Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Judon

Blog Entries

Re: Matt Judon

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Someone is going to Beasley. He won't get top money but he's going to get more than people think. There will be a couple of GMs or coaches who were high on him during the draft and think they can succeed where the Falcons failed. This is a guy with almost 40 sacks and someone who had an All Pro season. He's not a bust or someone with injury issues like Shane Ray. Beasley is someone who didn't live up to expectations much like Dante Fowler from the same draft class. Fowler got $12 million in a 1 year prove it deal last year. I can see Beasley getting a multi-year deal with that kind of average. I sure wouldn't want to pay him that but pass rushers are in such demand that someone is going to look at his 37.5 sacks and his 15.5 sack year and pay him
    While I agree with everything you said regarding Beasley and his contract, Dante Fowler is a much better player and is not a great comp. Beasleys all pro year may have been one the luckiest results from a pass rushing efficiency prospective of all time. He had a crazy number of sacks vs pressures. And he still racks up a few sacks, but largely coverage and very little in the way of creating consistent pressure. He really isn’t good

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    While I agree with everything you said regarding Beasley and his contract, Dante Fowler is a much better player and is not a great comp. Beasleys all pro year may have been one the luckiest results from a pass rushing efficiency prospective of all time. He had a crazy number of sacks vs pressures. And he still racks up a few sacks, but largely coverage and very little in the way of creating consistent pressure. He really isn’t good
    Have you looked at how often he is sent on a blitz? According to Pro football reference he was sent 22 times in 18 and 34 times last year. He was also converted to ED and played significant snaps there for both years.

That kind of matters. The fact he had 13 sacks and 38 pressures (20 in 18' and 18 in 19') in that kind of role isn't as bad as you would think.

Judon as an example was sent on a blitz 150 times last season and had 31 pressures and 9.5 sacks. Did Beasley have some all pro year? No but to me he has shown he can beat his man and create pressure I'd be more then happy to have him as our 2nd starting OLB.

As far as Fowler goes he had the much better year and plays the run better but he also is going to get a huge contract.

I feel like if Judon was on another team his whole career and we started Ferg/Bowser all of last season we would be chomping at the bit to sign Judon to a big deal "He's only 27! His best football is still ahead of him!"

It's just not as sexy when it's a re-sign. Everybody gets a hard on for other team's UFA but your own always lack the same type of splash appeal.

The truth is trading Judon will almost certainly hurt our already pedestrian pass rush in 2020 unless some serious magic is worked in the aftermath by EDC.

It’s hard for me to imagine our pass rush even keeping at the same level if Judson isn’t a raven in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    Have you looked at how often he is sent on a blitz? According to Pro football reference he was sent 22 times in 18 and 34 times last year. He was also converted to ED and played significant snaps there for both years.

That kind of matters. The fact he had 13 sacks and 38 pressures (20 in 18' and 18 in 19') in that kind of role isn't as bad as you would think.

Judon as an example was sent on a blitz 150 times last season and had 31 pressures and 9.5 sacks. Did Beasley have some all pro year? No but to me he has shown he can beat his man and create pressure I'd be more then happy to have him as our 2nd starting OLB.

As far as Fowler goes he had the much better year and plays the run better but he also is going to get a huge contract.
    He has had a mediocre at best PRWR (pass rush win rate) and Pressure rate. No thanks. I'll take him on a dirt cheap deal, but I'd rely on him no more than we did on Shane Ray.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G54377 View Post
    It’s hard for me to imagine our pass rush even keeping at the same level if Judson isn’t a raven in 2020.
    Yes, very good point, but the common thought (including my own) is that he will be "Franchised." That would keep him in Baltimore for at least another year. Otherwise, DeCosta can sign him to a 2nd contract OR trade him and garner draft choices to use to bolster the Ravens pass-rush. Judon is one of those players, like Za'Smith was, that may be on the cusp of their best pro football years, but nobody really knows (?) ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    He has had a mediocre at best PRWR (pass rush win rate) and Pressure rate. No thanks. I'll take him on a dirt cheap deal, but I'd rely on him no more than we did on Shane Ray.
    I disagree not that I think he's a world beater or anything but I think when used effectively he can be a good pass rusher probably not much worse then Judon. That has value especially when you don't have any internal alternatives.

As a reference point how did Judons numbers look? Just for comparison purposes because Judon had 31 pressures on 150 blitzes.

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    I disagree not that I think he's a world beater or anything but I think when used effectively he can be a good pass rusher probably not much worse then Judon.
    I don't think the league would agree with that. I doubt he'll even make half of Judon's salary next year.
    It's possible that you see something in Beasley that the league is missing but it's probably more likely that you're overrating him.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I don't think the league would agree with that. I doubt he'll even make half of Judon's salary next year.
    It's possible that you see something in Beasley that the league is missing but it's probably more likely that you're overrating him.
    Well the Falcons did pick up the 5th year option last season which isn't that much different then franchising him 13 vs 15 million so the Falcons thought he had value league wide.

i think teams tend to sort of give up on guys that they draft high who don't turn in to elite players even when they demonstrate they can be still be good-to-useful starters and I don't really know why. It maybe an ego thing with GM's because they don't want fans to constantly be reminded every game of guys that were overdrafted (and think about the mistakes that weren't) but you see it time and time again.

I think he could be a decent starter for us or an excellent situational pass rusher. We didn't draft him 8th overall and with all due respect to the comparisons to Ray who had two sacks total in the two years prior to us signing him and whose best year he basically had 8 sacks they aren't comparable. Beasley had 8 sacks last season in what most consider a down year. Dan Quinn base defense was a 4 man rush and Beasley had no help. The whole team was in the bottom half of pressures and sacks last year that shows the Falcons problems extended well beyond him and while people like to pretend he dragged their pass rush down I think it's the other way around. He still led the team in sacks by the way so to me I think he is sort of the classic guy put him next to another pass rusher where he isn't the complete focus and watch his sack totals rise.

He isn't a von miller, mack, or a guy capable of generating a pass rush despite what is happening around him he needs a good situation. i also think with his speed he sort of is perfect for this blitzing defense because where we had guys who just missed the QB because they were a step too slow he's a guy who plays fast and is capable when unblocked of sacking the qb even if he sees him. I love McPhee and thought he handled himself decent before he went down but to me putting Beasley next to Judon or whomever else would be a huge upgrade.

Sorry for the long ass post
    Last edited by boller4president; 02-22-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Judon dropped into coverage on about 30% of snaps last year

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Judon dropped into coverage on about 30% of snaps last year
    And he was in for most running plays too.

Blog Entries

I can't wait to see Josh Uche at the combine.

if...If...IF he looks big enough to play OLB in the NFL then I don't see what Judon can do that he couldn't
    Last edited by edromeo; 02-22-2020 at 02:37 PM.