Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Special teams

Blog Entries

Re: Special teams

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    We need to actually get Horton some players that can be relied upon. He wasn't working with much here.
    That's not how Harbaugh's teams have always done it. Special teams (I almost typed "special-needs teams" there) are for the most part populated by the bottom end of the roster. These are draftees/UDFAs who are depth for O/D skill positions while they spend 1-2 years learning enough to step in as a starter. During that process they are supposed to learn ST play in order to justify their roster spot.

Rosburg was very, very good at this for many years. Based on the past season's play, Horton sucks at it.

I hope Bisciotti holds Harbaugh's feet to the fire on this, e.g.:

Special teams were a dumpster fire in 2019-20. You coached ST for many years. Explain to me why you think Horton will be any better at this next season. Because if you can't, we need to find someone who will be.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    We all talk about needing a pass rusher, #1 WR, linebacker, etc. But OP is right, how about a returner! In 2000 we had Jermaine Lewis and in 2012 it was Jacoby Jones. Both they guys won games on returns alone. Stop making Lamar drive 80 yards. Field position was a real issue versus the Titans.

Nice post OP.
    This. We need to sign/draft a returner that can get us a short field and a threat to take it to the house.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenIsh View Post
    This. We need to sign/draft a returner that can get us a short field and a threat to take it to the house.
    Say it with me. KJ Hamler

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

One guy I would definitely be considering for ST is Antoine Winfield Jr.

Winfield is great on defense, he's definitely been a playmaker both against the pass and run, but he's also played a ton of ST and has been a reliable punt returner. Just a really great defensive player that can do a ton on ST as a bonus. Really like this player.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    That's not how Harbaugh's teams have always done it. Special teams (I almost typed "special-needs teams" there) are for the most part populated by the bottom end of the roster. These are draftees/UDFAs who are depth for O/D skill positions while they spend 1-2 years learning enough to step in as a starter. During that process they are supposed to learn ST play in order to justify their roster spot.

Rosburg was very, very good at this for many years. Based on the past season's play, Horton sucks at it.

I hope Bisciotti holds Harbaugh's feet to the fire on this, e.g.:

Special teams were a dumpster fire in 2019-20. You coached ST for many years. Explain to me why you think Horton will be any better at this next season. Because if you can't, we need to find someone who will be.
    I mean, we had guys on the roster that (though they played limited snaps on O and D) were on this roster just for special teams in the Rosburg years. And they were good too! Albert McClellan really made our ST a lot better in my opinion, for example. Levine is also great. Chris Moore is great, and they're on the roster now. But I think the weaknesses of this ST unit is punt protection and return coverage. Oh and the returner himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    One guy I would definitely be considering for ST is Antoine Winfield Jr.

Winfield is great on defense, he's definitely been a playmaker both against the pass and run, but he's also played a ton of ST and has been a reliable punt returner. Just a really great defensive player that can do a ton on ST as a bonus. Really like this player.
    Is his dad Antoine Winfield from the Vikings?

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Is his dad Antoine Winfield from the Vikings?
    Yes I believe so.

For several years we had one of the oldest teams in the league. We are rapidly becoming one of the youngest. This is especially true at the back end of the roster. We have drafted 20 players in the last two years, along with keeping our streak of at least one UDFA making the roster every year.

For a lot of years, the ST corps had veterans all over the place -- guys like Anthony Allen, Albert McClellan, Jameel McLain, Sean Considine, Jeromy Miles, etc. When young guys came in (like Asa Jackson, Buck Allen) there were veteran special teamers already in place to teach them.

Now, apart from Co-Cap, there just is a much heavier percentage of young guys. And many young guys -- even 7th round picks -- were studs on their college teams and never had to play ST. I honestly think that is the biggest factor. It's great to have a young team, but there are definitely growing pains, and these probably show up in ST more than anywhere else, simply because players are doing things they have never done before.

EDIT: I do agree we need a decent returner. We haven't had one of those in a while. But back in the Jacoby days, some of his returns, Anthony Allen ran as lead blocker and even HE was never touched. Jacoby was great, but those return teams were amazing, setting up blocks, opening their lanes, staying on their man, and not getting penalties. One guy messing up kills a return even if it's prime Devin Hester back there.
    "Chin up, chest out."