Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump

Re: Trump

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Because the government caused the banks to collapse by allowing those people to get unsecured prime mortgage loans.
    We have Bill Clinton and George Bush to thank for that freaking mess. And it all started because of people with a whiny sense of entitlement as seen above saying "all people should be able to get a loan to buy a home."

Wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    There is no arbitrary standard as to where the government steps in regarding morality and law. For anyone to suggest otherwise is a nonstarter.
    Please see the Bill of Rights

2. Yes, it is demonstrably true that there are hundreds of thousands of people in this country who are rich beyond their control and poor beyond their control.
    They all have the power to change that. Some do. Some don't. The government giving people a % of their own money back definitely won't make poor people wealthy.

This whole entire country was built on the backs of unpaid labor!! Have you ever heard of slavery, jim crow laws, redlining, distribution of crack in black neighborhoods, the phony war on drugs, the destruction of black wall street, Marcus Garvey, etc...???? This country has done damn near irreparable harm to a lot of people for 400 years.
    It's 2020. Every person of sound mind and living in this country has means to achieve financial success. Nothing that happened 400 years ago, 200 years ago, 100 years ago, or 50 years ago is preventing anyone from bettering their lives.

3. You think people don't work hard???? This is where you lose me.
    I do think a lot of people work hard. I also think a lot of people are lazy motherfuckers who leach off of the government. I also think a lot of people think working hard is all they have to do.

I'll amend my earlier comment. Work harder and smarter and make good life choices (ie. don't have a kid(s) before you establish your career).

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post

They all have the power to change that. Some do. Some don't. The government giving people a % of their own money back definitely won't make poor people wealthy.

It's 2020. Every person of sound mind and living in this country has means to achieve financial success. Nothing that happened 400 years ago, 200 years ago, 100 years ago, or 50 years ago is preventing anyone from bettering their lives.

I do think a lot of people work hard. I also think a lot of people are lazy motherfuckers who leach off of the government. I also think a lot of people think working hard is all they have to do.

I'll amend my earlier comment. Work harder and smarter and make good life choices (ie. don't have a kid(s) before you establish your career).
    Spot on!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with that statement. I think Social Security and Disability benefits should still stay, but I don't have any issue with UBI replacing other welfare tools.
    UBI is not really a negative income tax.
    But this is all really distracting from how you think govt is going to provide a better quality of life for society as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post

The fact that you think a country can mentally, physically, and economically abuse a people for 400 years and then expect them to not be hurt by it for generations to come says a lot about your logic.

If someone you knew abused your son or daughter emotionally and financially (raped them, beat them, kept money from them, didn't feed them, had them live in a box) non-stop for the first 20 years of their life, what would be your prognosis for how you think the rest of their life will go? How about the next 5 years even? Would you tell them to pull themselves up by the bootstrap and suck it up?

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    UBI is not really a negative income tax.
    But this is all really distracting from how you think govt is going to provide a better quality of life for society as a whole.
    If the government ACTIVELY contributed to making black people's lives worse off for 400 years, then they can damn well learn to make people's lives better.

It's sick how people can dismiss them LITERALLY making people's lives a living hell for so long, but when we ask them to make peoples lives better, then it's just too much to ask. GTFO with that bs.

If the government ACTIVELY contributed to making black people's lives worse off for 400 years, then they can damn well learn to make people's lives better.

It's sick how people can dismiss them LITERALLY making people's lives a living hell for so long, but when we ask them to make peoples lives better, then it's just too much to ask. GTFO with that bs.
    And herein lies the difference -- you believe that the way the gov "makes people's lives better" is by giving them things, some of us believe that opportunity given is a far better gift and as was said earlier, there is not a better time in this nation's history to exploit opportunity, be you black, white, blue, green or purple.

I would maybe be ok with UBI replacing all forms of federal aid. No more food stamps, SSI, disability, etc. basically just give everyone social security benefits and it shouldn’t cost much more because the thousands of employees that can be fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, this is really all about your support for reparations?

Completely ignoring that slavery has been over for 150 years,
    You still didn’t answer the question of how govt is goin to provide a better quality of life for the whole of society

Wrong! I'm not even African American, but those people deserve things! They deserve 40 acres and a mule, not a rinky dink little program disguised as some hocus pocus "opportunity".

You do realize that the government THEMSELVES (CIA) were the ones responsible for distributing crack in black neighborhoods as recently as the '80s! They deserve way more than "opportunities" from the government after taking away every tangible thing possible, INCLUDING lives.

The fact that you think a country can mentally, physically, and economically abuse a people for 400 years and then expect them to not be hurt by it for generations to come says a lot about your logic.
    a people???????

You're moving the goalposts, dude. First it was a UBI because of a wealth inequality gap. Now it's money for black people because slavery existed over 150 years ago?

Tell me one person today who isn't financially successful because slavery existed.