Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Schefter: Dorsey out as Browns GM

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    Baker isn't a tall prototype pocket passer. One year with the Sooners he ran 141 times. He rolls out. The Browns, when Freddie was OC, had Freddie trying to do things that were similar to Oklahoma, and they won the games they should've won if they were a mediocre team and lost the games a mediocre team would lose. They played more bad teams than good when Freddie was OC. That worked well enough.

They brought in Monken as OC and the Browns installed a vertical offense, with Baker throwing downfield a lot. The Bucs offense. Not at all a good fit for Baker. Baker should've been rolling out more, picking up short gains, dump off to Chubb, dump off to Hunt. Big RG, Big RT. Actual, real TEs who played football in college, not basketball. It's good to have 1 big red zone threat who was a basketball player. Sure. I like that. But you also need a big back who can block and a big end who can block. The Ravens have tons of them. The idea that you need to have a young QB (or any QB really) making a choice between 5 receiving options within 2-3 seconds before being sacked - that's hard. Maybe you have blockers who can block for Chubb and Hunt and you do that a lot. You can call Chubb a Fullback and Hunt a Halfback, and you can run plays from decades and decades of the NFL. The Ravens don't throw much, they've got the ultimate run first offense with running QBs and they're winning almost always. They've got TEs and a 300 pound FB. The Browns have a small handful of stars, that little kids could identify, and they have mostly useless JAGs everywhere else. Not anti JAG, just anti Useless JAGs. 3/4s of the offense was to OBJ Landry Chubb and Hunt. Hunt was out half the season, so that number would've been higher if he was there. The Browns could've had Useful JAGs out there to compliment what the 4 stars were doing. But they didn't. And that's largely Dorsey's fault.

How many 200 pound wrs do you need? The Browns had 7. I guess they needed backups to OBJ and Landry (who almost never left the field) and then backups to those backups, and then 1 more backup.

Dorsey then understood that short 200 pound WRs weren't good in Red Zone situations, and then, instead of TEs that could block, he got bigger WR/basketball types, and called them TEs. This was Dorsey's fault. Etc etc etc. If what you're trying to do is convince the most basic football fans that you have a talented roster, and that fan has a brain that can contain 5 names, yes, there are 5 stars on offense. But it requires more than that. That said, the Browns really didn't do all that bad. They'll do better next year because the NFC East is easier than the NFC West. This was a tougher year, schedule wise for the AFC North than 18 was and 20 will be. So, the Browns should do better than 0 wins against the NFC division next year. Unless it's another dumpster fire rebuild. Browns fans don't care much if there is historically bad sucking if it's explained to them beforehand. If the coach promises to jump in Lake Erie, and does it, they won't be mad if he comes back after 1-31. In Cleveland, it appears the fans prefer historically bad to mediocre, especially if the mediocre comes with high expectations driven by Big Stars.
    Their season couldn’t have gotten off to a more inauspicious start. After all of the expectations and all the hype, the Titans beat them in Cleveland with an absolute drubbing 43-13. The difference between last season and this season were the expectations. Losing like that week 1, they recovered from it. They beat the Jets easily the following week. Two weeks later they came into Baltimore and gave them a shellacking. One of two losses was the Browns in Baltimore. For them, big time quality win. Should have been their momentum game. At the quarter point they were 2-2. Maybe not as dominant as what people thought they were going to be out of the gate, but respectable enough to be in the conversation as a team who could still get it together and challenge for the division.

From there the season gets strange. Losers of four straight. After beating the Ravens they are handed a beat down from the 49ers. The next game they blow a big lead to Seattle and lose, then the Patriots beat them the following game in one of the more demoralizing beginning to a game you’ll see. Then Denver beats them.

Left for dead they come back to life and win the next three including wins against the Steelers and Bills. All of a sudden they’re 5-6 with a soft enough schedule to still get into the postseason. At week 12 the Browns have underperformed, but they can still finish strong. There is no indication aside from the Garrett incident that their dysfunction is getting the best of the entire team yet at this point since they crushed Miami the following week.

