Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Lamar in Rewatch of Ravens-Titans

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    they're in quarters not cover-2. all the DB's drop to the same depth. that route is designed to beat quarters.
    Correct - I wasn’t clear. The safety on that side initially opens his hips indicating a cover two look. With Inside/Outside read progression (Boykin —> Andrews) you read the safety.

Defense was actually a flat zone with safety dropping to cover shallow routes; Andrews was 100% the wrong read but it was a combination of a well disguised coverage, great baiting by the safety, and the exact wrong progression/scheme design to counter it.

Had the safety immediately ran towards his Zone, it would have been a different story.... it was Ed Reed-esque or, for a more recent example, Marcus Peters esque.

Blog Entries

The Titans really did have a good gameplan. As Harbaugh said, they didn’t reinvent football. They clogged the middle with mainly zones, forced Lamar toward the sideline on his runs, as Shannon Sharpe would say, using the sideline as an extra defender. They forced the throws to the boundary.

Occasionally, they switched to man across the board, and it felt like most of the Ravens big plays were against man. Lamar had two big runs that I remember. However, I think the Titans were willing to live with that. Their primary goal was to keep Lamar guessing and it worked. Had they just gone zone all game, someone who reads the field as well as Lamar does for such a young QB, may have eventually figured it out and the coaches may have as well. So, that was the sacrifice they made for the greater good. Well, theirs at least.

The Ravens did outgain the Titans overall, but the gap didn’t widen until Tennessee put the game out of reach near the end of the third. Suddenly, they started allowing more space in the middle of the field and pushing routes that way, instead of the boundary. Just to make sure they made the tackle in bounds and kept the clock running. That’s why the yardage is very misleading.

Blog Entries

Sideline PBU

Blog Entries

PBU?

Blog Entries

?

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Miss

Blog Entries

Who's the guy in the inset in these vids, giving commentary that we can't hear?

Edgar Allen looks at five throws vs the Titans:

• Lamar fails to see Marquise in the middle of the field, throws it away
    • Seth Roberts & Lamar miscommunicate, almost hook up on a great throw (I think Seth may have been right)
    • Roberts just drops a lovely, lovely deep throw
    • The first INT; Edgar puts most of it on Lamar for not placing the ball in the right location, and I agree
    • A beautiful completion to Roberts on a deep crosser on 3rd-&-10

Great stuff from Edgar, as yoozh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Who's the guy in the inset in these vids, giving commentary that we can't hear?
    Some youtube dude, that posed the vid. I watch on mute.

btw-I disagree with a lot of JT opinions from his vid. Even starting with the 1st interceptions. Lamar throws that ball high because he has to throw over the LB that is spying in the throwing lane. When it comes to anticipation throws, if we're defining anticipation as when the QB releases the ball prior to the receivers break or prior to the receiver being open then we clearly saw those throws throughout the course of the game. An easy counter example is the throw to Hurst that hit off his chest. Or the sideline throw to Andrews when Lamar missed the Boykin on the deep post. And some of Lamar's misses were because he had to wait on receivers that were running questionable routes.