Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Has Anyone Heard or Read Any Rational Answer to Passing 70 Times

Quote Originally Posted by RavensPPark View Post
    Here is the best explanation I've seen: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/01/ten...ravens-offense.

Basically, TEN manhandled our line so BAL couldn't play base personnel. Here's how the article explains it:

Tennessee’s defensive linemen had their way with Baltimore’s line. They consistently help up Ravens blockers and prevented them from getting to the second level. That kept Titans linebackers clean all game. Evans, Wesley Woodyard and rookie David Long Jr. rarely had to defeat blocks to get to ball carriers. The Titans seemed to have at least two free hitters on every run play.

But it was the failure of the interior line that really set the Ravens back. They could not handle Tennessee’s odd front, which forced Baltimore out of its comfort zone. Knowing that the Ravens couldn’t run against the Titans’ base personnel, Greg Roman was forced to play the most three-receiver sets he played all season. The Ravens were in 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) on just over 75% of their snaps on Saturday. Over the second half of the season, they were in 11 personnel on just 37% of their snaps, the lowest rate in the playoff field, per Sports Info Solutions.

The article also notes that TEN didn't do anything sophisticated. They just executed their game plan and from other things I've seen, when BAL had an opportunity, they couldn't capitalize.

BAL is a young team. for whatever reason, they played a B- game. It happens.
    You would think the ravens could also throw out of 12 personnel, if they couldn’t get the run game to work, having one of the best TE groups in the nfl.

Blog Entries

Hint: There ARE none.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    I might have missed it. Hectic couple of days with wife's father having a heart attack. I just wondered has any source gotten a legitimate explanation from coaches or players or trainers or Poe.

I know we have to move on, but before I can, I need answers!! Logical, fact based answers mainly from Harbs and GRo. This is the second year in a row that the play calling in the Playoffs was horrendous. If I missed you guys already posting something, sorry, I can't catch up to the amount of posts the past couple days.
    they didn't pass 70 times, they passed 59 times.

Listen to the podcoast on filmstudybaltimore.com on the offense vs. the Titans.

I think when the Titans beat the Chiefs this year in the regular season, they continued running the ball after they went down 10-0

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFanMania View Post
    they didn't pass 70 times, they passed 59 times.

Listen to the podcoast on filmstudybaltimore.com on the offense vs. the Titans.
    Lamar dropped back to pass 70 times. He just scrambled 11 of those times, because he couldn't find an open receiver or was being pressured.
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

I missed most of it, but I know filmstudy was on 105.7 the other day And explained why they threw so much and said he didn’t have an issue with it. Originally, I was upset with the lack of running, but the bottom line is there were plays out there to be made, and they just didn’t make them.

I think a healthy Andrews would have made a huge difference. He really had zero separation the large majority of the time. I also think if Hurst had been a bigger part of the offense all year long that might’ve change the outcome as well.

The good thing is, I am convinced Lamar will work on those out routes, decosta will get that receiver to make it harder to sit on those out routes, and Hurst will be a bigger part of the office next year.

Anyway, just my .02 cents!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    /thread
    What does /thread mean. I haven't been on web boards besides this.

Thanks everyone for the answers. Forgot about filmstudy, he's great with his analysis.

What does /thread mean. I haven't been on web boards besides this.

Thanks everyone for the answers. Forgot about filmstudy, he's great with his analysis.
    End thread

9. Re: Has Anyone Heard or Read Any Rational Answer to Passing 70 Times

I want to hear it from the coaches, especially Roman. The getting 3 carries, Picard only seven plays, Hurst underutilized with 70 pass plays called, Hill no carries. Sorry Jim, I don't see any attempt at balance.
    Don't look at the overall game. The last 37 snaps came with the Ravens trailing by 2+ scores and less than 20 minutes remaining (34 dropbacks). Note that on the 5th drive, the Ravens ran 13 plays (all dropbacks) in the 2 minute offense. If we properly account for that drive, the Ravens ran on 18 of 40 plays through their 6th drive. Perhaps they should have run more (ineffective as it was), but they hardly abandoned the run.

