Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2122232425 ... LastLast

Re: An Even Closer Look: 2020 WR draft class

The fact that people still cite Walter Football is wild to me

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Kiper has Claypool going in the first round, right after Mims. Depending on what you need/expect out of receivers it isn't a huge stretch to prefer Claypool. Even their stats are similar. Personally I'm a fan of Claypool for us due to his blocking ability and explosiveness. I don't think Mims is as much a chess piece although I'm willing to say Mims is a better pure receiver.

Spot on. For our offense, Claypool is the perfect fit. Whether that means we have to take him at 28, or can somehow get him in the 2nd round is hard to predict.

FWIW

Hollywood Brown had 13 targets over our final 5 games.

Smokey Brown had something like 2 targets a game once Lamar took the reigns in 2018.

I don't think the Ravens offense needs a prototype #1 WR to be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    The fact that people still cite Walter Football is wild to me
    They actually killed the draft last year. I think they had something like 19 of the 32 1st round picks correct, which is mindblowing.

Regardless, discrediting a reputable source just because it doesn't agree with you is picking some pretty low hanging fruit....

Mims is one of those late rising prospects (and for good reason), that tend to get overdrafted and ultimately get GMs fired. I personally like him (so much that I have him ahead of Higgins), but he fits that profile.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    They actually killed the draft last year. I think they had something like 19 of the 32 1st round picks correct, which is mindblowing.

Regardless, discrediting a reputable source just because it doesn't agree with you is picking some pretty low hanging fruit....

Mims is one of those late rising prospects (and for good reason), that tend to get overdrafted and ultimately get GMs fired. I personally like him (so much that I have him ahead of Higgins), but he fits that profile.
    Congrats to them. Their rankings are still terrible and Cherepinsky himself is a blowhard jackass

Also absurd to call Mims a late riser while pumping up Claypool who was less productive in college and even more of a combine superstar. At least Mims’s testing shows up on film

Spot on. For our offense, Claypool is the perfect fit. Whether that means we have to take him at 28, or can somehow get him in the 2nd round is hard to predict.

FWIW

Hollywood Brown had 13 targets over our final 5 games.

Smokey Brown had something like 2 targets a game once Lamar took the reigns in 2018.

I don't think the Ravens offense needs a prototype #1 WR to be effective.

I may have missed this but I read that Claypool does have slot ability, how do you like him in the slot? Obviously his elite run blocking will do wonders but how do you like him as a WR in the slot.

I think Claypool would be the player who would be overdrafted as opposed to Mims. His style of play would fit at move tight end/big slot where he could just be a strong target inside. Mims has a more complete skill set and maybe he could fall in the draft but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up pick near the end of day 1.

If you look above, I have Mims ranked ahead of Claypool. I just think, as many do here, that Chase is a better fit for our offense. I love both players, but I'd rather trade down than take either at 28. I'd love either one at 55, and would even consider a trade up as long as it wasn't too salty. I personally don't think that Mims being around at 55 is as crazy as you do.

I also think Mims is more of the late riser. Claypool was viewed as a top 15 prospect in last year's draft class had he declared, so it's not like he came out of nowhere. Mims had a solid 18 season as well, but I don't recall him being on the radar nearly as much.

Claypool and Mims had virtually identical stats last year, but in much different settings. Claypool played in a run heavy offense, and Mims played in the Big 12 where every game is 51-38. The Big 12 has been a factory of busts at a variety of positions, of which WR is towards the top. Kevin White. Josh Doctson. Justin Blackmon. Those are the three names that first come to mind, and I'm sure others will also. That's really the only thing about Mims that makes me nervous, and it's not really even his fault.

You're pimpin' Mims now. I get it. He is a beast on film. I think you can compliment one without destroying the other player. Just because I see him as more of a 2nd rounder doesn't mean I'm bashing your boy :-) That Big 12 WR element has me a bit nervous.

To try to find a more common grounded line of debate, how do you see Aiyuk fitting in comparison to Mims? If we don't draft Mims at 28 and he's not around at 55, do you like Aiyuk there? Is he even going to be there at 55? How much does his kick returning skills add to his value?
    Fair enough all around. Sorry if I’ve come off abrasive, I do that sometimes lol but I’m enjoying the discussion. Not trying to be a dick, I respect your opinion for sure even if I disagree.

I don’t see it as Mims vs Claypool, you’re right it’s not a zero sum game. I just happen to not really like Claypool as much as many here. Coincidence there.

Mims is also an elite blocker, and plenty explosive, so he’s a great fit here just the same. They’re both a good fit, and Mims is just flat out the better player imo.

Kevin White couldn’t stay healthy, and Justin Blackmon couldn’t stay out of trouble off the field. Blackmon was a monster when he was actually out there. And the list of successful Big 12 WRs in the NFL is pretty long (and includes our own Hollywood Brown).

I’ve come around on Aiyuk. I didn’t like him at first because I don’t really value kick returning at all (the kickoff is already devalued and I think there’s a good chance it’s gone altogether before long) but I think he’s a legit WR. I like him at 55 almost as much as I like Mims at 28. I’m just worried the whole second tier is cleared out by 55.

Kevin White couldn’t stay healthy, and Justin Blackmon couldn’t stay out of trouble off the field. Blackmon was a monster when he was actually out there. And the list of successful Big 12 WRs in the NFL is pretty long (and includes our own Hollywood Brown).

Hollywood Brown is on the right path. Let's revisit him in a few years.

Just to be a bit of a devil's advocate, can you give me some names of Big 12 WRs who turned into very good NFL WRs?

Since I wrote the last post, some more names came to mind, and almost all of them were bad.

Ryan Broyles

Roy Williams (not a total bust, but underachieved)

Crabtree (nice career, but a underachiever based on where he was drafted)

Malcolm Kelly (2nd round 2008. Major bust)

Sterling Sheppard (jury still out, but not impressing)

Tavon Austin (8th pick in 2013 draft, 2000 career receiving yards. Still playing, and adds value beyond receiving yards, but hard to ignore 250 yards/season)

Josh Gordon (very talented, but a tease)

Then you have the aforementioned Blackmon, White, Doctson.

James Washington appears on the right path.

The best Big 12 wr I can think of is Wes Welker, and he was undrafted.

Mark Clayton was a late 1st rounder and I think he was underrated by our fanbase a bit, but I don't think he helps or harms my argument.

Tyler Lockett is a on the overachieving side of the fence. Really like him.

Also absurd to call Mims a late riser while pumping up Claypool who was less productive in college and even more of a combine superstar. At least Mims’s testing shows up on film
    Anyone that thinks claypool shows that athleticism on the field...
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Don't why anyone would single out an entire conference for underachieving receivers as if other schools don't produce busts. Also knocking the Big XII for quality of receivers is weird when the Big 10 exists.