Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Lamar in Rewatch of Ravens-Titans

Isnt this the same guy that blocks anyone that questions anything he says?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Isnt this the same guy that blocks anyone that questions anything he says?

I read in his feed that he was liberal with blocks. So: maybe? He seems like he could be a truculent motherfucker. Maybe moreso 5+ yrs ago, I'd bet.

He was let go from ESPN (and regular appearances on Dan LeBatard) some years ago, for some reason. I should look it up: but I gather it was some unruly behavior in a bar. Which also seems like it might be on-brand.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Ex, I meant to ask this in relation to your comments on 2nd & 4th gifs – were the Titans "squeezing" the options to play them inside-out? Give Lamar a "keep" read, and then immediately bounce out with him?

That would explain the low number of RB carries + high number of QB carries. Normal play-calling, but the read dictated by the D on the field leads to the skewed number of carries.
    That's what I would have done if I were them. Make his keys wrong off specific defensive play calls. Maybe Mariota was helpful in prep....

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Hee:

How to Talk to a Lamar Jackson Hater (if You Absolutely Must)
    by Mike Tanier – Jan 13, 2020
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...al-four#slide5

Bonus glimpse at the future for the 4 eliminated teams:
    Argument - Lamar can't sneak

Answer - [IMHO] OK, you kind of got me there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I mean, they didn’t make Tennessee back up their safeties. They didn’t make Tennessee stop pushing WR routed toward the sideline. They couldn’t even get push up front on fourth and one.
    Yes I think you're correct to make these points They got physically whipped up front... They never managed to get the momentum turned around that really was the problem It's all about energy. The way to turn around the momentum the game like this is for you wide receivers to make some big plays and stream them together. It never happened

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Yes I think you're correct to make these points They got physically whipped up front... They never managed to get the momentum turned around that really was the problem It's all about energy. The way to turn around the momentum the game like this is for you wide receivers to make some big plays and stream them together. It never happened

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Would I have liked to see them try to give Edwards more carries? Yes. With how much they struggled throwing on first down, they still ended up in an absurd amount of 2nd and 10s, at least it seemed. However, being honest, I just didn't see them escaping the same reality you and I addressed.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Basically I thought Lamar tried to do too much himself. I think the sting of last years game still burns, and he tried to do too much. That's not meant as a big criticism, I just think they collectively panicked when they got down, went away from what got them there, started chucking it deep, and Lamar kept running keepers trying to do it all himself. In his defense, he didn't get much help from his WRs, his o-line, defense, or much of anyone else. It was a total team loss. We just have to hope they grow from this and EDC finds some more playmakers on both sides of the ball in FA and the draft.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

8. Re: Lamar in Rewatch of Ravens-Titans

The fucked-up thing is, we were up around 6.4 ypc for the game. Lamar & Gus were at 7 between them. It's not like the run game wasn't working. But we got cute on 4th down, had crippling spec teams penalties and killer drops. Suddenly you're down multiple TDs, and the running game has to go out the window.
    Don't let Lamar scrambling + Q4 stats fool you. The run game was not great.

possession quarter type Snaps Yards YPP
    BLT
    scramble
    BLT
    run
    BLT
    scramble
    BLT
    run
    BLT
    scramble
    BLT
    run
    BLT
    scramble
    BLT
    run
    BLT
    Total
    scramble
    BLT
    Total
    run

Ignoring Q4:

possession quarter type Snaps Yards YPP
    BLT
    1-3
    scramble
    BLT
    1-3
    run
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    Don't let Lamar scrambling + Q4 stats fool you.
    Too late!

JT O'Sullivan did a 40 minute breakdown of Lamar's film - he is always very informative and fair.

Blog Entries

What's wrong with:

21-106-5.05

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    JT O'Sullivan did a 40 minute breakdown of Lamar's film - he is always very informative and fair.

A few things he notices:

Generally, the Titans did similar things that seemed to work for Cleveland early in their game. They would bring guys up to the line, Lamar wasn't sure who was coming, and he wasn't consistently finding his hots. Generally he was playing too fast and not letting the game come to him. Down and distance allowed corners to sit on a lot of routes and Hollywood's route running wasn't precise enough to get open on a lot of the out routes they were throwing. Lamar wasn't throwing with anticipation throughout.

1. INT #1 to Andrews he points out Mekari's indecision on the double team allowed DT to get in on Lamar, which affected the throw.

2. Lamar missed a potential TD to Boykin on a scissors concept when he threw to Andrews on an out for 10 yards. The route was designed to beat quarters and go to Boykin for a TD, and he was open, but JT said it was the first sign that Lamar was playing too fast and not taking time to read the field.

3. First 4th down stop - He hates the play design with Gus in the backfield on the keeper. If they're going to have a RB on the field, at least do something with him, either fake it to him or motion him out to pull another guy out of the box. Lamar didn't follow the guard and instead tried to split two double teams, one of which (Zeus and Yanda) was stalemated and affected the play. On the other double team (Stanley and Boyle) Stanley explodes from the wrong foot, likely because he doesn't play on the right side very often. They don't move their guy either. Lamar should have just followed the guard but he tried to get it himself, which works a lot but it didn't there.

4. Throw to Seth Roberts was beautiful and simply a drop. Gotta catch it.

5. During two minute drill Lamar threw an out to Hollywood when the play design had Hurst running up the seam untouched. JT thought it was another example of Lamar playing too fast and pre-determining where he was going to throw. The corner sat on the out and Hollywood didn't run a good route.

6. On the strip sack, he just has to get rid of the ball. He didn't like the play design having Ingram chip the rusher, because he basically pushed him to the right side of Stanley and it allowed him to get by him.

7. 2nd INT: Titans knew the quick out was coming. Lamar threw the out behind the wide receiver and he didn't seem to recognize they were baiting him with a cover-2 look. He had a guy hot but didn't make the call/recognize it.

8. Two point conversion play: He hates the play call. Titans knew the rub was coming the entire way and it left him with no options but a jump ball. Same play we have run many times and Titans knew it. He would have run the ball.
    Last edited by s.r.genovese; 01-14-2020 at 05:22 PM.