Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Lamar in Rewatch of Ravens-Titans

Oh hell no, not ME! I don't have the stomach to re-watch that damn game.

But Cian Fahey tweeted some screen-grabs and gifs during the game, and followed up yesterday with some more gifs and play descriptions. We can re-watch with him!

I find Fahey fascinating. To me he illustrates a phenomenon, where a person's greatest strength is also their greatest weakness. What makes Fahey compelling as an analyst is,

1. he examines the tape VERY closely.
    2. he *ONLY* goes off of what he sees on the tape.
    3. he does not give a FUUUUUUUUUCK what you or anyone else thinks.

He's based in Ireland, so it's easier for him to remain uneffected by whatever was said on First Take or Good Morning Football or whatever.

It's a great strength: you can get insights from him that you find nowhere else. And it's a great weakness: because he doesn't cross-check against other sources or listen to what talkings heads say, about 5% of the time he's way off-base with something, because he just missed a piece of news that everyone else knows.

Here's a potential example of what I mean about Fahey being way off-base ~5% of the time. During the game, Fahey suddenly started hammering Wink:

Blitzing like crazy. Martindale is killing them [he means killing the Ravens!].
    Martindale is doing the exact opposite of what Belichick did and guess what...
    Martindale sells out to give up the lead and now Roman will go away from the run game. This game is following the perfect blueprint for Tennessee to upset.
    Martindale having Earl Thomas covering the RB in the flat on that deep shot TD is amazing incompetence. Just having Earl back there makes QBs nervous, why rotate him down to do the job any DB can do?
    Martindale isn't a DC who adjusts to his opponent. He does what he wants to do all the time.
    Harbaugh is great at self scouting. I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if Martindale was let go. He’s been a problem all year imo.
    Talk about an unexpected take!

You know & I know that Harbs & DeCosta built a defensive squad this year that is genius in the secondary, and horribly short-handed on the pass-rush. Fahey might not know it, because he doesn't give a FUUUUUUUUUCK what the talking heads think, esp in their presesaon prognositcations: he *ONLY* goes off of what he sees on the tape. It's a great strength and a great weakness.

I say this is a "potential" example because, the damn thing about Fahey is that you never know for sure WHICH fucked-up-sounding thing he says is actually the crazy wrong one. For years he said that Tannehill was primed for a breakout if he could get away from the situation in Miami. I thought he was full of shit; but that take looks pretty decent today. I love Wink; but I'm at only about 60% confidence that Fahey is wrong here.

So anyway: Fahey's a little crazy, but he's also goddam brilliant. Can never just blow off what he says, because there's always some basis to it on tape, even if he doesn't have the whole story. I'm sure he'll have some interesting insights on Lamar's play in this game.

Let's re-watch Lamar play in Ravens vs Titans, with Fahey!
    Last edited by JimZipCode; 01-14-2020 at 12:57 AM. Reason: typo

Re: Lamar in Rewatch of Ravens-Titans

I'm going to insert some commentary of my own. Everything from Fahey is in a quote-box. Everything outside of a quote-box, is me adding something.

This is the Ravens 1st pass attempt of the game, their 4th play from scrimmage. 2nd-&-10, Lamar passes to the left sideline to Mandrews, pushed OOB for a gain of 12.

TD in the middle of the field. Lamar didn't see it.

Miles Boykin lined up just outside the left hash. He runs straight up the hash and breaks inside (right), WIDE OPEN, just as Lamar releases the pass to the left sideline to Andrews.

We've seen this off-&-on all season: Lamar forcing a ball to Mandrews when another receiver (esp Boykin) is open. Would have changed the game to hit this one right off the bat.

Don't complicate it Roman, this is what you can do all game.

Commentator called this throwing into a void in the coverage – bruh stop, this is a ridiculous throw.

Sunday night:

Anyway, as Monday approaches, this thread is here for y’all who are dumb enough to engage the Lamar Jackson haters.

I think he means me. I'm dumb enough to engage.

