Page 1 of 43 123 ... LastLast

An Even Closer Look: 2020 WR draft class

Potentially better than 2014? I think so.

Hollywood is nice, and Boykin's got some game, but the Ravens need moar! Please, EDC, don't punt on this one like Ozzie did in 2014.

Shall we use this thread to talk about this position class?

My top 10 (subject to change on more tape, workouts, measurements, etc.):

1. Jerry Jeudy, Alabama
    2. Tee Higgins, Clemson
    3. CeeDee Lamb, Oklahoma
    4. Laviska Shenault, Colorado
    5. Justin Jefferson, LSU
    6. Henry Ruggs, III, Alabama
    7. Devonta Smith, Alabama
    8. Tyler Johnson, Minnesota
    9. Brandon Aiyuk, Arizona State
    10. Jalen Reagor, TCU

Sleeper(ish) - Sage Surratt, Wake Forest

Re: An Even Closer Look: 2020 WR draft class

Personally, I’d really like to see EDC go Defense in the early rounds. We’re in good/great shape at every offensive position group. Defense seems like the bigger priority.

Defense.

Defense heavy, but I think we come away with one WR and I completely agree with Miz.

When you have a deep class you gotta get someone.

You could go front 7 and WR with your first 3 round picks and hit everything. Depth OT and then the rest on D through 4-7.

Round 2 would be a great spot.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

We're looking at probably 5 first round WR's. Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, Shenault, Higgins. Jefferson could move up too.

It's a hell of a class.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    We're looking at probably 5 first round WR's. Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, Shenault, Higgins. Jefferson could move up too.

It's a hell of a class.
    Whens the last time five receivers have went in the first? Seems like the first round is always defense these days

We don't need to draft a WR. It's all about defense particularly edge rushers, DTs and inside linebackers.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Whens the last time five receivers have went in the first? Seems like the first round is always defense these days
    Last 10 years:
    2019 - 2
    2018 - 2
    2017 - 3
    2016 - 4
    2015 - 6 (oddly enough, probably the worst WR draft for the first 2 rounds in a very long time - Cooper, White, Parker, Agholor, Perriman, Dorsett, Smith, Green-Beckham, Funchess)
    2014 - 5 (to compare to Miz bringing up 2014 there was also 7 2nd rounders and 3 3rd rounds. That's 15 in the first 91 picks)
    2013 - 3
    2012 - 4
    2011 - 3
    2010 - 2
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

I certainly agree that all things being equal, I'd lean heavily on defense. However, if an offensive player is much more highly rated by EDC and Co. than the next best defensive player, Ozzie says,"Best Player Available." ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I certainly agree that all things being equal, I'd lean heavily on defense. However, if an offensive player is much more highly rated by EDC and Co. than the next best defensive player, Ozzie says,"Best Player Available." ... Bc
    Bang on.

WR isn't #1 on the needs list, but in a class like this, you absolutely consider BPA
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Last 10 years:
    2019 - 2
    2018 - 2
    2017 - 3
    2016 - 4
    2015 - 6 (oddly enough, probably the worst WR draft for the first 2 rounds in a very long time - Cooper, White, Parker, Agholor, Perriman, Dorsett, Smith, Green-Beckham, Funchess)
    2014 - 5 (to compare to Miz bringing up 2014 there was also 7 2nd rounders and 3 3rd rounds. That's 15 in the first 91 picks)
    2013 - 3
    2012 - 4
    2011 - 3
    2010 - 2
    I think im cool with going defense all 7 rounds TBH. All of our key offensive players will still be here next year and I'd like to see our current receivers build a good repertoire with Lamar.. also hoping AJ Green is our big splash signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    I think im cool with going defense all 7 rounds TBH. All of our key offensive players will still be here next year and I'd like to see our current receivers build a good repertoire with Lamar.. also hoping AJ Green is our big splash signing.
    I'd be disappointed.

I hear you and I'm nto saying it's wrong, but I've become a beliver in investing in deep classes. I think that's how you find value.

I think Boykin can move around the formation and guys are interchangable now. We could see Boykin in the big slot role even. With his first step to run short routes and RAC it'd be a good fit. If we shot at a real #1 X WR to compliment Brown, I think we do it.

That said, if you do it early, you absoltuely have to inject a lot into WR.

Something like:
    R1 - EDGE / DT
    R2 - ILB (Dye, Oregon)
    R3 - WR
    R4 - EDGE / DT
    R4 comp - sCB / FS
    - Ray Lewis