Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Our run D is overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Harley-Ravenson View Post
    100% agree.

TN may be a solid team in the future- but not an elite team. Ravens vs Chiefs for the next 7- 10 year window.

Each year there will be a team that rises and surprises- but the perennial powers should be KC v Baltimore!
    I would put Houston up there if they ever surround Watson with enough talent. And the Bills aren’t too far off if they get better offense. And Cincy is about to get Burrow so we’ll see what happens there

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick Hiker View Post
    The Chiefs defense limited Henry, who averaged 188.5 yards the previous two weeks against the Patriots and Ravens, to 69 yards for the day on 19 carries. Now the Patriot have an excellent run defense so it appears Henry had a couple of games where he played above his head. The Titans were 9-7 so it wasn't like he was an unstoppable force who carried the team to an excellent record during the regular season.
    They limited Henry because they built a lead in the 2’d half and made them pass to try to catch up, which is what we should have done. Not so much because they were able to stop the run

Henry was killing me til the chefs took the lead

Blog Entries

Outside of Williams, everyone on the line is pretty mediocre IMO. Wormley is about as ordinary as it comes. Pierce was effective when we had Za around but has since provided no pass rush in the middle of the OL. Reason 49ers are so good is that you can't double anyone - everyone on the line can win their 1v1. We have no one that consistently win 1v1.

Agreed with EdRomeo on run defense. Williams and Pierce were stout. The cutbacks and the edges killed us all year. Whether it's setting the edge or the inside backers overrunning those 2 spots are where we continue to lose in the run game.
    "When you go into the lions den, you don't tippy-toe in. You carry a spear. You go in screaming like a banshee and say, 'Where's the son of a bitch?""
    - Brian Billick - postgame after beating Titans in Divisional playoff 2001

Twitter handle: @radams8483

Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    The whole front 7 needs help.
    This. We probably have the least talented front 7 that the Ravens have fielded at any time this century.

I'm not even mad about it. I think they've made great decisions in "resource allocation", last couple seasons. Made the most of what they had. But now it's time to change focus and invest in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson8 View Post
    They limited Henry because they built a lead in the 2’d half and made them pass to try to catch up, which is what we should have done. Not so much because they were able to stop the run
    Henry was averaging less than 4 yards per carry even when they did give him the ball (19 times). I think Andy Reid knew he was the Titans best weapon and game planned to stop him. I don't really understand why the Ravens couldn't stop him but then again neither could New England.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick Hiker View Post
    Henry was averaging less than 4 yards per carry even when they did give him the ball (19 times). I think Andy Reid knew he was the Titans best weapon and game planned to stop him. I don't really understand why the Ravens couldn't stop him but then again neither could New England.
    Or a bunch of other teams. Henry had been going gang busters on teams for two months, but yeah they had two weeks to get ready for the possibility and should have been able to do a lot better job than they did.

The most glaring weakness is the edge setter defenders. Otherwise they've shown that they can be organized up front. They want versatile DBs who can support in run defense so they can run nickel and dime looks. I might be only one who wants this defense to explore that direction rather than hoping a magical perfect modern inside backer would get signed or drafted here.

They lost 3 games. All things considered not bad for a D that according to most on this board needs so much work. Most of Henry's runs were not around the edge. The best DL need LB support. Even Goose and Adam's needed LB support. They cut loose CJ, Smith and Suggs. Yea they had some wholes. Peter's isn't fixing all of that. Focus on getting a quality LB or 2 and see what happens. Not the right thread but our offense scored how much? The lay off caused everyone to under perform. Next year its who they let go just like this year
    This year I thought they did well.... considering.

Sent from my SM-J337P using Tapatalk

10. Re: Our run D is overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    If teams can just ram it down the Ravens throats with the freak running backs of the league, what’s even the point of going all in on an offense that won’t see the field that much if the defense can’t get off the field?
    The Ravens were 14-2 this year, 6-1 w/ Lamar the year before.

They made the same mistakes in the playoffs both years, not enough running.

The Ravens need to not get worse on defense, and not get worse on offense. They don't need to make any major changes.

The Ravens had issues on defense in the beginning of the season. Then they had a huge winning streak to end the season, after adding quite a few new players, after letting a few good players go in the off season.

Stay the course, keep doing what they're doing, and don't take risks in the playoffs like throwing too much, and going for it on 4th. Win with the legs, not with the gambling, in the playoffs. T

11. Re: Our run D is overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Or a bunch of other teams. Henry had been going gang busters on teams for two months, but yeah they had two weeks to get ready for the possibility and should have been able to do a lot better job than they did.
    The Ravens offense gave the Titans the ball in Ravens territory 3 times, leading to 3 TD. The Titans, otherwise, scored 1 TD and punted 6 times.

It's hard to say exactly what would've happened if the Ravens just did what they were all time greats at, running, and not gambling on risky pass plays and 4th downs from your own territory.

There's really nothing you can do if the coaches lose their minds in the playoffs.

12. Re: Our run D is overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Harley-Ravenson View Post
    100% agree.

TN may be a solid team in the future- but not an elite team. Ravens vs Chiefs for the next 7- 10 year window.

Each year there will be a team that rises and surprises- but the perennial powers should be KC v Baltimore!
    Top QBs get really expensive after their rookie contracts and their teams generally don't do quite as well. The Seahawks haven't been to the Super Bowl in quite a while. And Russell Wilson is the ideal best case comp for Lamar, of any existing player. Continued to play well, as a running QB, with a great passer rating. But, still, the Super Bowls were on Wilson's rookie deal.