As was the case against the Chiefs in the regular season, Roman went away from the RPO running plays far too easily. With Ingram banged up they should have put Edwards in and worked these plays.

Hitting the deep out for the first down on Second-and-10.

Titans rush contain so there are no scrambling opportunities. Jackson's first read isn't there so he resets in the pocket then eventually connects with Snead.

This is the play that sets up the il-advised Fourth-and-1 failure. Snead's route is just not deep enough. Titans have good play called to contain crossing route over middle and let outside DBs not commit to inside releases:

DaQuan Jones is #90 in the middle here. He shuts down any chance Jackson has on this play because he absorbs the double team and doesn't give ground. That combined with play design having Gus Edwards not involved leads to failure on Fourth-and-1.

This is a *great* throw and because the deep DB goes for the interception instead of the receiver, Roberts is dropping a 74-yard touchdown here.

Excellent footwork to step into and then through the pocket, converting Third-and-10 with patience and eye discipline.

Again, this is a high-end throw into a tiny window to convert third down.

https://twitter.com/Cianaf/status/1216353710323924994
    At 14-0, Willie Snead drops this on Third-and-12. The Ravens kick a field goal. I assume they'd have gone for it on fourth down if Snead caught this. He should have. Ball is slightly behind but on his body.

Third-and-16. Jackson steps into the pocket, holds DB and hits deep crosser for big gain. But this drive started on their own five-yard line because of a special teams penalty, something that proved an issue all night.

The intelligence and timing of this throw is exceptional. The physical throw itself is perfect. Another high-end play.

That was the same clip as toward the top of this post, “Commentator called this throwing into a void in the coverage – bruh stop, this is a ridiculous throw.”

A ridiculous throw. The clock kept the Ravens out of the endzone here, which is why that special teams penalty was massive.

I'm only at the end of the second quarter and Lamar has made four elite level passing plays.

Titans went to a three-man rush and dropped a DT into coverage. Lamar recognized it and reset in the pocket, let route develop then hit it.
    Titans try to bait Lamar into a quick throw outside. He recognizes it, comes off his first read, lets the route develop then converts for the third down. Processing from the pocket.

Those two tweets are referring to the same gif.

Logan Ryan does a good job here but Titans barely prevent Lamar from running in the 57-yard TD. Ryan can just barely trip up his foot from behind. These are the tiny margins that repeatedly went the Titans way.

Hurst drops TD:

Postgame:

This is a whole team problem today. QB hasn't been bad.

Steve Bruss:
    Lamar hasn't been bad?
    Tom Gower
    Through 45 minutes, the Ravens' BEST starting field position is their own 26. Zero non-long fields.
    This is a big reason why Lamar has been better than you think. He's moved the ball a long way a lot of the time, but hard to score consistently like this with drops.

Lamar just played the most Jameis Winston of games.
    508 yards and three turnovers.

This would have Been Baker Mayfield's best game of the season, tbh.

This was very similar to Patrick Mahomes' performance against the Rams in that famous KC-LAR game two years ago. Plenty of high-end plays, too many negative plays. Chiefs scored a lot more points as a team obviously.

Today Cris Collinsworth was on tv lavishing praise on Kirk Cousins for proving to everyone that he could actually show up in a big game while he was in fact not showing up in a big game. Not a single word will be said about Cousins on the talking head shows this week.

Compare and contrast the Cousins versus Lamar coverage this week, then come back and tell us how these QBs are all held to the same standard.

The Wink stuff is interesting but I also think with our talent it’s really the only way we could play and be successful. We don’t have they guys to play cover 2 all day and we don’t have any horses who can get pressure on their own. It didn’t work but I don’t think playing another way would have worked either.

Wink did a fine job all things considered. He lost a bunch of starters that weren’t replaced aside from bringing in ET. He made it work on the fly with street free agents in early October, and Peters was inserted seamlessly into the defense late in the season. Peko, Ellis, Ward, Fort, Bynes....He got something out of all of them as late arrivals. Maybe the position coaches deserve more of that credit, but Wink wasn’t flush with all kinds of talent on this defense at the beginning of the season. He hardly deserves to be fired he actually overachieved with this group.

