Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: The Next Step of the Offense

Drops, turnovers, spec teams penalties, and 4th-&-1s.

I wouldn't mind seeing us pass quite a bit more. Maybe run a full passing offense against some of the lesser teams we face (switching back to our run attack if we need to). It'll be like Rocky learning how to fight right handed in Rocky II when he won the title. We can learn to switch back and forth as needed, and perfect our offense

Good lord imagine the nightmares we could give defenses if we could switch between the greatest run attack in history and a Drew Brees/Mahomes passing machine at will and with no drop off.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson8 View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing us pass quite a bit more. Maybe run a full passing offense against some of the lesser teams we face (switching back to our run attack if we need to). It'll be like Rocky learning how to fight right handed in Rocky II when he won the title. We can learn to switch back and forth as needed, and perfect our offense
    Good lord imagine the nightmares we could give defenses if we could switch between the greatest run attack in history and a Drew Brees/Mahomes passing machine at will and with no drop off.
    Dude. Did you not watch the Rams game? Remember our TD drive after the 2-min warning in the first half?

Remember the 2-min drill(s) against the Browns in game 2?

We mostly had that this year, what you're describing. IOnly drops, turnovers, spec teams penalties, and 4th-&-1s stopped us in the plaoffs. Imagine Lamar in year 2 as a full time starter, another offseason in this new offense, a year of growth for the young WRs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Personally, I think that Lamar has potential as a passer that would notch him one step below Mahomes, but I don’t think this current scheme and approach will get him there. Nor this coaching staff, but that’s another story I guess.
    That is the story. Roman couldn't get there scheme-wise even if Harbaugh wanted him to, and he doesn't want him to.

I'd love to see Lamar in an offense that can go into high gear at the drop of a hat, like KC. Love to see an offense capable of overcoming turnovers,drops, bad defense, missed 4th downs etc. and score quickly if they need to. Its just not very likely to happen in Baltimore.

Blog Entries

Next step:
    Do what we do......but better.
    Improve talent level of the WRs corps.

I don't care how we get there but just win. The passing offense will improve when we raise the talent level of our WRs. Lamar knows what he has to work on in the offseason. He'll get better.
    Our passing offense was incredibly efficient though. A lot of that had to do with our phenomenal run game. I'm confident that we'll be able to win games with Lamar's arm when the need arises. That will only make for a more lethal yet balanced offense.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Blog Entries

Another 1 star thread, incredible work, love to see it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    The QB threw more touchdowns than anyone and we’re still talking about needing a receiver. When the Pats had Gronk and Hernandez and were killing teams with it in the 2011 and 2012 seasons, Wes Welker in his early 30’s was really their biggest technically receiver weapon. To me it looks the Ravens can make something work with Hurst/Andrews/Hollywood, then you have your smaller role Snead types and too soon to give up on Boykin.

The more I think about it the more I don’t know if bringing in another receiver is what moves the needle. I’d go extremely heavy on addressing the defense instead of going after AJ Green or whoever else who won’t be the solution. Obviously I’m speaking of anyone less than a bonafide proven superstar receiver. Now, not three years ago. Roman has players to work with they don’t need to chase a receiver to bring in when he could start by really getting Hurst involved as a pass catcher. None of them are the caliber of Gronk obviously, but Hurst/Andrews could easily combine for 50+ catches each like Gronk/Hernandez. Welker went off, had well over 100 catches. Have some vision and incorporate Hollywood into the offense as a major contributor.

They’re going to have to switch it up. If they try and go into next season with the same idea as this season it’s hard to think they’ll be as successful. They’ll have evolve in the passing game, they don’t have a choice. Any move at receiver would have to be mind blowingly big, and if not there is really no point.
    I think that this is a very good post. Hurst is just as athletic as Andrews, has better hands than Andrews and is, at the very least, just as good a route runner as Andrews. Yes, the Chiefs have Kelce, but who else do they have at TE? We really do have the best TE duo in the league. Let's figure out some new ways to use them to our advantage. We may not have a Welker, but with a vertical threat in Brown, Snead is at least serviceable. An extra guy on the outside would be great, but the scheme itself should be able to do more with the guys available, without having to rely so heavily on the run opening up space.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Drops, turnovers, spec teams penalties, and 4th-&-1s.
    There were definitely a lot of mistakes. However, do we feel that it's a coincidence that it happened at the worst possible time or do we think some intangibles played a role in it? I mean, I don't know, I'm just posing the question. You could look at what happened to the Chiefs and make the exact same post. However, they overcame those very same issues with ease. We're not in a position to do that right now. Our margin for error in the passing offense is much smaller.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Yeah. I mean, once the thing is built, they can do whatever they want. It has to be built first and that's where I think emphasis will be required. Plenty of teams build that passing offense and then, when necessary, will turn to running the ball more. But they know they have the pass to confidently turn to, because they've built is strongly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yogidriver View Post
    That is the story. Roman couldn't get there scheme-wise even if Harbaugh wanted him to, and he doesn't want him to.
    That's the big fear. Did Harbaugh go all in on this offense, because he knew it would be so run-oriented or did he truly learn his lesson? In other words, if they drafted a QB who was more of a pocket passer, would we still see the system and scheme built around the QB, the way it is with Lamar?