Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Judon

Blog Entries

Re: Matt Judon

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreravenous View Post
    This is the wrong take but not for the reason you’d think - OCs scheme to stop Judon because he’s all we had in 2019. If he wasn’t chipped, he could wreak havoc.

But - you are right, he’s not THAT dude. He’s a solid edge player who deserves top 5 money that will immediately becomes top 15 money with Bosa, Garett, Watt, and Ingram all sign.

On Z Smith - he didn’t get any better, the packers D Line and edge players (smith brothers) are studs. It’s like when we had Dumerville and Suggs
    I agree with that analysis. The question is, can Ferguson become that guy on the other side that gives us that Packers situation? Preston Smith was exactly the same way Z Smith when he was on the Redskins. Put them together and you get over 25 sacks in a season. Do we have that potential with Judon and Ferguson?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I agree with that analysis. The question is, can Ferguson become that guy on the other side that gives us that Packers situation? Preston Smith was exactly the same way Z Smith when he was on the Redskins. Put them together and you get over 25 sacks in a season. Do we have that potential with Judon and Ferguson?
    Honestly, going to be really tough.

It’s free agency, so numbers will be larger. Do the ravens go Judon or drop him for someone else? Is it worth trying to tag and trade (for what player or pick??).

The PFF numbers, if you like them, don’t favor him one bit. https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-50-...agents-in-2020

Time will have to tell, but I’d personally love one of the 3 big guys that fit DT-3/4DE than can collapse the pocket and are solid in the run.
    Just win baby...

I hope we sign him... whats the point of being able to sign people with a young qb if you just let all of your best players walk?
    All ravens fans are right about something

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    Honestly, going to be really tough.

It’s free agency, so numbers will be larger. Do the ravens go Judon or drop him for someone else? Is it worth trying to tag and trade (for what player or pick??).

The PFF numbers, if you like them, don’t favor him one bit. https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-50-...agents-in-2020

Time will have to tell, but I’d personally love one of the 3 big guys that fit DT-3/4DE than can collapse the pocket and are solid in the run.
    Our D Line was designed with a priority of stopping the run because the bet was that our secondary is so good, we can give them 3-4 seconds....

Quote Originally Posted by EdReed4HOF View Post
    So Harbs came out and admitted it's going to be tough to re-sign him during his presser. Should the Ravens really break the bank for Judon anyways though? He's a good player but not an elite player, still fell short of 10 sacks on the year. He's obviously the Ravens best pass rusher currently, but I feel like his production can be replaced with a good edge rusher in the draft or even someone else in FA at a cheaper price.
    Judon was a developmental prospect. Thats why he was a late round pick. I dont think he was expected to even get so many snaps early in his career, and making his way onto the field so early (especially under harbaugh) says a lot about his talent level. One way to look at him is like you said, he could be better.

But i think its really important to note that there have been many OLBs in the past several years that took a little time and then became an elite playmaker.

The ravens own Za”darius Smith is a good example. Preston Smith another one. The packers saw elite to-be talent and essentially signed them to a discount considering the production this season. Look at Shaq Barret now, or even Dante Fowler. Heck i remember back in the day when Jared Allen showed some potential his last season on the Chiefs and they let him walk thinking that he wouldnt be worth the money.

I would say if you”re not sure about Judon then tag him. But I think he was just overachieving at developing like many of these players, and ive seen the talent is there for him to become a 20 sack player, especially if you get a legit pass rusher opposite him. I would lock him up at a cheaper rate now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post
    A 27yr who hasn't had a double digit sack season. Yeah for the love of god dont give him a premium pass rusher contract
    agreed and this is not because he isn't a decent pass rusher. imo, he's just not consistent enough. He had 62 pressures and 35 of them were unblocked or cleanup pressures and only 9.5 of them were sacks. He is showing improvement, but differently than ZDS did last season. The franchise tag may be the best thing we can do.

Another thing to consider is he is the only real pass rusher we had all season and if someone else was on the opposite side, his numbers would have probably been better.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I don't like Clowney at all. He's one of the most overrated players in the NFL. I'd pay Judon before Clowney. 32 sacks in 6 years and paid like an elite player? No thank you. That's why the Seahawks aren't even going to try to bring him back.
    Clowney is a much better player than Judon and is one of the best at setting the edge. Something that is needed. He was playing through injury for most of the season this year. Look at the games he has played vs. the games that Judon has played. You also have to consider that he is helping the rest of the line, because he is double teamed a lot and Judon is rarely double teamed.

