Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: An Even Closer Look: 2020 WR draft class

I'm not AGAINST drafting a WR (even early, if that's how the board shakes out), but I think we HAVE TO find a quality 3rd OT in this draft (or FA, if the opportunity presents itself).

We can't go into another season crossing our fingers that Stanley / Brown stay healthy the whole year.

We may get a WR at pick 32 (we'll hope 32) that on a normal year would be picked around the middle of the 1st round. WR isn't a pressing need, but that may be too much value to pass up. Lining up say Justin Jefferson on the outside with Hollywood, with Andrews and Hurst at TE and Ingram in the backfield looks pretty damn awesome. I think a complete top tier outside WR would literally make our offense unstoppable.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    I'm not AGAINST drafting a WR (even early, if that's how the board shakes out), but I think we HAVE TO find a quality 3rd OT in this draft (or FA, if the opportunity presents itself).

We can't go into another season crossing our fingers that Stanley / Brown stay healthy the whole year.
    Hurst looked damn good at LT in 2 games.

OT is on my list for sure, but I think it's a 4th-5th round target for a developmental guy.

And even then you almost have to cut Hurst to keep him.

2020:
    Stanley-Bozeman-Skura-Yanda-Brown
    Mekari-Hurst-Powers

That's your 8 and we typically don't keep 9 (I think the last time we did was when Yanda was injured and we wanted the flexibility of a couple of OG's - we traded for someone from JAX and signed another).

So if you bring in a new OT, who leaves? Won't be Powers or Mekari and is 2.5M enough to cut a guy that played competently for you?
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    WR isn't #1 on the needs list, but in a class like this, you absolutely consider BPA
    Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    I think im cool with going defense all 7 rounds TBH. All of our key offensive players will still be here next year and I'd like to see our current receivers build a good repertoire with Lamar.. also hoping AJ Green is our big splash signing.
    I'd like to answer you both in one post : Yes, if a WR is rated as BPA (in whatever round, hopefully within 1 - 4) then EDC has got to take him. Nothing wrong with a yearly inflow of young WRs to develop as our talented QB gets stronger and more experienced. I'd even add O-line too. As much as I'd like a "defensive draft", you've got to weigh each round/player against the Ravens yardstick of valuation, need, assessment, etc. to get what our brain-trust feels is best for our specific team... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    We don't need to draft a WR. It's all about defense particularly edge rushers, DTs and inside linebackers.
    Sure, but some guys are talented enough that it supersedes need. If Shenault is still there when we draft we should take him, period. He would be ridiculous here.

Blog Entries

Id be happy with our current WR crop if we get some studs in the front 7. We will have a 2013 seahawks/2015 broncos level defense if the offseason is focused on defense.

Our defense right now is pretty damn good don't get me wrong... but imagine a defense as good as the 2015 Broncos with this years offense, there is potential to go unbeaten with that.

It’s crazy, CeeDee is my favorite WR prospect in years and he’s not even gonna be the first off the board

My list btw:

T1. Lamb/Jeudy
    3. Shenault
    4. Ruggs
    5. Higgins
    6. Jefferson

All those guys are first rounders to me though I imagine one or two fall to the top of the second. I don’t have clear cut preferences yet on the day two guys but there’s a ton of talent there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    It’s crazy, CeeDee is my favorite WR prospect in years and he’s not even gonna be the first off the board

My list btw:

T1. Lamb/Jeudy
    3. Shenault
    4. Ruggs
    5. Higgins
    6. Jefferson

All those guys are first rounders to me though I imagine one or two fall to the top of the second. I don’t have clear cut preferences yet on the day two guys but there’s a ton of talent there as well.
    As always when you're end of R1, trade back isn't a bad idea.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I'd be disappointed.

I hear you and I'm nto saying it's wrong, but I've become a beliver in investing in deep classes. I think that's how you find value.

I think Boykin can move around the formation and guys are interchangable now. We could see Boykin in the big slot role even. With his first step to run short routes and RAC it'd be a good fit. If we shot at a real #1 X WR to compliment Brown, I think we do it.

That said, if you do it early, you absoltuely have to inject a lot into WR.

Something like:
    R1 - EDGE / DT
    R2 - ILB (Dye, Oregon)
    R3 - WR
    R4 - EDGE / DT
    R4 comp - sCB / FS

I think we're set if we sign AJ because we have two guys that can stretch the field at that point, putting the defense in quite the conundrum of having to put 8 in the box or leave AJ and Hollywood flying down the field in single coverage and us being so run oriented will help keep him healthy. We could focus entirely on defense in the draft. Seth, Snead and Boykin are all on cheap deals so we would have depth if he did get hurt. Hollywood, AJ and Andrews would be a receiving core that would make a case being one of the best in the league.

A guy like Julian Okwara (DE/OLB Notre Dame), Yetur Gros- Matos (OLB Penn State), or Kenneth Murray (ILB Oklahoma) would all be great, but, I would think it would be awfully hard to pass up on a burner like Ruggs in the 1st to pair with Hollywood. Preferably, it would be one of the defensive guys discussed and Devonta Smith in the 2nd. Smith's hands are impeccable and he was absolutely torching the LSU defense who is star studded with NFL guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    I think we're set if we sign AJ because we have two guys that can stretch the field at that point, putting the defense in quite the conundrum of having to put 8 in the box or leave AJ and Hollywood flying down the field in single coverage and us being so run oriented will help keep him healthy. We could focus entirely on defense in the draft. Seth, Snead and Boykin are all on cheap deals so we would have depth if he did get hurt. Hollywood, AJ and Andrews would be a receiving core that would make a case being one of the best in the league.
    Signing AJ would change quite a bit.

Still think I draft one though. But I hear you.
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Need DE, Linebacker or DT. I'm fine with the Ozzie approach of WR in later rounds.