Drive q time Ravens Titans dropback run Cumulative DB Cumulative Runs
    11:42
    03:31
    14:39
    11:13
    02:32
    14:55
    06:54
    04:16
    14:49
    06:25
    02:45

As for Ricard, the Ravens gained 7 yards on the 7 snaps he played.

Number type Snaps Gain YPP
    dropbacks
    called runs
    total

RBs not getting carries is on Lamar/TEN. Per Michael Crawford (@abukari), the Ravens ran 9 option plays throughout the game. Lamar kept on all 9. That's how he ended up with 20 carries. He also wasn't particularly successful on those options, gaining only 35 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Lamar dropped back to pass 70 times. He just scrambled 11 of those times, because he couldn't find an open receiver or was being pressured.
    Lamar scrambled 8. He was sacked 4 times.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

10. Re: Has Anyone Heard or Read Any Rational Answer to Passing 70 Times

Quote Originally Posted by guymf4 View Post
    To the original point if this thread, I would love a great breakdown of this game posted on here. It was just too painful to do anything but gawk while watching. Everything just felt wrong
    Simplest way is probably to focus on the 7 to 10 big plays:

Q1, 08:02, 2nd & 10 from TEN 36
    Andrews tips ball to Byard. Instead of 3rd & 10 from TEN 36 (or possibly 1st & 10 inside TEN 25), Titans get the ball 1st & 10 from BAL 35

Q1, 03:06, 3rd & goal from BAL 12
    Smith makes insane catch in EZ. Instead of settling for field goal following ETIII's sack, Titans go up 7-0

Q2, 15:00, 4th & inches from BAL 45
    Titans stop Lamar on QB power, forcing a turnover on downs

Q2, 14:45, 1st & 10 from BAL 45
    Kalif Raymond (who?) burns Marlon (who got very little help from Clark) for a 45 yard TD. Ravens down 14-0, Tannehill wouldn't throw another pass over 5 Air Yards for the remainder of the night.

Q2, 14:39, 1st & 10 from BAL 26
    Lamar threads the needle (with a wobbler?) between three defenders. Seth Roberts has a potential TD pass bounce off his hands. Ravens would drop back to pass on next two plays, go three and out. All momentum completely gone.

Q2, 06:47, 1st & 10 from TEN 29
    Lamar misses a wide open Hurst in the middle of the field, forcing the ball outside to Hollywood. Adoree Jackson breaks on the ball, knocking it away. 3 plays later (following a Snead drop on a pass slightly behind him), the Ravens would settle for a field goal. Hurst had a good chance to score, but he would have been inside the 10 regardless. (Note that he was lined up at FB on this play. More of this in 2020, please). Ravens finally on the board, but it could have been 7. Titans up 14-3

Q2, 02:32, 1st & 10 from BAL 5
    Following De'Anthony Thomas' 2nd penalty this season for blocking after a fair catch signal, the Ravens start at their own 5 yard line. Lamar marches them down the field, converting a 3rd & 16 from his own 9, and a 3rd & 14 from the TEN 42 (Hollywood one-handed catch!), but the Ravens blow too much time and have to settle for a field goal (interesting clock management costs them up to ~35 seconds, a sack hurts them, and Lamar scrambles on the final offensive play of the half, losing 7 seconds and ensuring they would only have one shot from the TEN 4). A Ravens' fg cuts it to 14-6.

Q3, 10:01, 4th & 1 from TEN 18
    The Ravens marched down the field to start Q3, trailing 14-6. Instead of kicking a field goal, the Ravens stick with their aggressive mindset, but come up short after the Titans pack the box.

Q3, 08:37, 3rd & 1 from TEN 28
    3 plays after stopping the Ravens on 4th down for the 2nd time, Derrick Henry slips a Matthew Judon tackle, eludes Brandon Carr, and rumbles 66 yards before Marcus Peters can bring him down (nearly stripping the ball away in the process!). Those 66 yards represented nearly 34% of Henry's yards for the day.

