Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Judon

Re: Matt Judon

I agree that I'm not completely enthused about re-signing Judon, but there better be a strong backup plan here if he walks.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Yeah im not saying hes Z, just that i was wrong in that case. Agree that was an anomaly - thinking of Adalyus Thomas, Scott, and others who got paid but were just ok elsewhere. Think Doom fits that same mold for us.

We can tag after the draft right? Defer the call IMO. Not much behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by heartattackjones View Post
    Yeah im not saying hes Z, just that i was wrong in that case. Agree that was an anomaly - thinking of Adalyus Thomas, Scott, and others who got paid but were just ok elsewhere. Think Doom fits that same mold for us.

We can tag after the draft right? Defer the call IMO. Not much behind him.
    Nope...deadline for tagging is at the end of Feb, before UFA starts in March.

You can rescind the tag though late in the offseason (as long as said player hasn't signed the tag...most don't sign it until camp starts as it allows them to skip the offseason). I don't think we are the type of team that would do that to a player though.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Judon is a good player. He's not a great player.

Problem is, some team would almost certainly pay him like he's a great player.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

There's a bunch of ways to look at the Judon issue.

Can Judon become an elite pass rusher?

How can the team replace his production if he's gone?

Can Bowser/Ferguson become what Judon was and do we even need them to?
    -Wink already blitzes a ton and the pressure the team generates comes from the blitz so how much do we really lose if Judon goes since we're already reliant upon the blitz?

Does the defense improve more if "Judon's" money is spent elsewhere?

Another poster mentioned Chris Jones in another thread.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    Agreed but one reason I’m going franchise tag is that it’ll let them pursue a FA edge/iDL pass rusher on a long term deal as well and then you let Judon walk next offseason (I truly believe wherever he signs long term he’ll likely be overpaid, just don’t see him breaking elite like Z Smith did). If nothing comes to fruition through FA then you start considering locking Judon down long term. I’d personally way rather have Clowney here on a long term deal over Judon, if that’s possible. Applying the tag and wait and see in Fa gives us the luxury to see if it is possible. Really think this team has to go all in for the upcoming season as it will likely be the last year we have Lamar on a cheap deal.
    I don't like Clowney at all. He's one of the most overrated players in the NFL. I'd pay Judon before Clowney. 32 sacks in 6 years and paid like an elite player? No thank you. That's why the Seahawks aren't even going to try to bring him back.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Nope...deadline for tagging is at the end of Feb, before UFA starts in March.

You can rescind the tag though late in the offseason (as long as said player hasn't signed the tag...most don't sign it until camp starts as it allows them to skip the offseason). I don't think we are the type of team that would do that to a player though.
    Gotta let him hit the market then. Only a tough call bc of the state of our roster.

I love Judon's game and swagger he brings to the field. He even cut back on his mind-numbing plays in a big way. I just cant justify paying him that elite market price. (because he isnt on that level)

I'm not sure if his sack numbers are down because he is asked to do a ton of different things here, but it wouldnt surprise me if he left and had a similar impact to Z. Smith.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I don't like Clowney at all. He's one of the most overrated players in the NFL. I'd pay Judon before Clowney. 32 sacks in 6 years and paid like an elite player? No thank you. That's why the Seahawks aren't even going to try to bring him back.
    I totally agree, GOTA. Overrated and over-priced are a toxic mix. I don't believe he would be DeCosta's cup of tea either... Bc

I don’t think one OC played Baltimore this season thinking “how are we gonna stop judos”. He is a player that has stretches. A great game here and there, But not consistent enough to call him elite or put him in the class with milller, Mack, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Judon is a good player. He's not a great player.

Problem is, some team would almost certainly pay him like he's a great player.
    And that will be that team's problem, not ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensblitzkrieg View Post
    I don’t think one OC played Baltimore this season thinking “how are we gonna stop judos”. He is a player that has stretches. A great game here and there, But not consistent enough to call him elite or put him in the class with milller, Mack, etc..
    This is the wrong take but not for the reason you’d think - OCs scheme to stop Judon because he’s all we had in 2019. If he wasn’t chipped, he could wreak havoc.

But - you are right, he’s not THAT dude. He’s a solid edge player who deserves top 5 money that will immediately becomes top 15 money with Bosa, Garett, Watt, and Ingram all sign.

On Z Smith - he didn’t get any better, the packers D Line and edge players (smith brothers) are studs. It’s like when we had Dumerville and Suggs