Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Judon

Blog Entries

Re: Matt Judon

Now that we have Calais, I’m rethinking letting Judon walk.

If we’re shooting the moon with Calais; i don’t want to risk wasting any of the short amount of time we have with him.

Letting Judon go would create a hole at edge rusher that ‘might’ not get filled.

Adding Calais to Judon AND drafting pass rushing talent vaults the pass defense and overall defense to another level.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post

If we’re shooting the moon with Calais; i don’t want to risk wasting any of the short amount of time we have with him.

Letting Judon go would create a hole at edge rusher that ‘might’ not get filled.

Adding Calais to Judon AND drafting pass rushing talent vaults the pass defense and overall defense to another level.
    Correct me if I am wrong.

Everyone the Ravens have Franchised in the past - they have been able to negotiate a long term, cap friendlier, deal and the player continued to be a Raven.

The Ravens have not been a 'Tag & Trade' organization.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post

They already tagged him, only option would be a trade... I anticipate him just playing under the tag in 2020. They will re-evaluate their options after the season to see if Ferg or a rookie really start clicking, they would let Judon walk at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post

Everyone the Ravens have Franchised in the past - they have been able to negotiate a long term, cap friendlier, deal and the player continued to be a Raven.

I'm sort of torn with Judon. He rarely generates pressure with a 4man rush. He is a guy who is a good pass rusher who put up grossly inflated numbers due to the amount of blitzes we call.

I think having him play under the tag is the smart move from the perspective of the franchise because we would be getting a comp pick and having him play under a short 1 yr deal at basically what he could be getting with on an extension. The worst outcome to me an extension because it is the worst of both worlds. You extend a guy who probably will never be worth his deal like we have done so many times before with guys like Webb and Bwill. We also lose future cap flexibility. Finally, and maybe most importantly we lose the potential asset of a high draft pick he could have brought back either via a trade or as a comp pick.

For me anyways my hope is we sort of sniff around FA to see if Clowney or another guy like Fowler is interested. If yes we work out a trade of Judon and sign one of them. If not we keep Judon.

I think we might accept something less than a 2nd this year rather than wait for the 3rd round comp (a de facto 4th) next year if there is match with a team who will pay Judon and he wants to go there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    They already tagged him, only option would be a trade... I anticipate him just playing under the tag in 2020. They will re-evaluate their options after the season to see if Ferg or a rookie really start clicking, they would let Judon walk at that point.
    Right. I should have been more precise with my wording but I was talking about trading him.

Having Campbell changes the dynamic of the Judon situation.
    I was okay with letting him go via trade but now I think keeping Judon and Campbell together could create a synergistic effect on the pass rush that would be worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    I mean they do have the option of rescinding the tag until the player signs it. I don't think he has yet and likely won't in order to maintain a little bit of leverage.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post

everyone except one and I can't remember who that player was.

Blog Entries

Question Re: Matt Judon

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFanMania View Post
    I think he was an O-lineman years ago, but can't remember his name at the moment... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFanMania View Post
    Wally Williams.

I'd add to the "Ravens not being a 'Tag & Trade' organization"....that's correct for the time they were run by Ozzie Newsome.

EDC has been a LOT more aggressive with trades than Ozzie ever was. I don't think trading Judon is option number 1, but I absolutely feel that they would be open if the right offer was there.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think we might accept something less than a 2nd this year rather than wait for the 3rd round comp (a de facto 4th) next year if there is match with a team who will pay Judon and he wants to go there.
    Can't read DeCosta's mind, but I'm not sure he'd take less than a 2nd. 1st off we can just keep Judon for one year, and use the time to sign him long-term, or let him walk in 2021. The Ravens have flexibility so why settle for a lesser draft choice? ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Can't read DeCosta's mind, but I'm not sure he'd take less than a 2nd. 1st off we can just keep Judon for one year, and use the time to sign him long-term, or let him walk in 2021. The Ravens have flexibility so why settle for a lesser draft choice? ... Bc
    Only reason I can think of is is to not going into the season with a few million in cap space.
    If we end up trading him, I trust EDC to get a high second.

We can probably have Beasley for half of what Judon is getting with the tag, if we feel like adding some edge rush before the Draft.