Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Lamar - “really freaking good” pocket passer

He had some good ones in there, 2 or 3 great ones, but he was definitely erratic.

You can talk about the drops, but JAB is the only one I’ve heard talk about some of those completions that’s honestly weren’t as good of throws as the WRs and TEs made them seem.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Agreed we have our franchise QB
    No doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Lamar was erratic.

Our coaches panic and it filteres through the team.

Our team flaws were exposed. Our WRs are.... Well they still suck as a unit. Our defense is soft against the run as it has been and we still falter in clutch situations.

It really was a meltdown
    They do need to get better at run defense, but the defense wasn’t all that bad in that game. You can look at the final numbers and judge but most of Henry’s yards came off of 3 big runs and in situations where the offense turned the ball over in some way and they were playing over aggressive to stop it. There were also plays where we blew Henry up in the backfield or held him to short yardage.

Tennessee’s offense really only put together one long drive and that was after we failed on 4th down inside their 35 I believe and they punted a bunch of times.

I just think that the numbers don’t tell the whole story of that game and that the Ravens did essentially everything they could do to shoot themselves in the foot

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    He had some good ones in there, 2 or 3 great ones, but he was definitely erratic.
    Agreed. The QB School vid really, really nails that down: esp the erratic decision-making.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    You can talk about the drops, but JAB is the only one I’ve heard talk about some of those completions that’s honestly weren’t as good of throws as the WRs and TEs made them seem.
    Where does JAB talk about that? It isn't this thread.

I don't remember a single play from Saturday where the pass-catchers really helped out Lamar, except for the one-hander by Marquise down the right sideline. And honestly that was a play where the catch was only AS brilliant as the throw; not MORE brilliant. QB School examines it as play #9 in their vid (linked in this post). Ridiculous catch off a ridiculous throw.

Ex, it's hard not to be super suspicious of you. I think you're crafting a narrative that the Ravens didn't give enough pass attempts on the season to Lamar and the receivers, and thus they weren't ready for the big game. And you're grasping for any evidence that might tend to support that contention. I think in your mind, the idea that Lamar was not sharp and the pass-catchers bailed him out numerous times, would count as that kind of evidence.

So first off, I doubt that there is any such evidence. Please show me JAB's post.

And second off, the major problem with that narrative is, Lamar made high-level genius throws in the game. He played hyper and made some bad reads that look like he was pressing & anxious, not playing within the system. But this wasn't limited to the passing game; was also visible on running plays, for example the first failed 4th-down conversion. I know you don't think a "lack of reps" was the problem with Lamar in the running game.

Lamar completed 31 of 59 for 365 yds; AND his receivers dropped 6 passes and had 8 broken up by defenders. (Adoree Jaxon played out of his goddam mind Saturday.) That 52.5% goes to 63% without drops, and 76% without the drops or PDs. That's 76% accuracy in terms of Lamar putting the ball ON his receiver; and we could go higher if we added in a couple bad routes by receivers.

That's pretty sharp, for a guy who was pressing and choking, and didn't have enough reps in the passing game for the season as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    No arguments from me. He definitely threw some dimes out there and will get better. A poster from another thread said Josh Harris was on 105.7 the fan today and said he's planning to work with Lamar in the off season on driving the ball on the out routes. Good to hear.
    I've been impressed the 3 times I've heard Joshua Harris talk with 105.7 The Fan. He doesn't oversell Lamar or himself. He's knowledgeable. He knows what Lamar needs to work on, and what he does well.

Some things I remember him saying about Lamar:

1. If he wants Lamar to do something perfectly, Harris just needs to say "No way you can do that.." and Lamar crushes it every time.
    2. Harris has given up on Lamar not having his pinky on the nose of the ball. Harris laughed while saying that.
    3. He has a hard time getting Lamar getting to agree that any individual thing (MVP, Pro Bowl, yardage marks) should be his goal because Lamar is so team oriented.

Lol sword got outed

*grabs popcorn*
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Someone call 911 because JimZipcode is on fire
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    I've been impressed the 3 times I've heard Joshua Harris talk with 105.7 The Fan. He doesn't oversell Lamar or himself. He's knowledgeable. He knows what Lamar needs to work on, and what he does well.

Some things I remember him saying about Lamar:

1. If he wants Lamar to do something perfectly, Harris just needs to say "No way you can do that.." and Lamar crushes it every time.
    2. Harris has given up on Lamar not having his pinky on the nose of the ball. Harris laughed while saying that.
    3. He has a hard time getting Lamar getting to agree that any individual thing (MVP, Pro Bowl, yardage marks) should be his goal because Lamar is so team oriented.
    Nice. Thanks for sharing!!
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Blog Entries

Jim's not on anything. This is what Jim does. He makes broad assumptions that puts far more into what I'm saying, than I'm actually trying to say. Then, leaves it up to me, to defend myself against his assertions. Much like his tendency to cut off portions of people's posts, to emphasize one part that, without the rest, makes the post sound very different. I'm not paying him much mind.

All I was talking about, in that post he quoted, was Saturday's game. He's decided to take that, and automatically lump it with another thread I started about a different issue.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I think two things that aren't getting as much attention but really should were some of the oddities with the routes being run and failures of pass protection. So, with the former, idk if those were the routes being called, or if the receivers were executing badly, but watching the QB school and the articles previous posters have posted, it seems to be a reoccurring thing where depth level on routes were rather bad. Don't really know where/whom to assign blame there. I also felt like watching the game, the interior of the line really struggled (to be fair, I think we might have underrated their D-line, and it seems like the lost of Skura hurt us this game), and the QB school in particular pointed out how the penetration on the first interception really affected the throw/didn't let Lamar step into it.

The more analysis done on the game, for me at least, the more comforted and annoyed I get with it. Comforted in the sense that the flaws we expressed seem very fixable (maturity and growth from Lamar, hopefully...better execution with routes, more talent in the WRs corps), annoyed because we just missed so many damn opportunities, and the most talented team in franchise history and in football is off for the year....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Julius486 View Post
    I think two things that aren't getting as much attention but really should were some of the oddities with the routes being run and failures of pass protection. So, with the former, idk if those were the routes being called, or if the receivers were executing badly, but watching the QB school and the articles previous posters have posted, it seems to be a reoccurring thing where depth level on routes were rather bad. Don't really know where/whom to assign blame there. I also felt like watching the game, the interior of the line really struggled (to be fair, I think we might have underrated their D-line, and it seems like the lost of Skura hurt us this game), and the QB school in particular pointed out how the penetration on the first interception really affected the throw/didn't let Lamar step into it.

The more analysis done on the game, for me at least, the more comforted and annoyed I get with it. Comforted in the sense that the flaws we expressed seem very fixable (maturity and growth from Lamar, hopefully...better execution with routes, more talent in the WRs corps), annoyed because we just missed so many damn opportunities, and the most talented team in franchise history and in football is off for the year....
    None of the WRs were consistent with proper depth on their route. One play, Roberts catches the pass, after not running his route deep enough. Another play, he runs his route at a good depth, but Brown doesn't. Another play, Snead surprising doesn't run his route at the best depth.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore