Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump

Re: Trump

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    The problem is that the number isn't 2 billion. They just spent 2 TRILLION! That's more than enough to cover a public option and it would cover free college or elimination of ridiculous student debt 100x over.

There is NO ARGUMENT that you can come up with that makes it necessary to spend 2 TRILLION dollars to defend ourselves from little ass Iran! Especially when you have plenty of issues that can fixed right here at home.
    Yikes

You haven’t deleted this post yet??

The problem is that the number isn't 2 billion. They just spent 2 TRILLION! That's more than enough to cover a public option and it would cover free college or elimination of ridiculous student debt 100x over.

There is NO ARGUMENT that you can come up with that makes it necessary to spend 2 TRILLION dollars to defend ourselves from little ass Iran! Especially when you have plenty of issues that can fixed right here at home.
    You know that’s not in 1 year right?

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    You know that’s not in 1 year right?
    Yes, I never assumed it was either.

Yes, I never assumed it was either.
    So why the lament over 2 trillion spending on military? I mean I don’t see anything wrong with spending 18 percent of the budget on the military, since defense is an actual purpose of the federal govt.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    So why the lament over 2 trillion spending on military? I mean I don’t see anything wrong with spending 18 percent of the budget on the military, since defense is an actual purpose of the federal govt.
    Milton Friedman:

“Government has three primary functions.
    1) It should provide for military defense of the nation.
    2) It should enforce contracts between individuals.
    3) It should protect citizens from crimes against themselves or their property.

When government-- in pursuit of good intentions tries to rearrange the economy, legislate morality, or help special interests, the cost come in inefficiency, lack of motivation, and loss of freedom. Government should be a referee, not an active player.”

bandc...so, you think that the government should take our money and give a percentage of it back to us while at the same time you think that the government spends too much money on protecting our sovereignty which ensures us the freedom to make as much money as possible. Is that your position?
    Last edited by ravenmaniac4life; 01-06-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Okay... so first... stop correcting everyone on YOUR typo when we are all admitting we didn't see the tweet dude. Secondly... I'll revise my original statement and say it is like the choice between buying a lexus and buying everyone in the USA a Ferrari instead. UBI would cost more than $2t a year. There are 350mil people in the US. Right now, 45% of them even pay taxes, so you are looking at UBI for 55% of the population. So paying 192.5mil people $35,000 would cost $67t a year. Free Healthcare? It costs the US $3.7t a year. Free Education? $1t a year. This is estimated but on top of which, the government would have to staff so let's add another 50% to your number... Good job. You're complaining about the president spending $2t over four years, because you'd rather the government control $100T/year when they cannot even handle handing out driver's licenses without fraud.... You and Krugman should split the next economics prize....

I don't think we should be in Iran either, but are you the type that has $20 in your pocket so you spend $4,000? The government should NOT spend the $2trillion, and instead, stop taxing us all as much and not control any of this crap you just mentioned...
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Didn’t W write the blank check to Wall Street? BHO “bailed out” the Pep Boys. Either way ...has zero to do with Trump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think both of them bailed out banks at different points

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Was it on this thread that someone called Iraq a "sovereign nation"? I cannot remember. I do know this... B.S. they are sovereign... Since we've pulled out, they lost control of which country even controls their military, so now it is just bands of fighters backed by other countries in different regions. Iraq is anything BUT sovereign. Here is why:

Liberals still spout the nonsense, "Bush lied and people died!" or that it was his "Daddy's war" or that "Cheney orchestrated the whole thing". Are they aware there was an entire commission done to look into the intel that lead to Iraq2??? For instance, liberals "forget" to mention the fact that Saddam was intentionally trying to fool the world into thinking he had an atomic bomb because it was a deterrent to keep Iran at bay... that was Saddam's OWN ADMISSION. On top of which, they did find illegal use of chemical weapons in the northern region. Remember those guys? The ones that Trump "abandoned" and democrats suddenly cared about? Yeah... same guys that Saddam was gassing and we found proof. So liberals didn't care about them then, and were fine with Saddam gassing them, but were HORRIFIED that Trump removed 1,000 troops from their defense...

