Page 1 of 16 123 ... LastLast

70 Dropbacks vs. 21 runs called

I see everyone keep saying Roman called 59 pass plays.

That's actually wrong. Lamar scrambled 11 times, so he actually called 70 pass plays and 21 run plays.

Soooo the play calling is even worse than you thought it was.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Re: 70 Dropbacks vs. 21 runs called

We had 92 snaps, so I'm missing a play somewhere, but you catch my drift.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Disturbing....

Internally there needs to be serious dialogue on where things went wrong and why the best running team in NFL history didn’t run the ball. It wasn’t a blowout until late third quarter.

Blog Entries

I feel like the coaches gameplan revolves so much around playing with the lead, that when we didn't have it, they panicked to get it.

Which to me, explains this and Harbaugh going for it on 4th down instead of kicking a FG to make it 14-9.

Blog Entries

I went back and looked to make sure I didn't imagine everything that happened Saturday night for another thread and this is what I had found (note that some of these may have been designed LJ runs vs. scrambles, but I couldn't differentiate in what I was looking at, so I labeled LJ + yards as a pass - assume a couple were designed runs for him, doesn't make it much better)

After they got down 14-0: pass, pass, pass, punt
    Next drive: run, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, run, pass, pass, pass, pass
    First drive out of half (14-6 score): pass, pass, pass, pass, run, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, run, run

After that LJ had the fumble and then it was 28-6 and at that point yeah, you had to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    Internally there needs to be serious dialogue on where things went wrong and why the best running team in NFL history didn’t run the ball. It wasn’t a blowout until late third quarter.
    Yep, if I was Bisciotti that would be the number one thing I'd want to know. 14-0 to 14-6 in the first half is not a situation in which you need to start chucking it all over the place, but they did.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

this was probably my biggest gripe.

we needed to run the ball. as quickly as we abandoned it i almost have to believe it was part of the gameplan to begin with. maybe we thought we saw something in their pass defense? I have no idea, but it certainly shouldnt have happen as early as it did. down 14 in the first, we can still stick to our offense that puts up 30+. even after half time, we were well within reach to take pressure off Lamar and make plays the way we had all season.

Harbs should get some of the blame too for not questioning it more, but the Roman play calling was pretty bad. 4th down plays werent that great (the lamar go right then left was probably on him, but the OL failed regardless). the 2 pt I thought was an awful design. to do a rollout in that part of the field totally bunches everything up, and we didnt even have somebody leak out the back side IIRC.

I could go on an on about plays I didnt like. Execution may not have been there either, but it wasnt a good idea to begin with.

the going for it on 4th i really wasnt that upset about. WE did it all year. I knew it before they even did the first one. I disagree with the second time but not that upset over it. the plays used to try and convert were much more of an issue with me and thats more roman than harbs.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Even without those 4th down conversion this was a winnable game.

Playcalling/gameplan was a big time disappointment.

A team with an offense that beats the 49ers, Patriots, Bills, Texans and Seahawks shouldn’t lose that game.

Not enough runs and lack of variety/creativity in the run game.

Very, very disappointing and bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Disturbing....
    Damn near criminal.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I see everyone keep saying Roman called 59 pass plays.

That's actually wrong. Lamar scrambled 11 times, so he actually called 70 pass plays and 21 run plays.

Soooo the play calling is even worse than you thought it was.

I would think this somewhere coincides with this teams inability to play and or win from behind. Harbaughs 0-18 record of trailing at halftime which was referenced and talked about during the loss I am sure falls in line with this.

Anytime Jackson is throwing that much or any QB its usually recipe for disaster.

Where are the halftime adjustments? Where are the in game adjustments? This is something that I have always felt has haunted Harbaugh as a coach his entire tenure.

I never thought I would see a 14-2 team led by Harbaugh. As a coach this year he finally seemed to change a bit this year, he seemed more aggressive so maybe that is a positive that his stubbornness and arrogant ways can change but something should be addressed from the Owner down to him that this team needs to show some ability to come back after halftime.

11. Re: 70 Dropbacks vs. 21 runs called

The entire game from a coaching perspective was a total disaster. Roman was awful and Harbaugh with his terrible in game decisions was not too far behind. Those guys should feel sick to their stomachs when they watch the afc championship game from home this Sunday.

Harbaugh's 0-18 record trailing at halftime is really really annoying. It means they don't adjust well on the fly. That has to change