To close the season they end up losing four out of five. The defense surrenders 30+ points the last three games, including a low point season finale loss to the previously 1 win Bengals.

All of this to say the construction of the roster doesn’t appear to be enough of the issue in my eyes. The offensive line was a problem and they don’t have that TE that Mayfield probably needs. The defense didn’t play hard in December. You fire Dorsey for that? I don’t believe that Mayfield has the problem of too many weapons who don’t have prototypical body sizes. I believe that when you’re building something you decide and collaborate with people you respect on what you want your vision to be, you create the blueprint, you start building it, and you have to be a little bit patient with so many moving pieces being brought together harmoniously.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Good truck stops tho......

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Flying J and pilot were fixtures of my drives between NJ and Penn state

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    The key is people who want to win and don't care who gets the credit.
    Which might be Harbs greatest strength.

4. Re: Schefter: Dorsey out as Browns GM

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Yep, big mistake firing Dorsey IMO when he has built a very good roster. His mistake was keeping Hue and rolling with kittens.
    The Browns roster is NOT VERY GOOD.

If you stop looking at the roster after a handful of stars, you might think the roster is very good. It isn't.

2 expensive receivers. 5 backup receivers who are nearly the same as the starters. Those backup receivers are almost completely useless. All the receivers are 200 pounds.

But the Browns know that they need tall WRs. They have them. They call them TEs. D Harris played basketball in college. No football. Ricky Seals Jones was a top basketball player in high school, Parade AA. And in college, he was a solid, big WR for Texas A&M. No TEs who can block. Is that Freddies fault?

If you want a big WR, why don't you not have 5 backup WRs who all weight 200 pounds? Why don't you take that WR Seals-Jones you have as a TE, and keep him as a WR like he was in college? And that way you have a roster spot for a normal TE who can block.

The main problem with the Browns this year is that, despite the fact that they had 2 very good RBs, they were massively awful in goal line situations because they had no blocking at the End and Back positions. The Ravens were able to put Lamar in with Ricard, TEs Hurst, Boyle and Andrews and OL Hurst and run the ball. The Browns have a guy (and I don't know if this is a joke) who is listed on PFF as a Fullback, and he is listed at 207 pounds. Who is in charge of that roster? Is this the great roster that Dorsey put together? a 207 pound fullback?

The Browns did win 6 games, fewer than last year, but close. You can look at specific losses. A loss to the Rams, early in the season. The Browns were down by 7 points. Less than 2 minutes left. 1st and goal from the 4. Plenty of timeouts. For the Ravens, that's a piece of cake. They run 4 times (if necessary) and they score a TD. Definitely. Here's what the Browns did. 1st down. Empty Set. Throw. Incomplete. 2nd down. Empty Set. Throw. Incomplete. 3rd down. Empty Set. Throw. Incomplete. 4th down. Empty Set. Throw. Interception. Browns lose. It was clear at the beginning of the season that the Browns just did not have what was needed to run the ball in goal line situations. That was Dorseys fault, and the Browns lost at least that game, and probably others, because Dorsey failed to understand that football teams need to be able to run the ball in short yardage goal line situations. This is not disputable. He added an expensive star WR to the team, and picked up Hunt, who had off the field troubles that scared other teams away. He used the top pick on Baker. Decent enough choice, the other real option was Darnold, based on what the media would've allowed him to do. The oline got worse when he was there, he traded away a very good RG and his top 2nd draft pick OL never played a snap in the regular season, despite being there for 1.5 years.

No, for all the top assets that Sashi was able to accumulate for Dorsey to spend, the roster that Dorsey built was NOT VERY GOOD. I was there, saying who to pick. My picks were better. He took a lot of the same players. I wanted to play around with the picks at the top of the first to allow the Browns to pick Baker, Saquon and Lamar. Backup 2nd round RB was Chubb. And I wanted OL Brian O'Neill who was a top sparq Tackle who the Vikings took instead of Corbett. O'Neill is a starter for the playoff Vikings with a PFF of 70.8.

Chudzinski now that was a hire......

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Which might be Harbs greatest strength.
    Indeed. Harbaugh has truly stayed true to his philosophy and may be the next best coach in football if Belichick loses his thunder after Brady.

7. Re: Schefter: Dorsey out as Browns GM

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Their season couldn’t have gotten off to a more inauspicious start. After all of the expectations and all the hype, the Titans beat them in Cleveland with an absolute drubbing 43-13. The difference between last season and this season were the expectations. Losing like that week 1, they recovered from it. They beat the Jets easily the following week. Two weeks later they came into Baltimore and gave them a shellacking. One of two losses was the Browns in Baltimore. For them, big time quality win. Should have been their momentum game. At the quarter point they were 2-2. Maybe not as dominant as what people thought they were going to be out of the gate, but respectable enough to be in the conversation as a team who could still get it together and challenge for the division.

From there the season gets strange. Losers of four straight. After beating the Ravens they are handed a beat down from the 49ers. The next game they blow a big lead to Seattle and lose, then the Patriots beat them the following game in one of the more demoralizing beginning to a game you’ll see. Then Denver beats them.

Left for dead they come back to life and win the next three including wins against the Steelers and Bills. All of a sudden they’re 5-6 with a soft enough schedule to still get into the postseason. At week 12 the Browns have underperformed, but they can still finish strong. There is no indication aside from the Garrett incident that their dysfunction is getting the best of the entire team yet at this point since they crushed Miami the following week.

To close the season they end up losing four out of five. The defense surrenders 30+ points the last three games, including a low point season finale loss to the previously 1 win Bengals.

All of this to say the construction of the roster doesn’t appear to be enough of the issue in my eyes. The offensive line was a problem and they don’t have that TE that Mayfield probably needs. The defense didn’t play hard in December. You fire Dorsey for that? I don’t believe that Mayfield has the problem of too many weapons who don’t have prototypical body sizes. I believe that when you’re building something you decide and collaborate with people you respect on what you want your vision to be, you create the blueprint, you start building it, and you have to be a little bit patient with so many moving pieces being brought together harmoniously.
    "they came into Baltimore and gave them a shellacking." I wouldn't call it that. In the 4th Q, the Ravens were down 24-18. I'd argue that shellackings have larger margins that late in the game. What happened in that game was the Ravens had the ball, scored a TD, in the 4th Q, Browns had the ball, score is 24-18, and, boom, Chubb runs for an 88 yard TD. If the Browns had maybe just gone 3 and out instead of 88 yard TD, Ravens get the ball on the punt, at about their own 40, and go into their normal run first offense with plenty of time left, maybe they have one of their massive time killing drives, score a TD, and win 25-24. The Ravens were down 30-18, Lamar felt the heat, and threw 2 picks after that. If the game is 24-18, in the 4th, not a shellacking.

Before the Ravens game, the Browns were 1-2, and Browns fans were saying this was a "must win" and their season would be ruined if they didn't win. The week before that was the Rams game that the Browns failed to win because their short yardage run game was so pathetic because Dorsey didn't know how important blocking was to the short yardage run game.

The Browns fans were able to analyze the schedule before the season and were able to determine that the first half of the schedule was difficult, and the second half of the season was easy. Losing to 9ers, Seahawks and Patriots would've been expected. Losing to the Titans week 1 was unexpected, beating the Ravens was unexpected. In reality, the Broncos game was the first real loss that put them behind par. At the time, the Titans looked worse than it turned out to be, with the Titans going to the playoffs.

I'm reading through your post here, not sure if there's a point. They lost then they won then they lost. Yeah.

You didn't analyze the roster. I'll repeat. They needed that Rams win. It was within their grasp. They had the ball 1st and goal from the 4 with under 2 minutes. That's a run situation. They passed 4 times, failed and lost. That's 100% Dorsey's fault. I don't want to go through the play by plays of games the Browns lost to find FGs where there should've been TDs because the goal line run offense was so bad.

Let me just tell you that I'm right, and that the run blocking from the Ends and the Backs was poor and there's no way any reasonable person would possibly think that it would've been adequate. It was Dorsey's job to make sure that there were adequate blocking TE JAGs on the roster. And one adequate FB JAG (or a shorter TE JAG, but also heavy. A 6'7 230 pound college basketball player is not a TE, he's a WR. Anyway. I was paying attention to the Browns all year, and I knew the roster weaknesses all year. The Browns also lacked BIG PLAYERS in the middle of the defensive line, and their run defense suffered because of that. The Browns, on both sides of the ball were simply too small. And that's Dorsey's fault.

I don't think that you know enough about the Browns. Your comments are generally superficial, based mostly on the scores of games. At some point the Browns fans started rooting for losses. That didn't help, but the biggest problem was the fact that the mostly JAGs roster was too small and too light. You didn't bother actually looking at the games themselves because your belief was that the roster was good. It wasn't good. They traded good pieces for a $17 Million dollar WR and were the team to pick up the ladykickingest RB. And there were so, so many 200 pound WRs, and a 207 pound FB. The Browns were extremely reliant on big plays from big stars to win, and they just didn't win enough games. Garrett swinging the helmet didn't help, but if he was there, it wouldn't have helped.

They needed to win over the Ravens at the end of the season, and that simply was not going to happen.

Looking closely at the last 5 games, when they lost to the Steelers on the road, this was after Garrett was suspended, they were done. And they probably should've lost to the Steelers at the Steelers. Comparable teams, on the road. And then the fans gave up, and stopped rooting for the Browns to win in order to not be a losing team for the first time in 12 years, and started rooting for Freddie to be fired, because rooting for losses and rooting for the coach to be fired is more natural for them than rooting for a non losing record. They should've beaten the Cardinals and the Bengals, but they didn't, the fans wanted losses. Being losers every year is not a problem for Browns fans, it doesn't bother them, they don't think "well, .500 is the best in over a decade, I'm kinda happy" They think "but we have so much talent." But they don't have so much talent. You don't need 5 identical backup WR JAGs when you have OBJ and Landry who never leave the field even if they're dinged up. You remove 2 200 pound JAG WRs, you add 2 taller WR JAGs (maybe the 2 JAG TEs) then you put 2 blocking JAG TEs in there so that you're not guaranteed to fail at rushing from inside the 5. They did that over and over. It was clearly a failure by Dorsey. I don't dislike Ricky Seals Jones and D Harris. They're just WRs, not TEs, and Dorsey doesn't understand that, and there were no blocking TEs. The Browns had Fells, Charles and DeValve last year at the TE spot, Dorsey let them all go, and the Browns suffered. More roster spots were made worse by Dorsey, than they were made better.

How hard is it to find a JAG blocking TE at any time in the season. The Raiders were able to find Eric Tomlinson in the middle of the season, I can't tell you for sure how good he is at blocking, but he's a TE, and he's 263 pounds, so there's at least a fighting chance he can block. Dorsey did nothing at any point when the Browns were failing over and over inside the 5 with the run game.

"What you want your vision to be" Dorsey's vision was WRONG. Dorsey's vision was TOO SMALL. Dorsey's vision COULD NOT STOP THE RUN UP THE MIDDLE. Dorsey's vision was TOO RELIANT ON BIG PLAYS. Dorsey's vision COULD NOT RUN BLOCK FROM THE END AND BACK POSITIONS. Dorsey's vision HAD TOO FEW CHECKDOWNS FOR YOUNG QB BAKER. Dorsey's vision had TOO MUCH VERTICAL PASSING. And I could see that in the preseason. It was the "small stars" offense. Get the ball to 3 or 4 stars. Sometimes it works (did against the Ravens the first time, there were many big plays) but that plan is a risky plan, and it didn't work enough times. And even when there was a big play, if that big play is not a TD, but the Browns are stopped at the 1 foot line, the Browns were screwed, because there weren't a couple of blocking JAGs to help Chubb because Dorsey's vision didn't include any of that.

8. Re: Schefter: Dorsey out as Browns GM

As an aside, I'll mention this again, I mentioned this before, I thought they should've kept Freddie and kept Dorsey, but I didn't think that Dorsey did any better than Freddie. If you're going to wave the "we love discontinuity" flag, you might as well wave it fully. I wouldn't have traded Peppers and the first for OBJ. I thought that Dexter Lawrence was the perfect choice for the Browns to replace Danny Shelton, and the Browns thought it was best to not be able to stop the run. As it turned out, Dexter Lawrence ended up with a 76.1, pretty solid, and it was the Giants who took him, using the Browns pick. He was taken where he should've been. If all the GM had to do was put together a 53 man roster, I would've done better than Dorsey with the resources Dorsey was given. The Browns wouldn't have had OBJ, but they would've gotten Terrelle Pryor back. They would've had Ogbah, Peppers, Lawrence, Zeitler, Brian O'Neill. Getting Greg Robinson ended up working out. Not having OBJ would've meant more cap room in the future. Lamar decided not to run and that crushed his ability to be taken with the 1/1 and the 1/4. I would've tried to squeeze more value out of the 1/1 and 1/4. The fans want that big prize #1. "Don't get cute" they say. Just take the best one. And the GM is just not allowed to make that decision. It's the media's decision. and Lamar was not a "Big 4" The Big 4 was Baker, Darnold, Allen and Rosen. So, if I was the GM, I was screwed with that pick. A QB MUST be taken with the 1/1. And the GM was left with only 4 choices. If Lamar ran, that would've provided some possible way for him to stay in the Big 5, but it didn't happen. As I had it, I wanted to trade down, ending with 1/4, 1/5, 1/12, Giants take Rosen with the 1/1, Jets take Darnold with 1/2, Broncos take Allen with 1/3, Browns take Baker with 1/4, Browns take Barkley with 1/5, Browns take Lamar with 1/12. But that didn't happen. There was a time there that Rosen wasn't far fetched for the Giants up there, but it didn't happen. The Browns easily could've gotten Lamar by trading up, I would've overpaid for him at 1/12, but I wouldn't have had the resources to get that pick, but I could've bundled the 2/1 with almost anything to get into the bottom of the first. I was good with Baker at 1/1 and Ward at 1/4, Ward was my top D, and sometimes media + fans are something you just can't get around. Especially if you're new.

If I wasn't new, I'd have a big room with a lot of Taysom Hills, running QBs who don't really actually play QB, but they're in the room, being trained, ready to be moved up the list when there are injuries, and I'd have my QBs running 26 times a game without a care in the world because there are just so many next man ups. I would've had Taysom Hill because I wanted him with a 7th rounder, and I always want all the running QBs - the best runners - with the 7ths, and I love those 7ths, and I'll get a ton of them if I can. I'm really quite good with my 7ths and udfas. I probably would've missed Ricard, but I would have a bunch of Ricard types, I'd have a coach whose job it is to train the high sparq Dliners to play offense, all the "who is that?" top sparq guys would be taken in the 7th. Hit or miss, the hits would be good. LT Villanueva might've been blocking TE Villanueva. And Zack Banner would be there somewhere. I had the Raiders taking Waller in the draft back then, maybe the Ravens would have him now if the Raiders took him then. It's hard to find out personality issues from sparq numbers. Not all my picks are in the NFL. Sokoli would've been tried as a Ricard. Fant. But all the fast, top sparq QBs would've been on the team at some point, they might come and go, but they'd be there. Tebow and Kaepernick would be there, Terrelle Pryor of course, and they'd all be running to the max, very famous record setters getting paid like they're JAGs, next man up. The Ravens could do a lot worse than having Malcolm Perry, Navy QB, 2000+ yard rushing season running as often as Lamar did last year. If the Ravens actually "revolutionized" things, wouldn't there be a revolution? As opposed to "yes, Greg Roman's system is still great, lets ignore that". We'll see what happens. I argue with people about whether Lamar is the fastest QB. My list of QBs is not the short list of NFL starting QBs. It includes guys who were college running QBs who should be in the NFL in line with the other running QBs taking snaps at various spots while training with a Tom House type in the offseason and sitting in a big QB room. (Of the various NFL starting QBs, I'd say Lamar is probably the fastest, but Kyler might be. Outside chance Taysom is.) But Justin Thomas who is now a XFL WR for the DC team ran a 4.35 pro day 40, and Terrelle Pryor, who gets injured when he's in his own apartment, but is Great when he's healthy, ran a 4.38 pro day - on a wet field - and a hand timed 4.2x at a Jets tryout a few years back. A whole bunch of TE/QBs, Logan Thomas, Blake Bell, Tyrone Swoopes, Jason Vander Laan, Tyree Jackson would've been on the team. If Cam Newton and Marcus Mariota become cheap, I'd get them. I'd spend on high sparq big guys with Ricard talent, and QB talent in high school (top 1% sparq, huge, can't be tackled, incredible balance, and can throw) I suspect those guys are rare. Is that Scherff? Scherff is said to be incredibly strong as a guard, and was a hs qb, video of him running from QB does exist, and throwing. If you have a ton of multifunctional QB talent doing a lot of running, I'm not sure why the Ends wouldn't be very big, possession wrs. The Ravens have so many 330 pounders on defense. I'd have that. You're allowed to push the runners in the NFL now. How close can you get to the flying V these days? Oliners can do everything but catch a forward pass, and the existing oline structures are not rules at all but convention. You don't have to snap between your legs and the center doesn't need to be near other linemen or face forward. you could put small players on the oline and big players in the backfield. All players could have 2 numbers, eligible and ineligible. There's a lot that can be done that has been done before and largely forgotten. Greg Roman is in the lead.

9. Re: Schefter: Dorsey out as Browns GM

Dorsey got fired because he didn't listen and pay close attention to one person posting on the Browns message board on draft day 2018. He took Corbett with the first pick of the 2nd round instead of doing this

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-...727959/?page=1

I don't start many threads at all anywhere.

Do click that link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    Dorsey got fired because he didn't listen and pay close attention to one person posting on the Browns message board on draft day 2018. He took Corbett with the first pick of the 2nd round instead of doing this

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-...727959/?page=1

I don't start many threads at all anywhere.

Do click that link.
    I said it at the time the two QB's I wanted no part of were Rosen and Mayfield. The Browns can fire everyone but their qb remains a problem

11. Re: Schefter: Dorsey out as Browns GM

One theory I'm formulating here.

DePo has always been in charge.

DePo is the baseball guy, the strategist. And has been involved doing important strategic things for quite a few years now, taking the team through stages of development.

Step 1 was to suck and get resources for stage 2. That was the Sashi era. There were a ton of resources handed to the guy in charge of stage 2. Stage 1 was not to win. Stage 2 was the Dorsey era. It is not clear whether or not the point of stage 2 was to win. There was certainly a lot of hype, but again, not clear that stage 2 was to win.

What stage 2 might have been would be to get some position groups really really squared away.

And to completely hollow out other position groups.

Key fact. Why would the Browns, who have a starting QB who is really not at all an extremely dynamic runner who is the key to the Ravens offense, be interviewing Greg Roman? But they are. Some go "well, he's competent, so, maybe he's not going to be able to bring his top of the line running QB A game, but he's competent." I don't think that's it. Greg Roman is excellent, not only at running QBs, but look at the rest of the roster. Andrews, Hurst, Boyle, Ricard. That package of 4 players is what the Browns have absolutely none of and the Ravens have a ton of. Also, the Ravens have strength at LT, RG, RT. RG and RT are big weaknesses of the Browns. I think Greg Robinson is solid at LT, others disagree. But RG and RT are definitely bad. If the Browns were to get Greg Roman, they'd want Greg Roman to fix things on offense, they'd want him to fix RG, RT, TE, TE, TE, FB.

