Quote Originally Posted by tnsmith90 View Post
    Some of yall are drinking the purple koolaid a little too hard when saying the pieces we have in the passing game compare to the old Pats teams lol. I love Hollywood, Andrews, Hurst, & Jackson as much as the next guy, but come on! We're comparing Lamar to the literal GOAT in his prime. We're comparing Andrews to the GOAT in his prime. We're comparing Hurst, who's accomplished nothing, to a guy that was a top 5 TE. Lastly, we're comparing Hollywood, who had a pretty good rookie year, to a perennial 100+ catch weapon in NE. That's all without even getting into the scheme! Let's settle down with using that team as proof that we don't need to add more talent in the passing game, because they were able to run up huge numbers with 2 good TEs & 1 good WR.

We need another weapon. Luckily, this draft is STACKED at WR! There are about 5-7 1st round talents to pick from...
    And we're picking 28th, so many of them may be gone by the time they get to us.

If a stud WR is available at 28, and is graded higher than any remaining OLB/DE, then by all means, take him. Otherwise, fix the front 7 before adding weapons to the offense. Stopping our opponents is a bigger problem than scoring points right now.

Of the top 20 highest scoring teams (by points scored per game) in the Super Bowl era, only one has gone on to win the Super Bowl (1999 Rams). Of the top 20 lowest points allowed teams (by points per game allowed) teams, 6 have won the Super Bowl. The 2013 Broncos (600+ points scored) lost 43-8 in the Super Bowl. The 2007 Patriots (589 points) lost to Eli Manning 17-14. Half of the top 20 scoring teams didn't even make the Super Bowl. Half of the top 20 defensive teams didn't make it either (though at least 3 of them lost to other teams in the top 30, and they DID win the Super Bowl - '69 Chiefs, '73 Dolphins, '00 Ravens)

Quote Originally Posted by cvilleRaven View Post
    And we're picking 28th, so many of them may be gone by the time they get to us.

If a stud WR is available at 28, and is graded higher than any remaining OLB/DE, then by all means, take him. Otherwise, fix the front 7 before adding weapons to the offense. Stopping our opponents is a bigger problem than scoring points right now.

Of the top 20 highest scoring teams (by points scored per game) in the Super Bowl era, only one has gone on to win the Super Bowl (1999 Rams). Of the top 20 lowest points allowed teams (by points per game allowed) teams, 6 have won the Super Bowl. The 2013 Broncos (600+ points scored) lost 43-8 in the Super Bowl. The 2007 Patriots (589 points) lost to Eli Manning 17-14. Half of the top 20 scoring teams didn't even make the Super Bowl. Half of the top 20 defensive teams didn't make it either (though at least 3 of them lost to other teams in the top 30, and they DID win the Super Bowl - '69 Chiefs, '73 Dolphins, '00 Ravens)
    All those teams had better receivers than this current group barring a huge improvement from them next season. Also this defense found a way to play without pass rush from edge rushers. Would rather focus on drafting inside rushers or hybrid inside/edge rushers.

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    All those teams had better receivers than this current group barring a huge improvement from them next season. Also this defense found a way to play without pass rush from edge rushers. Would rather focus on drafting inside rushers or hybrid inside/edge rushers.
    Are you saying that Qadry Ismail, Jermaine Lewis, and Brandon Stokley are a better receiver corps than Brown/Snead/Boykin? Because I don't see how that is physically possible.

Or are you saying that the 2013 Broncos and 2007 Patriots had better receiver corps? Because no kidding, that's the king of all obvious statements. But, even with that, what did it get them?

The belief that one or two "STUD" defensive lineman/linebackers out of this draft is going to "FIX" the Raven's defense is pure fantasy. The thing that's going to "FIX" the defense is to help Lamar put up more points EVERY GAME.

I don't think any of you guys had problems with the defensive play in the games that the Ravens were up by three or four touchdowns. The problem with the defense surfaced in those games where the Ravens had problems putting up points.

Get Lamar a true #1 wide receiver to play with Hollywood - on the field at the same time. Throw more to Hurst - in addition to Andrews. Pour it on and keep pouring it on - and the defense will take care of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by cvilleRaven View Post
    Are you saying that Qadry Ismail, Jermaine Lewis, and Brandon Stokley are a better receiver corps than Brown/Snead/Boykin? Because I don't see how that is physically possible.

Or are you saying that the 2013 Broncos and 2007 Patriots had better receiver corps? Because no kidding, that's the king of all obvious statements. But, even with that, what did it get them?
    Definitely to all those receivers better than this current group. Maybe not Travis Taylor lol. It's also not fair to compare the Brown and Boykin to the vets who also made their plays in their Super Bowls. Snead would be the only comparable player to those vets and he's only better than Lewis.