Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Captain Obvious Alert: We Need to Figure Out The Passing Offense

This is not going to be an easy task, by any means. For one thing, for all of the talk about needing WRs, we have a TE we barely use. It’s not as if we don’t have anybody at all. We have the best TE duo in the league, but you would think that one is Sonic and the other is Tails, by the way they are used in the passing offense. When, in reality, Tails is really knuckles and the guy you want to go to rain or shine.

That’s before we even get into the WRs, who we somehow have to figure out how to upgrade and/or develop, in an offense, that was last in the league in passing attempts. Are we just going to trot them out there another year, to do a bunch of blocking, and then suddenly, “Oh by the way, we need you guys to go save the day today and it’s the playoffs so chop chop”? What WR of any high quality is going to volunteer to come here when we’re likely going to be either last in passing attempts again, or more likely bottom four?

And that’s before we get into the route concepts, which the Titans were all over.

A lot of work to be done here.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: Captain Obvious Alert: We Need to Figure Out The Passing Offense

Everything we did in the regular season was fine. We passed as much as we needed to pass and led the league in passing touchdowns doing so. The problem is dealing with adversity and sticking to your identity when doing so. Guys need to rise to the occasion and play their best football in January as well as coach their best without outcoaching themselves trying to be too different.

AJ Green, Sanders, Cooper, Anderson, and Agholor are all UFA.

I wouldn't hate trading up to go and get Jeudy or Lamb even if we do land one of them honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post

I wouldn't hate trading up to go and get Jeudy or Lamb even if we do land one of them honestly.
    What would you feel is a fair trade up from #28 to say #9 to pick up one of these guys?

Definitely gonna be two 1's, but probably need to throw some more picks in to get there. Most likely a 2 & 3 or 2 and next years 2.

I wouldn't feel great about those trades, but maybe I'm off base on the compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    What would you feel is a fair trade up from #28 to say #9 to pick up one of these guys?

Definitely gonna be two 1's, but probably need to throw some more picks in to get there. Most likely a 2 & 3 or 2 and next years 2.

I wouldn't feel great about those trades, but maybe I'm off base on the compensation.
    2020 1st
    2020 2nd
    2020 4th
    2021 2nd

I hear ya Sword, and I agree they need to be better throwing the ball when they have to, not just when they want to.

I don't think they are going to get that much better just in personnel changes or current players improving.

My first question is where do the reps come from? Some of the rushing attempts we have come from pass plays that LJ ends up scrambling. Certainly don't want to hinder that in any way. Take 8-10 attempts away from ingram and Gus??

2020 1st
    2020 2nd
    2020 4th
    2021 2nd
    That looks great! I'd be ok with that trade.

I just don't see a 20 spot jump in the first without giving up next years 1 as well. I feel like your compensation would get us to 14 or so, which still might land Lamb.

EDIT:

Just checked the 2011 draft to see what the compensation was for Julio. Atlanta went from 27 to 6 to pick him up. Gave up 2011: 1, 2, and 4; 2012: 1 and 4.

Makes me think we ain't getting it done with the firepower you're presenting.
    Last edited by cjandrze; 01-15-2020 at 03:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yogidriver View Post
    I hear ya Sword, and I agree they need to be better throwing the ball when they have to, not just when they want to.

I don't think they are going to get that much better just in personnel changes or current players improving.

My first question is where do the reps come from? Some of the rushing attempts we have come from pass plays that LJ ends up scrambling. Certainly don't want to hinder that in any way. Take 8-10 attempts away from ingram and Gus??
    Well Lamar himself ran the ball about 10 times per game, and that's excluding kneel downs. I would love to see them continue to bring that number down. Just throwing ideas out there.

The one thing that's been talked about since the weekend is this: Kansas City went down 24 and nobody thought they were out of it. Baltimore went down 14 and people were nervous. Just, in general.

KC has Reid calling plays. He can call a game when he needs to catch up. To the point that having to play catch-up didn't even take them out of their game and neither Reid, nor Mahomes, panicked.

I would say that Hill is better than Brown and I would give Kelce the edge over Andrews (Who was also injured). I don't think that they have a weapon on par with Hurst, that would be just as productive away from Reid and Mahomes. Their other WRs are better than ours, but it's not by some wide margin. It's just a better offense for passing the ball, without needing the run.

Jackson is the least of my concerns. To see the jump he made from year one to year two, I'm confident that he will continue to improve. But it's more than just the QB. You can't just throw a QB out there and expect everything else to work.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

What we need is wide receivers who can make plays besides Hollywood. We had plays out there for the making last week and didn't come through..... It would be nice if Lamar could flow the outs a little bit better of course. That's the only thing that's missing..... But I like what we have right now We need another wide receiver.

The way to break the will of a team like the Titans who have you by the neck is string together several excellent plays and get the momentum back on your side. We just could not do that.....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    That looks great! I'd be ok with that trade.

I just don't see a 20 spot jump in the first without giving up next years 1 as well. I feel like your compensation would get us to 14 or so, which still might land Lamb.

EDIT:

Just checked the 2011 draft to see what the compensation was for Julio. Atlanta went from 27 to 6 to pick him up. Gave up 2011: 1, 2, and 4; 2012: 1 and 4.

Makes me think we ain't getting it done with the firepower you're presenting.
    Throw in Hurst

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    What we need is wide receivers who can make plays besides Hollywood. We had plays out there for the making last week and didn't come through..... It would be nice if Lamar could flow the outs a little bit better of course. That's the only thing that's missing..... But I like what we have right now We need another wide receiver.

The way to break the will of a team like the Titans who have you by the neck is string together several excellent plays and get the momentum back on your side. We just could not do that.....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    It's the Ol' Belichick principal: You're not going to beat us using your bread and butter. If you beat us some other way, so be it, but it won't be doing what you normally do. We're not over thinking this.

Blog Entries

Everything we did in the regular season was fine. We passed as much as we needed to pass and led the league in passing touchdowns doing so. The problem is dealing with adversity and sticking to your identity when doing so. Guys need to rise to the occasion and play their best football in January as well as coach their best without outcoaching themselves trying to be too different.

AJ Green, Sanders, Cooper, Anderson, and Agholor are all UFA.

Cool-ten, I agree with everything you wrote except for your last line (see below)... Bc

2020 1st
    2020 2nd
    2020 4th
    2021 2nd
    Remembering that all draftees are really unknown quantities when they turn pro, there is no way I would trade up that far giving away virtually the entire top of our 2020 draft plus a 2021 2nd. Last year being DeCosta's first as GM, he showed he can lead a successful NFL draft. My confidence in him, and the staff under him, tells me he won't roll-the-dice and trade the farm for a WR no matter how good he looked in college... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Cool-ten, I agree with everything you wrote except for your last line (see below)... Bc

Remembering that all draftees are really unknown quantities when they turn pro, there is no way I would trade up that far giving away virtually the entire top of our 2020 draft plus a 2021 2nd. Last year being DeCosta's first as GM, he showed he can lead a successful NFL draft. My confidence in him, and the staff under him, tells me he won't roll-the-dice and trade the farm for a WR no matter how good he looked in college... Bc
    Jerry Jeudy is the next Jerry Rice. Book it.