Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Lamar - “really freaking good” pocket passer

Quote Originally Posted by Julius486 View Post
    I think two things that aren't getting as much attention but really should were some of the oddities with the routes being run and failures of pass protection. So, with the former, idk if those were the routes being called, or if the receivers were executing badly, but watching the QB school and the articles previous posters have posted, it seems to be a reoccurring thing where depth level on routes were rather bad. Don't really know where/whom to assign blame there. I also felt like watching the game, the interior of the line really struggled (to be fair, I think we might have underrated their D-line, and it seems like the lost of Skura hurt us this game), and the QB school in particular pointed out how the penetration on the first interception really affected the throw/didn't let Lamar step into it.

The more analysis done on the game, for me at least, the more comforted and annoyed I get with it. Comforted in the sense that the flaws we expressed seem very fixable (maturity and growth from Lamar, hopefully...better execution with routes, more talent in the WRs corps), annoyed because we just missed so many damn opportunities, and the most talented team in franchise history and in football is off for the year....
    If you clicked on the link provided in the beginning of the thread it does talk about some of the poor routes that were ran.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreravenous View Post
    I was at the game on Saturday and remember some absolute ropes in to tight windows and also some head scratching misses (throwing 5 yards behind Hollywood on a deep out).

This article does a great job pointing out just how far he’s come as a pocket passer and where his team also let him down...

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/01/nfl...mpression=true
    the article also pointed out that the pass that went 5 yrds behind Brown was a miscommunication where Brown was going to run to the 40 but ran to the 45, hence the 5 yards

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFanMania View Post
    the article also pointed out that the pass that went 5 yrds behind Brown was a miscommunication where Brown was going to run to the 40 but ran to the 45, hence the 5 yards
    100% - sorry, meant to say that when I watched it live, my reaction was “what the actual f*** was that throw”.... after looking at the breakdown, it was hard to blame Lamar for most of them!

Some good analysis with all-22 clips from my man Michael Crawford:

https://twitter.com/abukari/status/1217793882412503040

https://twitter.com/abukari/status/1217794398932676609

Really shows Lamar reading the defense on back to back plays and understanding what they were doing.

This also aligns with JSmoove. They were reading our scrossing routes, but it opened up the seams.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Lamar was erratic.

Our coaches panic and it filteres through the team.

Our team flaws were exposed. Our WRs are.... Well they still suck as a unit. Our defense is soft against the run as it has been and we still falter in clutch situations.

It really was a meltdown
    Lamar wasn't erratic, he was, for the most part brilliant, the coaches ABSOLUTELY stunk up the joint with that "cute" gameplan. They out-thought themselves for sure. The wide receivers are mediocre at best. The defense CERTAINLY must not have been in any clutch situations in those games against the Seahawks, Patriots, 49'ers, Bills, etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Lamar wasn't erratic, he was, for the most part brilliant, the coaches ABSOLUTELY stunk up the joint with that "cute" gameplan. They out-thought themselves for sure. The wide receivers are mediocre at best. The defense CERTAINLY must not have been in any clutch situations in those games against the Seahawks, Patriots, 49'ers, Bills, etc.....
    Ok cmon. Almost everyone agrees the coaches were most to blame, but Lamar was not blameless and certainly not brilliant.

Blog Entries

^^Agreed.

The gameplan philosophy of last year’s team should never boil down to our WRs vs their DBs. That is a losing personnel assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    There's enough info on a handful of these threads that showed Lamar being erratic on a handful of plays. Tennessee baited him well. He wasn't patience. To be clear he played his butt off but he didn't have a good day. There's blame to go all around. My issue are folks who wanted to single him out.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    There's enough info on a handful of these threads that showed Lamar being erratic on a handful of plays. Tennessee baited him well. He wasn't patience. To be clear he played his butt off but he didn't have a good day. There's blame to go all around. My issue are folks who wanted to single him out.
    Agreed.

Imho part of the 'backlash' against Lamar performance in the playoff game is due to the highwater mark of expectation he set during the season. The dude literally achieved a perfect game rating not once but twice this season and he’s also going to be the league MVP so the bar is set high.
    So I get that type of critique. The nuanced play by play critique that I wanted to get into.
    But there is also a lot of Lamar was terrible or Lamar was the reason for the loss that doesn’t make sense to me…….and there is also the ‘oh see he sux’ element floating around that doesn’t really deserve acknowledgement imo.

I’m not the type of fan/layman-arm chair scout that will ever say a game in which a QB threw 2 interceptions and lost 1 fumble was a “good” game, especially if their team lost.
    But I am the type of fan-scout that will object to opinions that I think are factually incorrect.
    I think there is an be an objective threshold for evaluating games.

*CAVEAT* {I am not saying anyone else needs to view it the way I do or that I’m even right.}

But, every QB in almost every game is gonna have a some bad throws, bad reads and bad decisions/awareness. This includes Tom Brady, Pat Mahomes, Drew Bress and Russell Wilson. For me, my standard is did the QB have more of these negative plays then is normal.

And imho Lamar did not play up to his level but he did not have more negative plays then normal for a QB. Unfortunately, with this current passing game a normal game isn’t enough to overcome the personnel and schematic shortcomings. He made some routine plays, he made some plays and he made some great plays. At the end of the say it wasn’t good enough and it sucks. But I don’t get the people that claim that Lamar was terrible or in anyway imply that game was renders his season null and void.

Blog Entries

Who wants to single him out though? I’ve only seen one regular poster place 100% of the blame on him, and one regular poster list him as the #1 reason we lost, a listing he eventually changed.

Outside of a bunch of trolls who have been chopped down with glee by Camden, I certainly haven’t seen any regular and respected posters placing 100% of the blame on Lamar.

Now, I’m not on social media, but television wise and board wise, I’ve seen far more people going over the top to defend him and shoot down criticism, than I have people laying all of the blame with him.

Blog Entries

I think the board has actually been....better on this then i thought. There are some annoying media types too, but even they've been relatively...all right. I gotta say, I was fearing the worst case scenario with off season narratives, but besides some of the usual naysayers, it hasn't been so bad