Page 1 of 13 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Let's Chill Out a Little.

It's reached a point on here where the terms of what constitutes a real fan are being dictated and not being supremely confident of a Super Bowl run is darn near spineless. With the football history in Baltimore, I don't know how this can be the case.

If the 68' Colts had defeated the Jets in Super Bowl III, that Colts team would universally be in the conversation for the Greatest team of All-Time. They were absolutely supposed to destroy the Jets in that game. They got cocky, played sloppy and, before you knew it, Namath was jogging into the locker room wagging a finger.

The Tennessee Titans were not going to come into Baltimore and take down the Ravens in 2003, led by our defense and a 2,000 yard rushing Jamal Lewis. Orlando Brown gets not one, but TWO personal foul penalties on the same drive, McNair did what McNair used to do once upon and time and that was that.

During the 2000 season, it was, "If we can get past the Titans". During the 2012 season, it was, "If we can get past the Broncos". Each season had that one team we all knew it was most important to beat, and that if they could, no one else would stop us. Well, in 2006, there was no such team, because we were supposed to win the Super Bowl and that 2006 defense was supposed to be remembered with the 86' Bears and 2000 Ravens. There was no 'hoping' that we'd hold Peyton and that offense to under 20 points. There was a full, city-wide expectation, that we would beat the *Expletive* out of him and hold that offense under 20 points. There wasn't even a concern about any other team in the AFC that year. We were going to take them down and McNair would be the difference maker on offense. 25 points should do it.

Well, of all people, Todd Heap fumbles in the first quarter, Billick forgets about Jamal and McNair played the game hungover, throwing multiple picks, including one from the one yard line, from a spread formation where he could have just ran it in himself. Oh, and in a cruel twist of fate, Ray Lewis inadvertently robbed Ed Reed of a third interception that, would have likely gone for a touchdown.

Some of us are tempering our expectations, because we've been through this before. We've been through the cocky, arrogant, "This team doesn't stand much of a chance" mindset and been humbled.

Do I expect the Ravens to win? Yes. Should they be favored? Absolutely? But all of this talk like we're a bunch of pansies for not guaranteeing victory and looking past the Titans flies in the face of what Baltimore has been through in its football history.

Let's be excited. Let's enjoy the moment, but let's chill out on the arrogant stuff.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: Let's Chill Out a Little.

How bout YOU chill out, man!

Well said. There's no right or wrong way to act, but for me personally, I was one of those overconfident fans in 2006 who expected a win, only to see disappointment live and in person. Maybe I have PTSD, maybe it's going a few weeks without seeing the starters... ugh! Just anxious

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Agree 100%. 2006 devastated me and I don't want to re-live that. Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion and those that choose to discuss the Ravens v chiefs AFC Championship game can have at it but I won't be speculating on that and you are right ot doesn't make me less of a fan of this team to feel that way

Hey here’s the thing and the thing is fans making predictions have no baring on the outcomes of the games

Little revisonist to claim that 2006 was viewed as a sure thing. Peyton's Colts had owned the Ravens. That's what made the 2012 Broncos game so awesome

Whether or not the fans are arrogant/overconfident has no impact on the outcome of the game, that is certainly true. Being an invested fan however, whatever the pulse of the team is I’d rather try and identify with that, and what they’re doing this week. I highly doubt they’ll be much talk at the Castle about game planning for KC or Houston.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    Little revisonist to claim that 2006 was viewed as a sure thing. Peyton's Colts had owned the Ravens. That's what made the 2012 Broncos game so awesome
    I don't think it's revisionist at all. That 2006 defense was legit and Indianapolis hadn't seen that before. Add McNair to the offense and there was definitely a confidence all around the city. To add to that, Manning outdoors in the playoffs was often a very different QB. Much like he was that game.o
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Manning didn’t even throw a TD and they still lost. That doesn’t happen until it did.

Blog Entries

Well it's a good point, but I can't help but think you're setting yourself up to post your annual ''i told you so thread''.

Also what's happening to your pass happy utopia league? Seems like all the best teams are now running the ball not passing it!

I think we all know that how fans feel whether confident or not doesn't impact the outcome of the game itself. I think it's about understanding that nothing is given nor guaranteed. When the playoffs start everyone is 0-0. Some fans will approach this week's game with arrogance, confidence, optimism or pessimism.

I'm optimistic but know full well that any team can be beaten on any given day, ravens included. I remember that feeling going into that 2006 Indy game and the feeling after it. It was devastating. It's for that reason I'm cautiously optimistic. Sometimes taking this approach helps one to deal with any negative outcomes that may come out of it.
    Titans are on a roll and a force to be reckon with. They have shades of both of our superbowl teams. Wildcard team that got hot. This is why they are a dangerous team. I'm expecting this game to be close for 2 1/2 quarters and then hopefully we pull away.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Well it's a good point, but I can't help but think you're setting yourself up to post your annual ''i told you so thread''.

Also what's happening to your pass happy utopia league? Seems like all the best teams are now running the ball not passing it!
    I can assure you that is not what this is about. After feeling what we felt in 06', you are not in the mood to even speak, let alone gloat about things you may have been right about.