Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

How best to spend our cap room!

According to https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/cap/ we have $34.7m in cap space before accounting for the draft class which will eat up approx $6m, reducing the number to approx $29mil. Cutting Tony Jefferson adds $7m to the cap for a whopping total of $36m in max spending.

EDC will have some money to play with, but signing a premier pass rusher will no doubt take 50-55% of that amount.
    What are your priorities and how would you spend the cap space?
    Player Cap Hit Salary Estimate.
    Matt Skura $3m 1 yr/$3.1m RFA Tender
    Matt Judon $18m 1 yr/$18 Franchise Tag or equivalent extension with lower cap charge
    Brandon Carr $7m 1 yr/$7m - picking up his option

Making only these 3 moves leaves us with $8m in room. Do we bring back any other UFAs? Jimmy Smith perhaps? How expensive is Michael Pierce? Who do we target from other teams with the remaining dollars? There's no money for a #1 WR. Pass Rush is going to take the bulk of it. Unless you want our pass rush to dwindle to Ferguson and Bowser. Who's out there that can either stop the run or keep our offense on the field when it matters?

Re: How best to spend our cap room!

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Stovall View Post
    According to https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/cap/ we have $34.7m in cap space before accounting for the draft class which will eat up approx $6m, reducing the number to approx $29mil. Cutting Tony Jefferson adds $7m to the cap for a whopping total of $36m in max spending.

EDC will have some money to play with, but signing a premier pass rusher will no doubt take 50-55% of that amount.
    What are your priorities and how would you spend the cap space?
    Player Cap Hit Salary Estimate.
    Matt Skura $3m 1 yr/$3.1m RFA Tender
    Matt Judon $18m 1 yr/$18 Franchise Tag or equivalent extension with lower cap charge
    Brandon Carr $7m 1 yr/$7m - picking up his option

Making only these 3 moves leaves us with $8m in room. Do we bring back any other UFAs? Jimmy Smith perhaps? How expensive is Michael Pierce? Who do we target from other teams with the remaining dollars? There's no money for a #1 WR. Pass Rush is going to take the bulk of it. Unless you want our pass rush to dwindle to Ferguson and Bowser. Who's out there that can either stop the run or keep our offense on the field when it matters?
    Those numbers aren't correct and taking into account about 9 future/reserve players we just signed a few days ago.

Check out this thread...

https://forum.russellstreetreport.co...-players-added

And while I do use overthecap, the real cap situation is on this very board by our own Brian McFarland (scroll down when going to look at this link)...

https://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Rule of thumb. Always use the numbers produced by our very own capologist Brian McFarland.
    $30m + in cap space is not a lot relative to what it will cost to retain a few free agents or go after pending ones but it's certainly our best position in years.

Have to start with Judon and then let the chips fall where they may.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

With Tavon Young and Deshon Elliott coming back they need to cut Jefferson and Carr to free up some space. Kinda bummed looking at that cap number I thought they would have at least $45M in cap space before they cut anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    With Tavon Young and Deshon Elliott coming back they need to cut Jefferson and Carr to free up some space. Kinda bummed looking at that cap number I thought they would have at least $45M in cap space before they cut anyone.
    That would have been the case a month ago before the Peters extension.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Coaches that have a clue in the playoffs?

Bring Bethel back.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Those numbers aren't correct and taking into account about 9 future/reserve players we just signed a few days ago.

Check out this thread...

https://forum.russellstreetreport.co...-players-added

And while I do use overthecap, the real cap situation is on this very board by our own Brian McFarland (scroll down when going to look at this link)...

https://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/
    Thank you for correcting my math. I wasn't claiming to be a capologist. I was asking people how they would go about filling out a roster with approximately $30m to spend. You didn't even address the question.

I'm curious to see how Ravens fans would prioritize those precious cap dollars, as $30,000,000 doesn't stretch as far as it used to in unrestricted free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenIsh View Post
    Bring Bethel back.
    For what - special teams? Crowded enough in the secondary as is.

I’m so torn over if they should pay Judon or not.

He’s going to be asking for premier pass rusher money. He had a nice season, but is he worth it? Ferguson at this point isn’t a suitable replacement, so what do they do?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepercreepermd View Post
    I’m so torn over if they should pay Judon or not.

He’s going to be asking for premier pass rusher money. He had a nice season, but is he worth it? Ferguson at this point isn’t a suitable replacement, so what do they do?
    Gotta pay Judon. That's priority #1 to me. He's a better player today than Z. Smith was when he left.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Blog Entries

"Matt Skura $3m 1 yr/$3.1m RFA Tender"

J S, I really like Skura, but his injury seems (I'm no medical man) extensive. Perhaps, since we already have Mekari, the Ravens will give him an "injury settlement" and move on... Bc