Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ricky Gervais TORCHES Hollywood Elite in Scathing Globes Opener

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    While I agree that it was more of a comedian telling edgy jokes than a true blast to Hollywood, I don't think the crowd was in on the joke. There was very little laughter and quite a few dropped jaws at some of the stuff he said. As opposed to when Deniro gets on a stage, says "Fuck Trump" and the place erupts. I think he definitely ticked off many in the audience.
    I agree with you completely on this. Now Ricky Gervais is even being called a right winger, which is hilarious in itself. Sure he had lots of edgy jokes during the program, that's what he's known for. But this was very different. When he said they were all perverts and friends of Epstein, that they work for big companies who have sweatshops in China, and the big finish, "So if you do win an award tonight, don't use it as a platform to make a political speech. You're in no position to lecture the public about anything. You know nothing about the real world. Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg. So if you win, come up, accept your little award, thank your agent, and your God and fuck off, OK?
    Now when is the last time you have heard anyone at an awards show, call the Elites out as hypocrites. That's not your normal joke or roast. It's just not done in their world. Every year, the award shows like the Golden Globes, Oscars, and Emmys set new lows for viewership. I haven't watched one in many a year. People don't want to hear the Elites political views, which is what these shows have become. Now granted, the Elites will and did continue to voice their political views during the show, that won't change. That's why they are considered Elites. They don't care what anyone else thinks or feels.Ricky Gervais kind of explained that And if you think the crowd was in on the joke, did you check out the couple of screen shots of Tom Hanks. He was not pleased. He did not look like the happy Mister Rogers on that night.

I think Ricky was making a serious point, albeit in a joking manner. It wasn’t a scolding, but IMO I think he was calling some people out. That whole you’d work for ISIS was an over the top exaggeration, but the underlying point about you’re taking money from people/companies who are bad, use sweatshops etc was real. As was the you’re not really that educated you’ll shouldn’t be spouting off point.

Gervais got all the pub for his speech, not much said about Jacquin Phoenix telling Hollywood to lead by example and make sacrifices in their own lives, "We don't all have to take private jets to Palm Springs for award shows" as they hit the music to walk him off.

Again, he was saying all that stuff in jest. It was nothing they (Hollywood) haven't already heard before. It came off more as a joke to the ones that think/say that stuff about them than actually pointing fingers at them. They turned all that negative image stuff around and made into jokes.

Oh, this is what a lot of people think/believe about us...okay...haha.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    Again, he was saying all that stuff in jest. It was nothing they (Hollywood) haven't already heard before. It came off more as a joke to the ones that think/say that stuff about them than actually pointing fingers at them. They turned all that negative image stuff around and made into jokes.

Oh, this is what a lot of people think/believe about us...okay...haha.

Wait, so you really think Ricky was making a joke about the people who would say stuff like that and not really making fun on the Hollywood folk????

Blog Entries

So wait!? There was no truth to Apple using sweatshops in China to make their phones??? That was just a joke all this time?

Glad Ricky brought that to my attention!

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Wait, so you really think Ricky was making a joke about the people who would say stuff like that and not really making fun on the Hollywood folk????
    I think they used it as damage control and now can just play it all off as a joke, yes.

The general consensus from the general public about us is this, so let's use this opportunity to take their ammo and throw it at ourselves so when they continue to do so, it will lessen the blow because we have already joked about it on National TV. They will continue to spend their $ watching our movies and we will continue on as normal.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    So wait!? There was no truth to Apple using sweatshops in China to make their phones??? That was just a joke all this time?

Glad Ricky brought that to my attention!
    Don't act like that was the very first time sweatshops have been brought up. I heard about Nike doing that back in high school and I graduated in 98. Nike is still going strong today.

I think they used it as damage control and now can just play it all off as a joke, yes.

The general consensus from the general public about us is this, so let's use this opportunity to take their ammo and throw it at ourselves so when they continue to do so, it will lessen the blow because we have already joked about it on National TV. They will continue to spend their $ watching our movies and we will continue on as normal.

Yeah I don’t agree with that at all. Ricky was criticizing the Hollywood people. He wasn’t necessarily ‘torching’ then, but he was certainly criticizing them

Blog Entries

Don't act like that was the very first time sweatshops have been brought up. I heard about Nike doing that back in high school and I graduated in 98. Nike is still going strong today.

That's not the point. To act like there was no truth being said, or while joking none of what he said was calling anyone out can't be true, when he said that about apple with Tim Cook (apple CEO) front and center.

Blog Entries

Why would they/he have to do that if there was no truth to what he said?

Blog Entries

Funny, I didn't see one pair of Nike's being worn at the Golden Globes the other night. Nike was never linked to Hollywood. Why would they be?. The only Hollywood Elite member that I can remember being linked to a sweatshop was Kathie Lee Gifford and her line of clothing. I can remember Kathy Lee Gifford caught hell for that and had to apologize several times over. I don't remember Colin Kaepernick apologizing for Nike's sweatshops.