Page 1 of 47 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Judon

Matt Judon

So Harbs came out and admitted it's going to be tough to re-sign him during his presser. Should the Ravens really break the bank for Judon anyways though? He's a good player but not an elite player, still fell short of 10 sacks on the year. He's obviously the Ravens best pass rusher currently, but I feel like his production can be replaced with a good edge rusher in the draft or even someone else in FA at a cheaper price.

Blog Entries

Re: Matt Judon

Franchise tag. Don’t pursue long term deal for time being.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    Franchise tag. Don’t pursue long term deal for time being.
    They do have the space this year so that's not a bad idea. For 2019 that would have cost $15.443 and we know it's going to be a lot more since pass rushers got paid this past year. A long term deal works if you can get the average per year way down but I don't think Judon would accept that.

Z'Darius Smith got $16.5 a year and had 10 less career sacks after his 4th season than Judon. Judon is going to want more. The franchise tag makes sense because you could then see if Ferguson can fill in to that spot if you let Judon go in 2021.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    They do have the space this year so that's not a bad idea. For 2019 that would have cost $15.443 and we know it's going to be a lot more since pass rushers got paid this past year. A long term deal works if you can get the average per year way down but I don't think Judon would accept that.

Z'Darius Smith got $16.5 a year and had 10 less career sacks after his 4th season than Judon. Judon is going to want more. The franchise tag makes sense because you could then see if Ferguson can fill in to that spot if you let Judon go in 2021.
    Agreed but one reason I’m going franchise tag is that it’ll let them pursue a FA edge/iDL pass rusher on a long term deal as well and then you let Judon walk next offseason (I truly believe wherever he signs long term he’ll likely be overpaid, just don’t see him breaking elite like Z Smith did). If nothing comes to fruition through FA then you start considering locking Judon down long term. I’d personally way rather have Clowney here on a long term deal over Judon, if that’s possible. Applying the tag and wait and see in Fa gives us the luxury to see if it is possible. Really think this team has to go all in for the upcoming season as it will likely be the last year we have Lamar on a cheap deal.

Using the franchise tag also gives us more time to draft and develop someone (maybe Ferguson, maybe someone new), and/or to find a better value than Judon in free agency.

I'm content to "overpay" Judon for one year when the cupboard is otherwise bare for our pass rush. The franchise tag will allow us to do that without committing to multiple years of overpaying for good-but-not-elite production.

A 27yr who hasn't had a double digit sack season. Yeah for the love of god dont give him a premium pass rusher contract

Personality wise he's a great fit for the team but yeah don't pay him big bucks. Hell never live up to it. Then again i didnt know Z was gonna lead the defense in GB either.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post
    A 27yr who hasn't had a double digit sack season. Yeah for the love of god dont give him a premium pass rusher contract
    Ive had arguments on twitter with Ravens fans who claim Judon is in a class that includes Khalil Mack and Jadaveon Clowney. You’d be surprised how beloved he is by many fans. He’s a good player, out of 8 tiers of edge players I’d put him in the third, but hes not even approaching the aforementioned players.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by heartattackjones View Post
    Personality wise he's a great fit for the team but yeah don't pay him big bucks. Hell never live up to it. Then again i didnt know Z was gonna lead the defense in GB either.
    I’be heard that argument plenty as to why we gotta resign Judon. Z has turned into an elite player. It happens but its extremely rare for that to happen, just look at the vast number of defensive players that have left Bmore for big bucks and fell right on their face. Z Smith is an anomaly and you don’t base decisions on those.

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    Ive had arguments on twitter with Ravens fans who claim Judon is in a class that includes Khalil Mack and Jadaveon Clowney. You’d be surprised how beloved he is by many fans. He’s a good player, out of 8 tiers of edge players I’d put him in the third, but hes not even approaching the aforementioned players.
    morons on reddit seem to think so too

ayo

Blog Entries

I just don't see enough of a difference between Judon and Smith, for me to see their justification for paying Judon, when they didn't pay Smith. This is also a part of the reason why you sign Peters. You recognize that rebuilding the front seven will be a long-term project. So, for now, you're building your defense from the outside in. With that in mind, don't overpay up front.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore