Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Election Day

Election Day

I don't know the history behind this, but I'm sure one of you guys would. Why aren't Primary and General Election day's federally mandated holidays? Is there some obvious reason for this that I'm missing? Why don't we just switch out one of the stupid holidays like Columbus Day for Election day?

Re: Election Day

What private employer is required to observe federal holidays? Name just one.

Elections are NOT a federal matter. The Constitution leaves the manner in which voting is handled up to the individual states (with the caveat that the federal government can step in, and has in the case of the Voting Rights Act of 1965).

Primary elections are held over a 4 month period during the presidential election cycle. The first event (Iowa caucus) is on February 3rd, and the final event (Virgin Islands Democratic caucus) is on June 6th. Since these events are handled at the state level, the federal government should have no say what so ever. Since these are inherently party events, the states shouldn't have a say in the matter either, but that's a discussion for another thread.

If the federal government were to set aside a bi-annual federal holiday for general elections, it would apply to federal employees only. States have the authority to set their own holidays as well, and they too would only apply to state employees. Not one single private employer would EVER have to abide by those holidays.

So, what we have instead are laws which guarantee your time to vote. Maryland provides you with "voter leave" - you may take unpaid time off during your work day to vote (up to 2 hours) if you are scheduled and required to work during the entire poll window. Between those protections and early voting (which is open for WEEKS in advance of a general election), there is no reason to set election day as a federal holiday.

And even if it were, the very people you are trying to get to vote (those with retail or food service jobs) are the same people whose employers won't recognize the holiday in the first place.

All it will do is give federal employees another day off of work.

I see what you're saying, and I agree that private employers shouldn't have to observe any of those, but I feel like it would be an easy step to encourage more voting. It's more important to democracy than a day of remembrance like Labor Day, MLK, Columbus Day or Veterans Day. I guess it's just really mind-boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    I see what you're saying, and I agree that private employers shouldn't have to observe any of those, but I feel like it would be an easy step to encourage more voting. It's more important to democracy than a day of remembrance like Labor Day, MLK, Columbus Day or Veterans Day. I guess it's just really mind-boggling.
    I mean...they have the absentee ballot for a reason

Unpopular opinion here: if you don't take the time out of your schedule to vote (especially given how easy it is to vote early), then I don't want you to vote at all.

The mentality that it takes too long reeks of laziness. That also likely lends itself to an uninformed voter. Those voters select candidates PURELY on some litmus test (almost always red versus blue). I don't want those voters. I want voters who actually learn about the candidates and issues, form an opinion based on their own principles, and vote accordingly. I can't tell you how many times I see extended family members posting things like "Get out and vote, but remember to vote [all one party]." That mentality disgusts me.

In Maryland this year, the primary election early voting is from 4/16 through 4/23 (excluding the special election for the 7th Congressional district, which has no early voting for the primary, but absentee ballots are available) and general election early voting is 10/22 - 10/29. Primary day (and special election general) is on 4/28, with the November general election on 11/3. It is YOUR individual responsibility to make time to vote, and to exercise your rights under state law to take time to vote if you have to. ANYONE may request an absentee ballot, and you are not required to provide a reason for doing so. Those ballots are not counted on election night, and the results from election night are not official.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I don't know the history behind this, but I'm sure one of you guys would. Why aren't Primary and General Election day's federally mandated holidays? Is there some obvious reason for this that I'm missing? Why don't we just switch out one of the stupid holidays like Columbus Day for Election day?
    Because we are Americans and we work and most of us can get in a day's work and still get to the polls as well.

If you want a day off every other week Europe is full of countries that do so and have shitty economies that come with it.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I don't want to encourage more voting, I want to discourage idiots that don't know there are 9 justices on the SC or 435 House members from voting. If you are too lazy to get up early or stay out late to vote before/after work just go to the bar and get drunk and save us from your mindless vote.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

I never understood the excuse of..."the polls are too far away so they are clearly trying to suppress my vote" commentary.

Absentee ballots exist to counter this problem. If you don't know that, you're dumb and probably shouldn't be voting anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I don't want to encourage more voting, I want to discourage idiots that don't know there are 9 justices on the SC or 435 House members from voting. If you are too lazy to get up early or stay out late to vote before/after work just go to the bar and get drunk and save us from your mindless vote.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    Aren't bars closed on election day?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Because we are Americans and we work and most of us can get in a day's work and still get to the polls as well.

If you want a day off every other week Europe is full of countries that do so and have shitty economies that come with it.
    This has nothing to do with anything.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

As with anything in a free market society - if a company wants to recognize Election Day and allow people to work remotely or take the day off to go do their ‘Merican Civic Duty...God Bless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I never worked for an employer that didn't allow its employees time off to go vote. With that said, I've never had an issue voting AND working a full 8 hour day.