Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1718192021 ... LastLast

Re: An Even Closer Look: 2020 WR draft class

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I think comparing Duvernay to Steve Smith is irresponsible. Stop that.
    Well if Duvernay ever finds himself enshrined in Canton OH, darb will have a big I Told You So

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    oh yeah that guy... he busted out in 2009 and then did he get injured?

Size/physicality/catch radius type with lazy hands, mediocre athleticism and a limited route tree is my understanding. I haven’t looked too closely at him because I don’t love that profile, so I might be underrating him.
    Waldman comps him to Javon Walker & David Terrell. Notes that he's S Carolina's career leader in catches and yards; a 4-yr starter. They also rotated him in as a punt returner in his junior (12 returns) and senior (7 returns) seasons.

College FB Reference lists him with 3 tackles his Junior year. Spec teams, I wonder?

Here's a couple cut-ups, with comments or questions about a few specific plays:

vs Missouri
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlEgijqrSv0
    This quarterback sucks.
    0:01 - Lined up Z, is this a drop or an uncatchable throw? There's more like this at 0:08 *and* 1:17
    0:57 - In slot (throw way over his head)
    1:48 - Drop or PD?
    3:50 - Lined up X vs off-man, snag away from body and quick transition to runner
    4:12 - Is he lined up at LT in this unbalanced line??? Mirrors in pass-pro vs rush that doesn't come
    4:29 - Lined up X, runs jet sweep

vs Alabama
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNkkH6SJEjY
    0:02 - Runs jet sweep
    0:40 - Third of 3 consec slants he runs, he's a bull at the end of this one
    1:34 - Good play, but does he let the ball get into his body unnecessarily?
    2:27 - Incomplete OOB, but I like how he snatches it over the defender
    3:01 - Jet sweep again, takes half the squad to bring him down. Half of Alabama's squad

Basically Edwards seems like Boykin with a longer track record of production but without the ridiculous SPARQ and with more inconsistent catch technique. And he’s projected to go in the same range.
    Doesn't *look* like Boykin. Doesn't have the same smooth-like-glass movement. He's much more violent. And, more importantly, much greater usage. They're using the hell out of him: inside, outside, deep, slants, sweeps.

He looks like a tough m-f with a high FBIQ. I always think it's noteworthy when a team uses a receiver as a returner; says something about how the coaching staff views him.

Waldman has him #7 in the class, ahead of names I'm more familiar with: Pittman (barely), Raegor, Higgins, Claypool, Aiyuk, etc.

He broke his foot in Feb, training for the Combine, so we don't have a 40 time or 3-cone etc. Those would be really nice to have, to give some context to how he's moving on tape. I can't tell from this short look if he's "just" a high-effort tough competitor, the kind of guy who while admirable is a dime-a-dozen talent-wise and won't be able to contribute on Sundays; or if he's a playmaker. S Carolina used him like they think he's a playmaker. Much of the time I see him digging out tough yards vs gang-tacklers as if he's a JAG. But every once in a while he catches a short pass and takes it to the house against an SEC defense (3:18 on the Missou reel), or elevates over one of Nick Saban's corners to pluck the ball out of the air along the sideline.

The idea of the undervalued gem is enticing. But like I said, I'm not sure what I'm seeing.

I think comparing Duvernay to Steve Smith is irresponsible. Stop that.
    It's a perfect comparison with the size/speed/psychotic playing style ratio.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

The comp to Boykin was in terms of the size, physicality, catch radius, competitiveness, and raw route tree. I said it was without the SPARQ and with a longer track record so idk what you were clarifying by saying he doesn’t have the same smooth movement but has more usage. That’s exactly what I was saying lol. Basically my point was Boykin has all of the same physical strengths Edwards has, and while Edwards is more fully formed, I think Boykin has much more upside. And he’s already on the roster.

I’m just not all that interested in the range in which he’s likely to go, especially given the other WRs who should be available in that range this year.

Bryan Edwards is going to be difficult to judge based on how terrible his QB played. He is the Gamecocks all time leading receiver and obviously has big-play potential.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Bryan Edwards is going to be difficult to judge based on how terrible his QB played. He is the Gamecocks all time leading receiver and obviously has big-play potential.
    Reference - Hayden Hurst, Deebo Samuel

South Carolina is like the Maryland of the SEC. Can't recruit a QB to save their life.

I said it was without the SPARQ and with a longer track record so idk what you were clarifying by saying he doesn’t have the same smooth movement but has more usage. That’s exactly what I was saying lol.
    I guess I just mean, I didn't see Boykin running jet sweeps or returning punts, or flat out plowing into a gang of defenders and driving them back two yards. The play style seems different; though I see there's a usage component too. Maybe it's usage driving style, or something like that. They look like different types of player to me.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Bryan Edwards is going to be difficult to judge based on how terrible his QB played.
    Yeah, just in the few cut-ups I looked at, the throw quality raised questions about what I was seeing. Bad hands or terrible throw?

Edwards makes nice cuts.

Hayden Hurst was running jet sweeps at SC lol. That’s just that offense.

Boykin was bullying NFL defenders all year last year in the run game. He’s physical af.

Boykin was bullying NFL defenders all year last year in the run game. He’s physical af.
    He didn’t run routes physically. I hear you though and you’re not wrong. If he can work on his stride length and come in with thst mentality he’ll be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

He didn’t run routes physically. I hear you though and you’re not wrong. If he can work on his stride length and come in with thst mentality he’ll be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You’re a lot better at this than me, what do you think of Edwards?

Ah. Ok, that's something I didn't know (or didn't put together).

He didn’t run routes physically.
    Yeah: not trying to deny Boykin's phyicality (sheesh: I've been Boykin's biggest hype man here); but Edwards looked like a different style of player to me. Plows into guys, outside of the blocking game.