Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: Out routes and comebacks

[QUOTE=pslholder96;1847522]
    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    This. I think his issues are the aiming...and he has to continue to work on his lower body to drive the ball on those passes that are more than 8-9 yards beyond the LOS.

Josh Harris was on the fan today and mentioned one of the main things he plans on working with Lamar on are the mechanics to really drive the ball when throwing outside the numbers.[/QUOTE]

Now this is what I wanted to hear!!
    Need the receivers to stop running a route and then stopping (except for Hollywood and the TEs). Those other WRs just run their route and stop. Keep scrambling because Lamar is scrambling until someone gets open.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    I kept hearing the ~'struggling to throw outside the hashes' narrative today on various shows.

just wanted to count again:

7 outside throws
    5 on target
    1 interception bad decision after misreading the trap coverage
    1 hit while throwing & deflected at the line
    Nice summation after some good clips.

The one in this video is deflected at the line... as well as while being hit. The deflection likely makes a bigger impact on ball direction as the ball wobbles much more after the deflection.

Overall. The throws lack velocity. The idea of throwing outside is to get ‘easy’ completions for short yardage by throwing to an open WR who can then either break a tackle or get out of bounds. Lamar doesn’t always get the ball there fast enough to give the WR an option except to take a tackle OR fight to catch the ball.

Another one of the videos, showing the ball low and outside; clearly shows the defender having enough tune to deflect the ball. On an ideal out pattern, the DB shouldn’t have a shot at a deflection. Either the WR didn’t sell the route OR the QB didn’t put enough velocity into the ball. I would actually say both.

I don’t think the Ravens would have practiced many of the passes they used in that playoff game. Frequently receivers stopped after completing routes. A quality WR like AB, regularly destroyed us on ad-lib adjustments. We need more practise on passing downs.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleG View Post

The one in this video is deflected at the line... as well as while being hit. The deflection likely makes a bigger impact on ball direction as the ball wobbles much more after the deflection.

Overall. The throws lack velocity. The idea of throwing outside is to get ‘easy’ completions for short yardage by throwing to an open WR who can then either break a tackle or get out of bounds. Lamar doesn’t always get the ball there fast enough to give the WR an option except to take a tackle OR fight to catch the ball.

Another one of the videos, showing the ball low and outside; clearly shows the defender having enough tune to deflect the ball. On an ideal out pattern, the DB shouldn’t have a shot at a deflection. Either the WR didn’t sell the route OR the QB didn’t put enough velocity into the ball. I would actually say both.

I don’t think the Ravens would have practiced many of the passes they used in that playoff game. Frequently receivers stopped after completing routes. A quality WR like AB, regularly destroyed us on ad-lib adjustments. We need more practise on passing downs.

Unless my eyes are bad, in this game, the only throw that wasn't on time to the outside was the deflected ball to hollywood (which I still think was a great play by the DB). The INT was more a failure to read coverage. The others were complete and I don't think could've gone for many more yards if the timing was different?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittleG View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Julius486 View Post
    Unless my eyes are bad, in this game, the only throw that wasn't on time to the outside was the deflected ball to hollywood (which I still think was a great play by the DB). The INT was more a failure to read coverage. The others were complete and I don't think could've gone for many more yards if the timing was different?
    Same. I certainly don't think Lamar's velocity was an issue in this game. At the same time I think Lamar could drive his throws harder if (a) he chose to (b) he had a stronger/firmer front foot strike and had more aggressive weight transfer. But Lamar has never been to me eye a QB that tries to throw hard merely to throw hard. He's strike me more as classis Bill Walsh style finese thrower that can dial up the velcocity if he needs to. I don't think his timing was an issue.

If i had to pick his issues this game they were (a) decision making (b) poise; and those are typically strong points for Lamar.

After further review the sideline out on the right to Hollywood that sailed out of bounds could also have been a miscommuncition on the route depth and I wrongly said that Lamar was hit during the throw, i saw a better angle posted on twitter that showed that he was hit just after but the ball was deflected like you said.

Any narrative about throwing outside the hash marks being an issue is wrong. The charts all year showed a good distribution to both sides of the field. The charts did show a lack of deep passing and attacking the sidelines.