Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Off-Season Must Do’s

Robby Anderson is not a 1

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    Too early to say that Hollywood can't be an elite receiver. Needs to get healthy full speed next season. When he's healthy and fast he can put DBs under pressure. Boykin is just disappointing not being able carry strong practice performances into the real games.
    Hollywood was probably the 2nd best player on the field tonight. I absolutely believe when healthy Hollywood is going to be the best receiver in Ravens history. This loss is squarely on Lamar (3 TOs) and the defense (couldn't get off the field on 3rd down). The single biggest need is iLB. Our starting iLB were on the sofa to begin the season. The simpmu couldnt get to the edge to stop the run.

I tried to tell this board to not sleep on Tennessee and the defense to stop this team. Pees didnt hit Lamar every time but what they did was take the middle of the field away.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Ravens have a lot going for them and there is a lot to build on.

What do they need to get to that “next level”?

IMO, there are 2 primary areas they must focus on this off-season.

The first is receiver. Some may disagree, but the Titans exposed the Ravens in a bad way today because the Ravens couldn’t run, got behind, and then had to throw the ball A LOT. I like Hollywood, but he’s not a premier guy. He’s not going to consistently be someone Lamar can rely on to get open and make plays. Boykin had less than 200 yards receiving on the year and was effectively the #2 starting WR this year. Snead is a decent slot guy, but again, he’s not a premier guy.

The Ravens need an AJ Brown, Juju Smith-Schuster, etc.

I’d really be looking at Robby Anderson this off-season. AJ Green might also be a possibility.

In the draft, depending on how it shakes out, Tee Higgins is definitely someone to consider.

The second is their front 7 on defense. I like Judon and I think Ferguson has shown some flashes, but they desperately need better pass rushers. The Niners and Titans show what you can do when you have elite DL play. Wormley, Pierce, BWill...these guys are ok, but they’re not game changers.

I also think ILB needs a major upgrade. Fort and Bynes are decent. Peanut is an excellent interior rusher, but he gets lost in coverage and isn’t great against the run.

I really like Chris Jones, but would be surprised if KC let’s him go. Some other interesting guys could be Arik Armstead, Markus Golden, Dante Fowler, Yannick Ngakoue, and Shaq Lawson.

Not a lot of interior DL guys that interest me in free agency.

Raekwon Davis could be a good fit in the draft. He’s a long 5-tech DT (6’7” 310lbs).

As far as ILB is concerned, I really like Ken Murray in the draft. Obviously Isaiah Simmons would be a nice get as well, but he’s probably a top-15 pick. There really isn’t anyone in FA that excites me other than Joe Schobert. If the Browns let him go, Baltimore should be all over him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No doubt.

I think Hollywood will be fine outside. Don’t forget, he’s still dealing with his foot injury and missed all of minicamp and most of training camp. He’ll be fine imho. Boykin however needs a lot of work, so much work that you can’t really control on him developing into a quality NFL receiver. Snead is ok...not a fan of Roberts. Need another quality guy no doubt.

ILB is an issue...Baynes was a nice stabilizing guy and I like Fort. Peanut stinks though...they need ILB help, more speed. I doubt we get a shot at Murray so it may have to be a late day 3/day 4 guy. I like Willie Gay JR from MSU in that area.

Bring back Judon, and I think you can be ok with Ferg and Bowser at OLB on the other side as they continue to grow. If not, maybe look at Kerrigan as I think he’s an inevitable cut.

Interior pass rush is a big question imho...obviously everyone wants Chris Jones, but I’m a fan of Armstead. 2 other guys are maybe Adrian Clayborn and Calais Campbell when he’s probably inevitably cut.

Got a lot of work to do...we have about 2 more years before We have to pay Lamar.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Yes Calais campbell

The second is their front 7 on defense. I like Judon and I think Ferguson has shown some flashes, but they desperately need better pass rushers. The Niners and Titans show what you can do when you have elite DL play. Wormley, Pierce, BWill...these guys are ok, but they’re not game changers.

That 49ers DL is littered with 1st round picks. Including #2 overall pick who is likely going to be an annual DPOY candidate for years to come. Building elite DLs like that takes years worth of drafts along with picking in the top 5 at some point. That ain’t happening here.

Agreed with the rest of your post. Need WRs to give us a chance when we fall behind in a game. It isn’t sustainable to just always count on playing with a lead.

I would like to see a change of defensive coordinator. Although The offensive play calling was poor today I felt Martindale did less this year with what we had. Just nonstop blitzing for no reason, which only works when you have a lead and a very good secondary.

Sign fucking Derrick Henry

Blog Entries

The Ravens need an AJ Brown, Juju Smith-Schuster, etc.

Juju is not a #1 receiver. Ask any Steeler fan. What the Ravens need is a DeAndre Hopkins, a true #1. A guy like SSR. Unfortunately, those guys don't grow in trees.

Quote Originally Posted by New ! View Post
    I would like to see a change of defensive coordinator. Although The offensive play calling was poor today I felt Martindale did less this year with what we had. Just nonstop blitzing for no reason, which only works when you have a lead and a very good secondary.
    Holy crap it starts! Wink is the new Pees. He blitzed very successfully primarily because of no quality pass rushers. Get the next coach in. Then find a stupid reason he should be fired when no pass rush = losses.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson8 View Post
    Sign fucking Derrick Henry
    This ain’t it chief

Quote Originally Posted by New ! View Post
    I feel the complete opposite about the job Wink did. Wink implemented the appropriate scheme for the personnel we had. We went into the season with a sub par front 7 and by October we were a complete MASH unit there. We had Fort, Bynes, Peko, and Ellis as off the street FAs seeing significant snaps. TJ went down for the year and we still managed to become a top 5 defense.

When you have a great secondary and a bad front 7 it makes sense to blitz to generate pressure and let the secondary handle their islands.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeak View Post
    Holy crap it starts! Wink is the new Pees. He blitzed very successfully primarily because of no quality pass rushers. Get the next coach in. Then find a stupid reason he should be fired when no pass rush = losses.
    I think to call the game today the way he did played exactly to Tennessee’s strengths and is an indictment on him. We had nearly 600 yards of offense so I have a hard time blaming Roman, I felt our offensive struggles were more on the players today. The wacky turnovers.