Q3, 06:59, 3rd & goal from BAL 3
    3 plays after getting the Titans into the red zone, Henry throws his first NFL pass (I believe his first since HS), which he completes to Corey Davis for a TD. Marcus Mariota was on the field for the snap, but motioned out (and was subsequently wide open). Henry's jump pass wasn't pretty, but it got the job done. 21-6 Titans.

Q3, 06:54, 1st & 10 from BAL 25
    On the Ravens next snap from scrimmage, Jurrell Casey beats Stanley inside (with help from a chip from Ingram). Lamar eludes him, but holds the ball too long waiting for Hollywood to come open. Casey's strip sack sets the Titans up in prime real estate (and likely marks when the game became unwinnable as any points on this drive put the Titans up by 3 scores with less than 20 minutes to go).

Q3, 05:59, 3rd & 6 from BAL 16
    Tannehill completes a quick slant to AJ Brown, who eludes Matt Judon (no idea what he was doing here) and picks up the first down.

Q3, 04:20, 3rd & goal from BAL 1
    Taking a page from the Ravens, the Titans runs an option play. ETIII is forced to pick up the pitch man (Henry), leaving LJ Fort as the only Raven with a play on Tannehill. A Titan OL gets a hat on Fort, and neither Pierce nor Williams is able to take Tannehill down before he crosses the goal line. 28-6 Titans, and this game is all but over.

I'll add a few more plays, but these plays were far less important than Q3.

Q3, 01:50, 3rd & 5 from TEN 35
    Titans drop back in cover 2 and completely fool Lamar, who throws a quick out to Boykin. Vaccarro makes a great catch, but this ball was an incompletion at best from the time it left Lamar's hands.

Q4, 11:09, 2PA
    Lamar finds Hurst for a TD, and the Ravens call an interesting play on the two point attempt. With Chris Moore, Willie Snead, and Miles Boykin split wide right, they roll Lamar in that direction. None are ever open, and Lamar has to force a pass to Boykin in the back of the EZ. It's knocked away. 28-12 Titans. Note that Andrews, lined up as the in-line TE on the left side of the line, was forced to stay in and block on this play. He's likely replacing Boyle, who was injured in Q3 and never returned.

Q4, 04:53, 1st & 10 from TEN 21
    Lamar throws a pass to Hurst that bounces off 81's arm/chest before he can turn his head. Had Hurst turned his head, he likely walks into the EZ as Byard went for the ball. IMO, Lamar saw Hurst open but running into defenders and threw it before he got there. Hurst didn't make the same read and never saw the ball.

Q4, 04:31, 4th & 5 from TEN 16
    Lamar's pass falls incomplete, and the game is well and truly over. The Ravens would touch the ball one more time, but this was their final chance to complete the two score comeback (and it's incredibly unlikely even if they do score here).

Ok, that's way more than 10. IMO, the biggest plays came in Q3: the 4th down stop --> Henry's run + pass --> strip sack --> Brown 3rd down + Tannehill TD = game over.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

I just rewatched the game and boy did the Ravens leave a lot of plays on the field both offensively and defensively. We have talked about the drops. The Ravens ran 91 plays and came away with 12 points. The Ravens punted exactly 1 time and came away with 12 pts. At one point there was 4 consecutive possessions where the ravens had double digit drives going and came away with 3 points. They had a 5 minute time of possession advantage, out gaines them by over 200 yards and only scored 12 pts. That is nearly impossible to do.

Defensively Judon had Henry stopped for a short gain which would have forced a punt instead he misses the tackle and Henry runs for 66 yards. On another play Bowser drops in perfect postion and had a int go right through his hands. Yet again down near the goal line Bynes drops in coverage and has a int go through his hands right before the Tannehill TD.

After rewatching the game I dont think the Ravens played that poorly. Henry rushed for 195 yards yes and we had to stop him. However Tannehill threw for a whopping 88 yards and Tennessee didnt stop the Ravens as much as the Ravens stop themselves. I mean the gave up over 500 yards of total offense. I know people will say that came in garbage time but I will asked people to rewatch the game. The Ravens marched up and down the field on the Titans and the Ravens mistakes stopped them more than Tennessee