Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Judon

Re: Matt Judon

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    With our secondary and big leads judon shoulda had 20 sacks
    Agree with this 100%. There is nothing special about our front 7 - particularly when you consider the Ravens secondary and the fact that Lamar kept opposing offenses off the field.

You all need to look at this from a short term perspective. The Ravens window is now (the next 3 or 4 years) with Lamar and the offense. We do not have the time or money necessary to build a front defensive 7 the way the 49ers have - particularly at the expense of the offense. We need to put the majority of our resources (cap $$$ and draft picks) into the offense - giving Lamar the weapons to continue to put points on the board and keep offenses off the field. Don't fall into the trap of Ravens history - and the fact that the Raven's two Superbowls came as a result of their defense.

If we're going to win a Superbowl or two over the next few years its going to be because Lamar remains unstoppable and not because Judon is going to be paid $15 Million a year for 10-12 sacks.

My thoughts. The Ravens actually figured they would retain Suggs in 2019, but when that didn't work out, Judon was the only real pass rushing threat. Fools gold with McPhee and others, but a team needs or needed multiple pass rushers, in order to really judge one's value. Z Smith had Judon and Suggs in 2018, and when he was signed in GB, they also signed another Edge Rusher to compliment him. which allows him to win one on one battles... Whether they tag Judon or not the team can't truly evaluate him. He will be 28 he is in good shape and he is a very good player. The options are slim and expensive with only Ngakoue and Fowler benign young and capable of playing OLB with the ability to rush, set the edge and drop. Chris Jones will demand a lot of $$ , Shaq Lawson of Buffalo and Armstead SF are interesting players, versatile. I feel Dupree is a system guy, and Clowney can't stay on the field...The Judon issue is an easy one if we had talent at that position. But, Bowser is hardly that guy, and Ferguson is stiff. More of a pass rusher and run stopper, not very good in coverage or setting the edge at this early stage of his career. Really irritating when you think of the drafted players who flat out missed recently. I don't think EDC will want to invest in a 30 something player. Dump Jimmy's salary, Yanda retires, bring back Carr cheap and versatile safety depth since he is signed through 2020... I think if the team can, I would cut Jefferson. Draft capital and FA has to be front 7 on Defense. Early and often.
    Last edited by 21xxxv; 01-20-2020 at 10:13 AM.

We have a chance to re-shape the front 7.

The FA class is deep as hell (some will be re-signed, but to give an idea):
    EDGE - Clowney, Yannick, Armstead, Fowler, Barrett, Dupree, Judon, Van Noy, Quinn, Clayborn, JPP, Nassib, Sheard, Ogbah, Lawson

And the draft in the first 3 rounds actually doesn't look too bad. Much better than I initially thought.

I think you have to seriously consider who you want to be your premium guy. I'm not sure it's Matt Judon. Would you rather pay an extra 4M per year and get Yannick, for example? I would.

You have to draft a SAM, but you can get a guy like Darrell Taylor or Michale Divinity in R3 to play with Bowser at SAM and on pass downs you can slide Ferg into the joker role.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I'm on the fence with Judon. As much as I like him I don't want to overpay him for 9.5 sacks in a contract year. We know our front 7 needs to be rebuilt but not signing Judon will make it more difficult. I can't see us being aggressive in free agency with the limited cap space we have. Most of those defensive FAs will be expensive unless they take a discount to play with Lamar. Let's hope Harbaugh has good conversations at the pro bowl.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post

EDGE - Clowney, Yannick, Armstead, Fowler, Barrett, Dupree, Judon, Van Noy, Quinn, Clayborn, JPP, Nassib, Sheard, Ogbah, Lawson

And the draft in the first 3 rounds actually doesn't look too bad. Much better than I initially thought.

I think you have to seriously consider who you want to be your premium guy. I'm not sure it's Matt Judon. Would you rather pay an extra 4M per year and get Yannick, for example? I would.

You have to draft a SAM, but you can get a guy like Darrell Taylor or Michale Divinity in R3 to play with Bowser at SAM and on pass downs you can slide Ferg into the joker role.
    Love Darrell Taylor's potential ..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post

Its interesting to see what EDC does. This team has always put a premium on their own player that they know, who have shown ability and progression (Judon has on both fronts) over the fancy name that they know less about and have to project as far as fit in scheme and lockerroom.

Judon fits what we do here, he just needs some help opposite of him. Honestly I think Judons 9.5 sack season with Bowser opposite him, is more impressive than ZSmith's 8.5 with he and Suggs opposite. I dont think anybody is questioning whether Smith earned his contract, and the Packers were smart enough to know they needed more than just him for him to really meet his potential.

I think the Ravens understand this but with their capital being invested in the secondary, im not sure what theyll invest in the edge. It likely will only be 1 FA not 2, which means it will likely come down to whether we value our own, over the allure of bigger name, even at 4m and the name being Ngakoue (who I like a lot myself), Im not sure they pull the trigger for that.

Maybe EDC surprises us all and double dips. Id love it, personally.
    -JAB

One things for sure, its got to be Judon or someone better than Judon. They can't strike out completely, so they're going to have to decide who it is that they overpay. They let Z Smith walk because they still had Judon, not the case this year.

As stated by someone else in this thread, I 'd love to see them get that guy that can push the middle of the pocket too, if feasible.

I think they need to fix the front 7 now as in next year. Year 3 of Lamars rookie deal is next year so the window is closing...

If Yanda retires they have to either draft a guy who can start or go FA...the backups can't begin to fill his shoes

Blog Entries

Only the coaches know enough to answer a pivotal question: Can Tyus Bowser become close to Matt Judon

Blog Entries

I wonder how many sacks he’d have if it weren’t for the secondary.

Tag Judon before FA. If you can get a replacement in FA, pull the tag. If he signs the tag, trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogidriver View Post
    One things for sure, its got to be Judon or someone better than Judon. They can't strike out completely, so they're going to have to decide who it is that they overpay. They let Z Smith walk because they still had Judon, not the case this year.

As stated by someone else in this thread, I 'd love to see them get that guy that can push the middle of the pocket too, if feasible.

I think they need to fix the front 7 now as in next year. Year 3 of Lamars rookie deal is next year so the window is closing...

If Yanda retires they have to either draft a guy who can start or go FA...the backups can't begin to fill his shoes
    Not sure you can say that with any certainty. Z Smith provided the blueprint. And Judon and his agent would be crazy not to maximize this.... So I would say it's a long shot, and tagging him, really limits what the team can do with other positions of needs, i.e., LB's plural. What I've learned to do is not underestimate EDC. The Peters move was bold and proactive. The Tayvon Young signing was bold. Same with Boyle, Rickard and Fort. Nothing will be a surprise with the new proactive F.O. I wouldn't be shocked if they draft a RB.

To me, Judon is just another guy in this defense. High caliber secondary, blitz friendly, and he still couldn’t get double digit sacks. Not only that, take into consideration his run defense. He has woofed on so many tackles on backs it’s disgusting. If I were EDC, I’m not paying him game changing player money to be something he’s not