Thanks for posting this. It's making me feel better about next year.

And no way would I fire Wink. Vs. Titans wasn't his best game but all season long he made chicken salad out of proverbial chicken shiznit.

He shouldn't be blitzing Earl Thomas ever (Also a Seahawks fan). He's a pure cover 3 safety and very good at it. Wink has been trying to get ET his first sack all season. It's a ridiculous thing to chase. Leave Earl covering up top to keep bottom feeder QBs honest.

I agree with this. Even in interviews Earl would say how hes trying to get comfortable with the multitudes of what his new role was with this team. He’s a veteran and an all pro at what he’s done his whole career. Think it’s a disservice trying to make him do things he’s not used to or most proficient in just to fit your defense.

Ravens need to get some horses up front to rush the passer so they can play cover three press next year. Leave it at that let earl roam

I love this thread so much, largely because people want to keep lumping this playoff loss in with last year's loss, when they really have VERY little in common. Against the Chargers, we had a QB who couldn't reliably make a throw (and, to be fair, a system which didn't even give him the chance). Lamar in this game was quite literally night and day a better QB; our defense also had particular flaws that the Titans were able to exploit, due to henry and the way the game went. Bringing up the Chargers game and the whole 0-2 narrative is to me moot, because the QB who played in those games is just not the same player

Blog Entries

First gif, he would not have been able to step into that throw once he moved his eyes to Boykin.

Second gif, no, they would not have been able to do that all game. They couldn’t even do it on fourth and one.

Fourth gif is not an RPO. Nor have we ran much RPO all season.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    The Wink stuff is interesting but I also think with our talent it’s really the only way we could play and be successful. We don’t have they guys to play cover 2 all day and we don’t have any horses who can get pressure on their own. It didn’t work but I don’t think playing another way would have worked either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Wink did a fine job all things considered. He lost a bunch of starters that weren’t replaced aside from bringing in ET. He made it work on the fly with street free agents in early October. ... He hardly deserves to be fired he actually overachieved with this group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teavo View Post
    no way would I fire Wink. Vs. Titans wasn't his best game but all season long he made chicken salad out of proverbial chicken shiznit.
    That's the way I see it too. We were crazy-lopsided on D, personnel-wise, this season. All secondary and no pass rushers. Not much on edge-setting either, for that matter. Wink made it work, and the squad played with great cohesion and fire.

I adored Rexy, and crazy Chuck P. But Wink just might be my favorite Ravens DC of all time.

Like I said, Fahey doesn't follow all the commentary. He basically just sees what he sees on the tape. I don't know that he has any awareness of the Ravens struggles to get edge guys on the field this season.

That said – that's gonna nag at me know.

Quote Originally Posted by burnwood View Post
    He shouldn't be blitzing Earl Thomas ever (Also a Seahawks fan). He's a pure cover 3 safety and very good at it. Wink has been trying to get ET his first sack all season. It's a ridiculous thing to chase.
    Earl got a full sack in the Buffalo game. The week before he got a half-sack against the Niners.

I think he has two and two-half sacks on the season.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    First gif, he would not have been able to step into that throw once he moved his eyes to Boykin.
    Bullshit.

Second gif, no, they would not have been able to do that all game.
    Maybe. With only 9 rushing attempts by non-QBs, we can't say that they really gave it a chance.

Fourth gif is not an RPO. Nor have we ran much RPO all season.
    Agreed, looks like a standard read option. Typo on his part, maybe? (an extraneous P)

Blog Entries

No typo, just Fahey being an arrogant, no-it-all prick who talks holier than thou and consistently proves that he doesn’t know nearly as much about the nuances of football as he claims.

Jackson was barely able to step into the throw to Andrews, but he’s supposed to be able to step into a deep throw to Boykin with a lineman closing in on him.

And one undervalued reason why Edwards only had nine carries was, because Jackson started trying to do everything himself and keep it on the Read options when letting Edwards keep it would have been the better option.