Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: Dean Pees retires - again

It's very, very hard for an even partway-objective observer not to burst out laughing at all the anger in this thread.

What truly Peeses yinz off is that his particular "bend-don't-break" style of defense turned out to be the precise Kryptonite for an opponent down two scores in a must-win game with a young, gifted but excitable QB who felt he had to put the whole team on his back with both his favorite playmakers banged up & an OC channeling his inner Mornhinweg who kept flipping through his playbook for that 14-point play that would put them back in the game. Particularly when combined with a RB trucking the opposing D and a QB who hit just enough big passes. Probably wouldn't work against Lamar with another "offseasoning" - but it didn't have to.

(And just FTR, Pees' 2019 Flaming Thumbtacks D would rather nicely complement the 2001 Ravens offense [minus Kelly Gregg's inadvertent killshot on Jamal Lewis's knee]. Because Tannehill + Henry = Grbac + JaLew. In some twisted alternate timeline, that combination might well have snagged Baltimore a couple more Lombardis, with the town toasting Pees as a defensive genius & Elvis Grbac as the best QB in Ravens history at their simultaneous retirements, with the entire Bank cheering lustily as both their names went up on the Ring Of Honor the very next year. Now that is a scary thought, innit? )
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Ravens Defensive Coordinators from best to worst:

1. Rex Ryan
    2. Marvin Lewis
    3. Wink Martindale
    4. Chuck Pagano
    5. Greg Mattison
    6. Mike Nolan
    7. Dean "Bend But Don't Break" Pees
    I’d take Pees over Greg Mattison, and I think I’d probably take Pagano over Wink. Lewis was good but he had studs at literally every position and while he was DC for the most dominant defense in history, he was also DC for some pretty terrible ones as well before the organization was able to stockpile talent on defense.
    My list would be
    1. Rex
    2. Marvin
    3. Pagano
    4. Wink
    5. Nolan
    6. Pees
    7. Mattison

I put Mattison last because his defense was just not...Raven football. There was an identity shift when Rex Ryan took over as DC. It was about attacking, being aggressive, playing multiple fronts, a ton of pre-snap motion and shifts, disguising coverages ect..
    Mattison was just vanilla.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepercreepermd View Post
    I’d take Pees over Greg Mattison, and I think I’d probably take Pagano over Wink. Lewis was good but he had studs at literally every position and while he was DC for the most dominant defense in history, he was also DC for some pretty terrible ones as well before the organization was able to stockpile talent on defense.
    My list would be
    1. Rex
    2. Marvin
    3. Pagano
    4. Wink
    5. Nolan
    6. Pees
    7. Mattison

I put Mattison last because his defense was just not...Raven football. There was an identity shift when Rex Ryan took over as DC. It was about attacking, being aggressive, playing multiple fronts, a ton of pre-snap motion and shifts, disguising coverages ect..
    Mattison was just vanilla.
    My list would probably be the same as yours.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Every time I see the title I think Drew Brees is retiring

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Ravens Defensive Coordinators from best to worst:

1. Rex Ryan
    2. Marvin Lewis
    3. Wink Martindale
    4. Chuck Pagano
    5. Greg Mattison
    6. Mike Nolan
    7. Dean "Bend But Don't Break" Pees