Either way... Saddam knew that the minute they were seen as weak, Iran would swoop in and take them by proxy like they have done with multiple other nations. Iran is like a gang. They don't actually kill anyone... they just pay thugs to do it, and in the meantime collect money from them.

Also, can the news stop acting like Soleimani was their "Secretary of State"... that is absurd. He flew around the middle east picking targets for terrorists to attack and teaching them how to make better IEDs. I don't want a war with Iran... but I also am not going to defend that POS, nor sanction our hit on him. It's messed up that nobody else had the balls to kill this total piece of garbage.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

Blog Entries

Trump

Quote Originally Posted by DitkasSausage View Post
    Was it on this thread that someone called Iraq a "sovereign nation"? I cannot remember. I do know this... B.S. they are sovereign... Since we've pulled out, they lost control of which country even controls their military, so now it is just bands of fighters backed by other countries in different regions. Iraq is anything BUT sovereign. Here is why:

Liberals still spout the nonsense, "Bush lied and people died!" or that it was his "Daddy's war" or that "Cheney orchestrated the whole thing". Are they aware there was an entire commission done to look into the intel that lead to Iraq2??? For instance, liberals "forget" to mention the fact that Saddam was intentionally trying to fool the world into thinking he had an atomic bomb because it was a deterrent to keep Iran at bay... that was Saddam's OWN ADMISSION. On top of which, they did find illegal use of chemical weapons in the northern region. Remember those guys? The ones that Trump "abandoned" and democrats suddenly cared about? Yeah... same guys that Saddam was gassing and we found proof. So liberals didn't care about them then, and were fine with Saddam gassing them, but were HORRIFIED that Trump removed 1,000 troops from their defense...

Either way... Saddam knew that the minute they were seen as weak, Iran would swoop in and take them by proxy like they have done with multiple other nations. Iran is like a gang. They don't actually kill anyone... they just pay thugs to do it, and in the meantime collect money from them.

Also, can the news stop acting like Soleimani was their "Secretary of State"... that is absurd. He flew around the middle east picking targets for terrorists to attack and teaching them how to make better IEDs. I don't want a war with Iran... but I also am not going to defend that POS, nor sanction our hit on him. It's messed up that nobody else had the balls to kill this total piece of garbage.
    I referred to Pakistan as a sovereign nation. But I think it was in a different thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    Milton Friedman:

When government-- in pursuit of good intentions tries to rearrange the economy, legislate morality, or help special interests, the cost come in inefficiency, lack of motivation, and loss of freedom. Government should be a referee, not an active player.”

bandc...so, you think that the government should take our money and give a percentage of it back to us while at the same time you think that the government spends too much money on protecting our sovereignty which ensures us the freedom to make as much money as possible. Is that your position?
    I am just catching up from this afternoon. Dam, you opened a can with this question. I can’t wait to read the rest of this afternoons commnets to see how he deflects everything he has claimed to want.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    Milton Friedman:

1. Protecting citizens from crimes, and not legislating morality are contradictory statements. If I'm missing something, please help me.

2. Milton Friedman himself proposed a rearranging of the economy with a negative income tax which directly helped "special interest" poor people. No data EVER has shown a lack of motivation or loss of freedom with a negative income tax or UBI.

3. Yes! That is absolutely my point. When you are the richest country to have ever existed, there comes a point when you decide what benefits the well being of the country more. If the country has more than enough excess money to spend, would my neighbors be better off with the military having another war machine (along with the 740 billion budget in place?), or would my fellow countrymen be better off with better education, or better healthcare, or slightly higher wages? I'll take the latter every single time.

You talk about the freedom to make as much money as possible. At some point, it becomes about more than rich people making as much money as possible and the wealth inequality gap increasing by the second. The bottom 80% of this country owns something like 8% of the stock market and the bottom 50% of the country owns 0%, so only very limited amounts of people in this country are making any type of generational wealth.

We can do better.

3. Yes! That is absolutely my point. When you are the richest country to have ever existed, there comes a point when you decide what benefits the well being of the country more. If the country has more than enough excess money to spend, would my neighbors be better off with the military having another war machine (along with the 740 billion budget in place?), or would my fellow countrymen be better off with better education, or better healthcare, or slightly higher wages? I'll take the latter every single time.

We can do better.
    More than enough excess money??? Have you noticed the yearly deficit?