I've been wondering for a long time how Dorsey could be so stupid that he didn't understand at all how a 6'7 230 pound college basketball player could be a TE. I'm not against 6'7 230 pound basketball players being Big Red Zone Threats. I actually encourage things like that. But 230 pounds for a 6'7 pass catcher is really slim, without knowing anything, you'd know that there is no way he can block anyone except DBs. And if he can only block DBs, he's not a TE. He's a WR. I remember Ricky Seals-Jones. I liked him on the Aggies. He was good. He was not a TE. He was a WR. Nothing happened to him, he's still a WR. I don't know if he's a 225 pound WR or a 240 pound WR, but he's a WR. Pharoah Brown was a TE. For some reason, he almost never played. Carlson was a Princeton WR, a bit undersized for the TE position.

Hey, there is no way that putting tall WRs at the TE position could possibly be an intentional move for years. This was, in part, an addition. The Browns have, basically 10 WRs when they need 5 or so. There were 16 games to determine who the best 5 of those 10 WRs are.

OBJ, Landry, are 2, they both play the "small WR" position, but, let's skip that. I think Ricky Seals Jones did well enough to keep his job at the Split End type wide receiver position. They'll figure out who passed the audition. They certainly have 2 quality RBs. No need to shop for that one. They do have no Fullback.

So, a bunch of JAG WRs get cut. But what's left is the cream of the crop. Solid quality. If they want to downgrade because costs too much, they are in a position to do that. There is nothing at TE. Pharaoh Brown is basically nothing, rarely played, he is a TE, but, let's just call it a completely bare cupboard there. (Well Njoku, actually, but) It's clear that blocking TE or 2 or 3 is needed. And it's clear that FB is needed. And those things are cheap. But they know what the task at hand is. Was Dorsey in Kansas City the year when the Chiefs had something like no touchdowns to the WRs? And now they have receivers? Hollow out a position group, and then fill the position group. Overweight in one area, underweight in another area. Intentionally, because you're not really trying to win.

Why did the Browns / Dorsey draft Corbett with the top pick of the 2nd round and then never, ever play him in a regular season game? That makes no sense. Maybe Corbett might be good at Right Guard or Right Tackle, when clearly Right Guard and Right Tackle were complete garbage? Why not give him a try when Kush and Hubbard were terrible? Because Corbett coming in and doing adequately would complicate the plan, and the plan was to fix the RG and RT positions next year. The Browns would be tempted to keep Corbett, and the plan was to go in a different direction. Easier to just get rid of Corbett who didn't fit the plan.

And now the Browns are interviewing Greg Roman.

Greg Roman does not work with Baker. He's competent, yes, but you aren't buying competence at something for head coach, when what you want is excellence.

And here is the key, and probably very painful question for many Ravens fans. Do the Ravens work with Lamar without Greg Roman? I don't know. Can whoever the Ravens have left do run first offense with running QBs as well as Greg Roman with whatever position coaches the Ravens have? No, I don't think so. What might you see with the Ravens without Greg Roman? Lamar would likely be passing more and running less. To the best of my knowledge there is no secret cadre of run first offense with running QBs supporters who have a whole ton of great ideas about how to make that work and make the new 21st Century offense, but they're holding out on implementing those ideas for no apparent reason at all. Those coaches might exist, but they're not in the NFL. Kaepernick, Taylor, Lamar + Greg Roman = top rushing teams and success. And Greg Roman is pushing the limits and getting better at it. The assistants in Baltimore are likely learning from Greg Roman, but I kinda doubt that there is a real whole lot of teaching from the assistants to Greg Roman, I'm guessing it's pretty much one way. So, if Greg Roman goes, you'll have people who likely have the generic NFL competency, which generally means an understanding of the NFL's pass first ways, plus they'll have what they learned from Greg Roman. There might be a coach in Baltimore who achieved a mind meld with Roman, and who has become a Roman clone, but I would guess that probably didn't happen.

So, where are we? We have Roman interviewing with the Browns. And the Browns could hire him, despite the fact that Baker is not the QB for Roman. But Alex Smith wasn't the QB for Roman either. He was the QB, and then the right QB came in, and the wrong QB went out.