Sure one of his problems is availability and that could be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by justifythegame View Post
    Judon was a developmental prospect. Thats why he was a late round pick. I dont think he was expected to even get so many snaps early in his career, and making his way onto the field so early (especially under harbaugh) says a lot about his talent level. One way to look at him is like you said, he could be better.

But i think its really important to note that there have been many OLBs in the past several years that took a little time and then became an elite playmaker.

The ravens own Za”darius Smith is a good example. Preston Smith another one. The packers saw elite to-be talent and essentially signed them to a discount considering the production this season. Look at Shaq Barret now, or even Dante Fowler. Heck i remember back in the day when Jared Allen showed some potential his last season on the Chiefs and they let him walk thinking that he wouldnt be worth the money.

I would say if you”re not sure about Judon then tag him. But I think he was just overachieving at developing like many of these players, and ive seen the talent is there for him to become a 20 sack player, especially if you get a legit pass rusher opposite him. I would lock him up at a cheaper rate now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What's a cheaper rate for you? If we have a legit pass rusher opposite him how do you think we can pay both AND our secondary and everybody else? He's had half the team blitzing around him and not commanding double teams. His production went up, yes (so did his snaps btw), but still he didn't break out for me. Good player, not elite and we can't pay 18mil for just a good player.

Blog Entries

One thing that Green Bay did get from Smith, that's not going to be mentioned often in these conversations, is leadership. The word out of Green Bay, was that Smith came in as a very good leader from day one. Setting the tone by example, through work ethic and rallying the team. He was recognized as one of the leaders on that defense before training camp ended. They got that, on top of the 10+ sacks.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Tag him before FA and if you get a better option, rescind it.

11. Re: Matt Judon

This is not an easy one. No clear good answers. Some things that I'm reading don't make much sense to me. People talk about having Ferguson replacing Judon. But Ferguson is already on the Ravens. Isn't Ferguson already out there on the edge. And who exactly are all the edgers? It seems to me that if Judon left, there would have to be a new player brought in. What seemed to happen in the last offseason was that 2 edgers and 1 ILB left, and they were replaced by "next man up" but they didn't really seem to bring in enough new players, to replace the 3 that left. IDL remained strong, the secondary had injuries, but Thomas was brought in to replace Weddle. What they did, it appeared to me, was wait until 4 games were over, and brought in the replacements at that point. Fort, Bynes were 2, Jihad Ward, Jelly Ellis, all brought in at front 7. Peters was such a key addition (the Ravens seem to have a surplus at db at this point, they can let go players like Jefferson) and Clark really played well especially considering green dot.

I haven't been here too long, is it normal to wait until after 4 games are over to identify what the problem spots are, where there are injuries? I dunno, maybe?

It seems to be a trend that other teams are always or almost always going to want to pay the Ravens edgers more than the Ravens want to, and it's usually quite a lot of money, something like $15 M+ a year, so it seems to me that the Ravens are going to need to draft an edger high every year and I'd think the Ravens would want to do that this year, with the 1/28 pick. Seems like the Ravens might also want to Franchise tag Judon. If they like Judon long term maybe they can sign him, if they like Clowney they can sign him to a long term deal, and I guess they don't need to spend the 1/28 on an edger if they're signing Judon or other to a long term deal. It seems like if they don't sign Judon or they don't sign a Clowney type, they're going to get worse at edge, at least in the beginning of the season, even if they're drafting edge with 1/28.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFanMania View Post
    agreed and this is not because he isn't a decent pass rusher. imo, he's just not consistent enough. He had 62 pressures and 35 of them were unblocked or cleanup pressures and only 9.5 of them were sacks. He is showing improvement, but differently than ZDS did last season. The franchise tag may be the best thing we can do.

Another thing to consider is he is the only real pass rusher we had all season and if someone else was on the opposite side, his numbers would have probably been better.
    I agree with a lot of this but I don't think you can accuse Judon of lacking consistency. He's given us 4 years of solid, reliable, high effort play and has been a good team mate while playing a lot of snaps and avoiding injury - that's pretty consistent. I think his numbers have been hurt because he's been the only Raven that opponents have had to worry about this year.

A lot of people seem to want Clowney who's undoubtedly better but will cost more money, miss more time and save his big games for the TV cameras. I think there's something to be said for Judon's consistency.