Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Special teams

Re: Special teams

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I think Horton deserves another year, but it has to look significantly better.

I mean, we didn't help him out at all. We just assumed he could work Rosburg level magic. We cut Bethel, we moved on from McClellan the year before, we had inconsistencies at returner. We might lose Levine in this offseason. We need to actually get Horton some players that can be relied upon. He wasn't working with much here.
    I wonder if Slater from the Patriots is a free agent?

They definitely need to improve dramatically at returner. The game has changed as far as kickoff returns go but they still need someone more explosive and better with decisions there. And also punt returns which haven't changed, i cant remember the last time they had a great punt return much less a td from one

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensforce83 View Post
    They definitely need to improve dramatically at returner. The game has changed as far as kickoff returns go but they still need someone more explosive and better with decisions there. And also punt returns which haven't changed, i cant remember the last time they had a great punt return much less a td from one
    I just want someone who can reliably get us to the 25. Anything else is a bonus.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Blog Entries

It's something that needs to be improved. I'd find it highly unlikely Horton is canned after one year as it doesn't seem to be the way Harbaugh generally does things, so you have to hope he grows as a coach from year to year.

At the same time - penalties, poor decisions by the return guys, fumbles, etc., these are not on Horton. I don't know if there is a more aggravating penalty in the NFL than seeing your team get called for block in the back (because it should really be the easiest penalty to avoid) and we seem to have at least 1 every week - and 9 times out of 10, the friggin' block doesn't even help them get a bigger return, lol. This is a problem with the players on the field, not the coach.

Definitely need to upgrade at return guy. It'd be nice if it was someone who could contribute on O or D too, but the team has shown they'll carry a dude even if he doesn't. Just find the best guy in college at KR/PR (moreso PR), and if it will translate to the NFL, draft that guy.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Too many dumb penalties and absolutely must get a new returner. That's the extent of the issues on ST for me.

Generally with this offense, the new rules and their kicker, the coverage units aren't getting much work and should be a lower investment. The only caveat with that is Chris Moore is a pretty good gunner, would be nice to retain him.

Blog Entries

We all talk about needing a pass rusher, #1 WR, linebacker, etc. But OP is right, how about a returner! In 2000 we had Jermaine Lewis and in 2012 it was Jacoby Jones. Both they guys won games on returns alone. Stop making Lamar drive 80 yards. Field position was a real issue versus the Titans.

Nice post OP.

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    Too many dumb penalties and absolutely must get a new returner. That's the extent of the issues on ST for me.

Generally with this offense, the new rules and their kicker, the coverage units aren't getting much work and should be a lower investment. The only caveat with that is Chris Moore is a pretty good gunner, would be nice to retain him.
    I'm wondering if that's part of it though. They also get a lot fewer game reps now.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

8. Re: Special teams

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensforce83 View Post
    Cyrus ran a punt back for a TD against the Raiders in 2018. He also had a nice return in the Chiefs game last year.

The Ravens forced 70 punts this season. 18 were fair caught. 14 were downed without a return. 8 were touchbacks. 5 went out of bounds. That leaves 25 punts that were returned. The Ravens gained 206 yards on those returns (Jones had 12 for 113, Thomas had 13 for 93).

The Ravens also had 27 KO returns. Count me as someone who is willing to cut our losses and give up those 52 plays, saving the roster spot for another player (that is, don't have a De'Anthony Thomas on the roster).
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

9. Re: Special teams

Penalty wise, ST really took a shit at the end of the season. 12 of the 24 penalties (3 against TEN) came in the final 5 games. To be fair, 4 came in the season-ending slopfest against PIT, and 3 came on TNF.

Levine had 5 penalties (but I bet he also played the most ST snaps). Thomas had 3 in far fewer snaps. Clark and Fort each had 2. 4 of the penalties were not on any particular player: 2 delays of game, 1 illegal formation on a kickoff (so this is probably on a player, but it wasn't announced), and (defensive) too many men on a FG attempt.

This reminds me that 2 of the penalties on TNF appeared to be intentional (back-to-back delay of game and false start).
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    Cyrus ran a punt back for a TD against the Raiders in 2018. He also had a nice return in the Chiefs game last year.

The Ravens forced 70 punts this season. 18 were fair caught. 14 were downed without a return. 8 were touchbacks. 5 went out of bounds. That leaves 25 punts that were returned. The Ravens gained 206 yards on those returns (Jones had 12 for 113, Thomas had 13 for 93).

The Ravens also had 27 KO returns. Count me as someone who is willing to cut our losses and give up those 52 plays, saving the roster spot for another player (that is, don't have a De'Anthony Thomas on the roster).
    Thanks for the info!

After that great game ST had against the Steelers in that first game, they absolutely went to shit.

No return game, no coverage, and bunch of stupid penalties. Tennessee dominated the field position game and it wasn't good for us pretty much all year.

Bottom of our draft needs to be for a bunch of guys who project well at special teams. I also hope we can get Bethel back...that really sucked after he left and an already mediocre special teams got noticeably worse IMHO after we cut him.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    It's something that needs to be improved. I'd find it highly unlikely Horton is canned after one year as it doesn't seem to be the way Harbaugh generally does things, so you have to hope he grows as a coach from year to year.

At the same time - penalties, poor decisions by the return guys, fumbles, etc., these are not on Horton. I don't know if there is a more aggravating penalty in the NFL than seeing your team get called for block in the back (because it should really be the easiest penalty to avoid) and we seem to have at least 1 every week - and 9 times out of 10, the friggin' block doesn't even help them get a bigger return, lol. This is a problem with the players on the field, not the coach.

Definitely need to upgrade at return guy. It'd be nice if it was someone who could contribute on O or D too, but the team has shown they'll carry a dude even if he doesn't. Just find the best guy in college at KR/PR (moreso PR), and if it will translate to the NFL, draft that guy.
    waller :)