Blog Entries

Remember the Father that was charged for killing a man who broke into a convenience store bathroom his daughter was using?

I kind of had forgotten to follow up on this case and never heard the sentence covered in the news. I couldn't find the original post here, but the father pleaded guilty to manslaughter charges after beating the man to death on 2 August 2018. He was sentenced to eight years in prison. Your thoughts on the severity of the sentence? Too long, too short, or about right?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9252216.html

Re: Remember the Father that was charged for killing a man who broke into a convenience store bathroom his daughter was using

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    I kind of had forgotten to follow up on this case and never heard the sentence covered in the news. I couldn't find the original post here, but the father pleaded guilty to manslaughter charges after beating the man to death on 2 August 2018. He was sentenced to eight years in prison. Your thoughts on the severity of the sentence? Too long, too short, or about right?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9252216.html
    You kill someone...you're doing time. Simple as that.

Blog Entries

Re: Remember the Father that was charged for killing a man who broke into a convenience store bathroom his daughter was using

I remember this. This issue for the father is the daughter was never actually assaulted and was out of harms way by time he took it upon himself to kick the shit out of the guy which lead to his death. Was it ever determined if the guy was actually trying to break in or just confused where he was?

8 years. I don't know if its the right amount of time, but I'm not going to say its wrong. You can't take the law into you own hands, especially when the person you're trying to protect is safe and unharmed.

Around 11.30pm that night, Harris drove to a Phoenix convenience store to pick up his teenage daughter and her two friends.

When the girls left the store, they told Harris a man had tried to break into a locked stall in the women's bathroom.

She alerted the staff at the QuikTrip, and a security guard kicked the man out of the store.

Yeah, this is a tough case. I'd be more than willing to kill anybody for trying to harm a kid (any kid, not just mine) but there was no danger at the time of the fight. Emotionally, I believe the guy should be set free. From a legal standpoint, he's guilty and should be punished.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    I remember this. This issue for the father is the daughter was never actually assaulted and was out of harms way by time he took it upon himself to kick the shit out of the guy which lead to his death. Was it ever determined if the guy was actually trying to break in or just confused where he was?

8 years. I don't know if its the right amount of time, but I'm not going to say its wrong. You can't take the law into you own hands, especially when the person you're trying to protect is safe and unharmed.

Around 11.30pm that night, Harris drove to a Phoenix convenience store to pick up his teenage daughter and her two friends.

When the girls left the store, they told Harris a man had tried to break into a locked stall in the women's bathroom.

She alerted the staff at the QuikTrip, and a security guard kicked the man out of the store.
    in all the reports and mentions, it says "tried to get in", including her own description, meaning never achieving. Anybody thats ever been in one of those knows that a grown man doesnt need to try very hard to get in if thats what he wants to do. to think that little slide lock attached to 3/4" composite is going to keep anybody out, is ignoring physics. Thats the issue ive had with describing him as trying to break in. mentally ill person or not, its rather clear his intent wasnt to get in, or he would have. those doors arent designed to withhold a person, theyre just to secure the door for privacy.

as far as 8 years, im sure thats inline with other sentences of similar crimes. the debate was whether or not he was guilty of anything, and he clearly was.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 01-10-2020 at 08:40 AM.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    in all the reports and mentions, it says "tried to get in", including her own description, meaning never achieving. Anybody thats ever been in one of those knows that a grown man doesnt need to try very hard to get in if thats what he wants to do. to think that little slide lock attached to 3/4" composite is going to keep anybody out, is ignoring physics. Thats the issue ive had with describing him as trying to break in. mentally ill person or not, its rather clear his intent wasnt to get in, or he would have. those doors arent designed to withhold a person, theyre just to secure the door for privacy.

as far as 8 years, im sure thats inline with other sentences of similar crimes. the debate was whether or not he was guilty of anything, and he clearly was.
    Good point. Not to mention you could easily crawl under. We're assuming of course it was a standard public restroom stall (It happened in a QuickTrip restroom so I'm sure it was). Sounds like there were other people around also.

More on the case:

Armstrong's aunt, Kathilena Johnson, said he suffered from schizophrenia.

"I don't think anybody can be prepared to hear that type of news that someone just was so cruel," she said. "Though he did have some mental illness, he was never a person that was considered a pedophile of any sort."

https://www.yourtango.com/2018316707...er-man-entered