Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: I feel better now

the Chiefs looked like they were running our offense

go KC. I hope they win it, for Andy Reid as well as Suggs.
    50 years or so since their one win.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    The Ravens were a good team. Not a great team.
    They have a great offense that masked a flawed defense. A defense that was great in coverage, below average against the run and couldn’t really generate sacks/pressure without the blitz.

The historically great offense is really a one man show called Lamar. He makes the run game as whole work. Together with a smart scheme Lamar masks the OL pass protection and makes it easier for the OL to run block. Same with the running lanes for the RBs a lot of their production is a by product of defenses account for Lamar and the scheme.

The WRs corps is average at best and the passing game is led by a trio of TEs.
    This. People forget that approximately 18 months ago we had an OL that people said couldn't run block and wasn't that much better in pass protection. I mean people were talking about Ronnie Stanley as not getting a second contract. Then Lamar comes and they turn I to Pro Bowlers?

Lamar makes things easier. They don't have to block everyone on running plays because Lamar can read that guy out. With pass protection, rushers are being very disciplined because if there's a gap, Lamar can go for 50.

None of this will change next year, assuming good health.

They have a great offense that masked a flawed defense. A defense that was great in coverage, below average against the run and couldn’t really generate sacks/pressure without the blitz.

The historically great offense is really a one man show called Lamar. He makes the run game as whole work. Together with a smart scheme Lamar masks the OL pass protection and makes it easier for the OL to run block. Same with the running lanes for the RBs a lot of their production is a by product of defenses account for Lamar and the scheme.

I agree with this.....

I would add- we are not far off from being truly GREAT- versus masking things with creative duct tape and Lamar Magic!

Look at what the addition of Emanuel Sanders did for SF.

KC has 3 WR's under 4-4 speed.

Overall- KC has more explosion ability on their roster. Give Lamar those weapons and its a different narrative. We don't have the power yet- AJ Green? Manny Sanders I think is a FA too. I would take him in a heart beat.

San Fran has a running system similar to ours- but much more refined and systematic. The talent of their D front 4 is SICK.

Ravens have the most unique playmaker in the NFL.

DeCosta will add the right pieces. I would study Shanahan's scheme also- and steal as many concepts as possible to add to our already dominant rushing attack.

Ravens over achieved this year. They will add a few tools and sharpen what we already have.

I think the 2 best teams in the league are playing in 2 weeks. Ravens are 1 year premature but I think our ceiling is HIGHER than both of these teams- because we have the system similar to San Fran with the explosive playmaker in LJ8. We saw glimpses this year- but have not yet seen the MACHINE that this can become!

Quote Originally Posted by Julius486 View Post
    just not buying this shit. We were not just a "good" 14-2 team, we were a historically dominant one. We've gone over ad naueum the limitations of the team the past week (as we should, now is the time), but it seems like one game has given everyone here amnesia to the fact that we were the BEST RUSHING TEAM IN NFL HISTORY, with the NFL MVP and the NFL's deadliest weapon, with the NFL's most efficient (if not deadly/explosive) passing game, with one of the best secondaries in the NFL, with an elite set of coordinators. Obviously, the best team doesn't always advance to the dance, but let's not lose sight of who the best team was; we had too big of a sample size to forget that. If it bothers you, then take the fact that being the "best" team doesn't matter as much if it's not paired with preparation, execution, and luck. But I'm not having this reactionary narrative that we're some team that's doomed to first round exits or whatever
    I'm with you but despite a historically great season the one thing that most fans will remember is their performance against Tennessee. There's no denying that. Me included.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

The offense covered up the defense weakness. Against a great defense they got exposed. Time to rebuild our defense. We lost three lb last yet in Smith, Suggs and CJ. Tried to get by with young players on hand. It did not work. Mid year quick fix papered over the holes in the wall but did not fix them.

So in the draft or FA we need lb help and maybe a rush answer. Two lb for certain. One high draft pick and a decent FA. We need one to set the edge and one stunt lb to stop the run up the Middle. Then we need a wr to take pressure off Hollywood.

This probably deserves another thread but what exactly is a "great" team then? By the way I agree with most of what you said.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensPPark View Post
    This. People forget that approximately 18 months ago we had an OL that people said couldn't run block and wasn't that much better in pass protection. I mean people were talking about Ronnie Stanley as not getting a second contract. Then Lamar comes and they turn I to Pro Bowlers?

Lamar makes things easier. They don't have to block everyone on running plays because Lamar can read that guy out. With pass protection, rushers are being very disciplined because if there's a gap, Lamar can go for 50.

Good Summary.

This is part II of the rebuild....offense was last two years now it’s the D

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    This probably deserves another thread but what exactly is a "great" team then? By the way I agree with most of what you said.
    Yeah, I agree with this. I know Lamar covered up a lot of things on this team, but....he's a given, ya know? It's not like we go into a game wondering if Lamar is or isn't going to be one of the 3 most athletic people on the field at any given moment. I don't think it's necessarily a shut down argument that the team isn't "great" because Lamar covers for so much; Lamar is just that good, and he has a team which is sorta built to take advantage of his own talents and on strangling a team when we get up. That's not nothing, it's an intentional strategy that led to 14 wins and one of the best DVOA's of all time, even with a team that sat their starting QB for...5, 6 quarters?

I don't feel better now. The Ravens, flawed as they were, were better than Tennessee and it wasn't close. I could have lived with losing to KC in the AFCCG. At least we would have had that game here for the first time EVER, and I do think with our pass D there was a decent chance of winning. We will never know because the Ravens shit the bed completely.

With that said, I don't have a rooting interest in this SB. It's not like NE or PIT being the AFC rep. I guess I just want to see a good game that comes down to the final drive.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by RavensPPark View Post

Stanley was always good, the people who were saying he wasn’t worth a second contract just didn’t know what they were talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Stanley was always good, the people who were saying he wasn’t worth a second contract just didn’t know what they were talking about.
    the stanley toughness questions lol