Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Our run D is overrated

5th against rushing yards but opposing running backs averaged 4.4 YPC against us and what all 3 of our losses had in common is that we could not stop the run. We got plowed much like what's happening to Green Bay. Our defense is #1 in rush attempts, meaning nobody wanted to run the ball on us primarily because they played from behind but in the close games or the games where we lost, they chose to run the ball without a care in the world.

That falls on who? Well, probably the defensive line is what you really want to look at first.

2020 is BWs potential out. With him being in his 30s now and being pretty much overrated most of his career I think you try and trade him. Michael Pierce is a UFA and he's as good as gone. Can't trust his work ethic.

Solution? We may be in for a defensive tackle in the first round to shore up the defensive line and maybe another later on as well with a defensive end somewhere in there too of course. Jordan Elliott?
    Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds!

Luke 12:24

Re: Our run D is overrated

teams dont run against us when they are down multiple scores

300 × 300

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    5th against rushing yards but opposing running backs averaged 4.4 YPC against us and what all 3 of our losses had in common is that we could not stop the run. We got plowed much like what's happening to Green Bay. Our defense is #1 in rush attempts, meaning nobody wanted to run the ball on us primarily because they played from behind but in the close games or the games where we lost, they chose to run the ball without a care in the world.

That falls on who? Well, probably the defensive line is what you really want to look at first.

2020 is BWs potential out. With him being in his 30s now and being pretty much overrated most of his career I think you try and trade him. Michael Pierce is a UFA and he's as good as gone. Can't trust his work ethic.

Solution? We may be in for a defensive tackle in the first round to shore up the defensive line and maybe another later on as well with a defensive end somewhere in there too of course. Jordan Elliott?
    What good are these 340 pound DTs who provide no pass rush if we can't stop the run when it matters? Makes you think.

4. Re: Our run D is overrated

We could also use a good linebacker who's not an UDFA.
    You guys wanna hear a funny joke?

DEAN PEES............That is all

The whole front 7 needs help. LB's can't hold the edge either.

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    What good are these 340 pound DTs who provide no pass rush if we can't stop the run when it matters? Makes you think.
    They’d be nice to have if we actually had some real linebackers behind the lineman.

I hope EDC watch the niners and build up the Dline.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    teams dont run against us when they are down multiple scores

300 × 300
    Exactly but that won't happen against Superbowl contenders. 4 4 YPC put us at 23rd in the league in opposing YPC.

Run defense starts from the front back. If your dline can’t get push off the line of scrimmage into the backfield it opens up holes for the RB.

Then it’s the linebackers. How well can they set the edge and fill the gaps. We don’t have any great linebacker and our duck tape backer core won’t cut it against good run teams consistently.

Next is your SS. A great SS can be a great weapon in blowing up runs. Especially to the outside.

We don’t have any of those things.

Blog Entries

I don't look at counting stats because they aren't very meaningful.

Naturally the run defense isn't the 5th best. Any watching the games could tell you that.

Football Outsiders rates the run defense as 20th and the seems about right.

Run defense is a unit responsibility its not just the responsibility of 2 DL.

Pierce and Williams are stout up front, the problems with run defense don't involve them.
    So getting rid of them won't solve the problem it will likely make the problem worse.

With that being said I a believer in BPA so for me any position other then QB could be BPA.

Blog Entries

I don't look at counting stats because they aren't very meaningful.

Naturally the run defense isn't the 5th best. Any watching the games could tell you that.

Football Outsiders rates the run defense as 20th and the seems about right.

Run defense is a unit responsibility its not just the responsibility of 2 DL.

Pierce and Williams are stout up front, the problems with run defense don't involve them.
    So getting rid of them won't solve the problem it will likely make the problem worse.

With that being said I a believer in BPA so for me any position other then QB could be BPA.

I mentioned that ypc average in another thread a week or so ago.

Allowing 4.4 ypc is incredibly in Raven like and it shows how mediocre/bad the front 7 was.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.