Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Opinion of tonight’s radio broadcast

I know the overwhelming majority of posters here watch the games live on TV.
    I like to listen to radio broadcasts and then watch the condensed replay the next day.

Anyway, I know Sandusky is never going to be in the Play-By-Play Hall of Fame but generally he is “serviceable.” I don’t know if I have heard him make so many mistakes and play Captain Obvious to the extent he did tonight. Did anyone else notice this?

Re: Opinion of tonight’s radio broadcast

listened to postgame. The young lady they have moderating the post game show is not very good.

Blog Entries

Didn’t listen to the radio. But since we’re talking announcers, Al Michaels is either ready for retirement or teamed with the wrong color commentator. Not a fan of the Thursday crew.

No chemistry with Michaels and Herbstreet. I know a lot of folks don't like Collinsworth but I thought he and Michaels were a pretty good team. I think Sandusky has gotten much better over the years. It was a pleasure listening to Billick doing color with Jerry last week as a fill-in. Rod Woodson is not good. Give me Chuck and Vince. Wait, what year is this? And the young lady doing post-game, not sure why management put her in that position.

Blog Entries

Al Michaels is the one who picked and recruited Herbstreet. They wanted an ex-athlete with some more pizazz but Al wanted someone who could handle more play by play. I think that's the issue. Herbstreit has always done the color for the college games but he comes off as a very professional broadcaster. Maybe it's because he never made the NFL and he focused on broadcasting early?

I think the other issue is that Al is having a tough time with the quality of the games. He's used to calling Monday and Sunday night games. These were the premier national games of the week and players brought their A games. Now it's Thursday where everyone is playing on short rest. No one likes Thursday games and it often leads to poor games. After a bunch in a row Al is probably wondering if he made the right decision. Honestly getting someone older and without tons of energy was probably not the best idea. Al spends way too much time reminiscing about the good old days of Madden and Collinsworth

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

I can't listen to it because SiriusXM is a full minute behind the streams and longer behind the live game which itself is at least 10 seconds behind the live game.

You can't listen to the local over the internet.

So I just go with the live broadcast

Quote Originally Posted by beavery View Post
    listened to postgame. The young lady they have moderating the post game show is not very good.
    She’s beyond bad. A real embarrassment to the production.

Last night she sounded like she may have been medicated. Speaking way too fast.

She’s made the pre-game, halftime and post-game nearly unlistenable

Probably a nice person in the wrong job. There’s a lot of that going around.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys Kravitz View Post
    No chemistry with Michaels and Herbstreet. I know a lot of folks don't like Collinsworth but I thought he and Michaels were a pretty good team. I think Sandusky has gotten much better over the years. It was a pleasure listening to Billick doing color with Jerry last week as a fill-in. Rod Woodson is not good. Give me Chuck and Vince. Wait, what year is this? And the young lady doing post-game, not sure why management put her in that position.
    Vince was a pretty good color guy but Chuck was THE BEST play-by-play football guy ever. You could almost "watch" the games he called.

I can deal with the cornball Sandusky and his cliche lines. What really irritates me is that he and whomever he’s partnered with don’t reset the down distance and time enough. It used to be a staple of radio broadcast, painting the picture so to speak for the people just tuning in. However, far too often they are going on and on about some irrelevant detail that’s not even directly related to the game. miss the days of Scott & Tom doing the Ravens radio broadcast!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Vince was a pretty good color guy but Chuck was THE BEST play-by-play football guy ever. You could almost "watch" the games he called.
    Those two had chemistry to spare. When a guy got tackled Chuck would say he knocked him off his pins.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys Kravitz View Post
    Those two had chemistry to spare. When a guy got tackled Chuck would say he knocked him off his pins.
    He would also tell you where the ball was spotted immediately, then give down and distance, then tell you who was involved and how. You knew where the ball was at all times with Chuck.