Anybody starting to see where I'm going with this?

If the Browns give Greg Roman the HC job, which, now that I'm figuring this out, I now recommend the Browns do, because, although initially it doesn't really help the Browns all that much, what it does do, is really really hurt the division rival the Ravens. (Browns fans will cut off their nose to spite their face if it hurts a division rival).

And here's where it gets even more tricky, and it's something that the Browns have thought through. What happens next?

12. Re: Schefter: Dorsey out as Browns GM

The Browns have Greg Roman. Greg Roman is a full 100% winning genius with Lamar. Greg Roman has Baker Mayfield. Baker Mayfield was a great passer in college and he did set a rookie touchdown record. If he is paired with the right system and not the wrong system, he could be quite good. If he's surrounded by top talent, he could be strong for a decade. Greg Roman could pull something together to get maybe .500 maybe a little better with Baker. But I don't see that Roman Baker pairing working full Greg Roman winning almost always 100% genius. And what's happening in Baltimore? They're trying. But they're worse. And there's nothing they can do to fix that with Lamar. Greg Roman is just flat out better with Lamar than anyone else in the NFL. The Ravens might still be better than the Browns, the tier below Greg Roman version of run first offense with running QBs might (and probably would, I think) get more wins than the Baker Mayfield / Alex Smith (hey, what about current Alex Smith, is he permanently destroyed? He's better than Stanton and Gilbert if he cat walk) version of the Browns. But the Browns w/ Roman and the wrong QB are arrow up and the Ravens with the right QB and the wrong coach (they might be the best possible alternative, but they're still not the right coach, that's Greg Roman, unless someone else appears) are arrow down. Arrow down is not what the Ravens want and Lamar is on track, if the new coaches aren't completely on top of their game, to not coming back after 5 years. Ravens are now in a position where they pretty much have to .... have to .... what .... make .... a .... what .... trade. It's really the only solution and the Browns are in a superior bargaining position, and what the Browns have are stars at the star positions that the NFL media loves so much that they think that the Browns are going to make the playoffs. Most teams did not want Lamar Jackson despite the fact that his passer rating was better than Josh Rosen and Josh Allen, and he was and is an amazingly dynamic runner, and now, is proven to win at an awesome rate. But with Greg Roman. NFL coaches like their old playbooks and they don't have plays for Lamar Jackson in them. Having Lamar Jackson means extra work in a league they call a passing league. Lamar Jackson crushing it 100% and people say that the near Heisman winning Jalen Hurts is a day 3 pick. If there's a "revolution", and a revolution would result in college coaches who know how to do running QB getting NFL coaching jobs and top college running QBs getting pushed up draft boards. If Jalen Hurts is day 3, it doesn't look like revolution.

So, if Greg Roman goes to the Browns, basically, Lamar should go with him. It's what's right. The new OC in Baltimore whoever it is might be happy to not have to do QB running plays.

The Browns have a few players that the Ravens might like. Obvious would be Lamar for Baker. But both the Ravens and the Browns would need a lot more to make the systems work. The Browns have star WRs who Lamar is proven to not need. OBJ and/or Landry to the Ravens. The Browns have 2 RBs that they might want to keep, but, they're there. The Ravens with Baker probably don't need all those excellent TEs and FB. Some of Andrews, Hurst, Boyle and Ricard would be going to the Browns.

If Greg Roman goes to the Browns, expect trade of Lamar + TE/FB for Baker + WR.

And, the same thing applies anywhere Greg Roman goes. Kaepernick sucked the minute Greg Roman left. He wasn't really bad, stats wise, but the team just lost almost always. 2 NFC Championship games or better, then 8-8, last year with Roman, 2-6 and 1-10 without Roman.

Whereever Roman goes, if he goes somewhere, Lamar would be better off with Roman, and Roman would be better off with Lamar (there are exceptions, desire to try multiple running QBs, cheap, replaceable JAGs, on a team that has no QBs, no extra WRs or QB to trade), and the Ravens would be worse off without Roman, and might not want to try to make it work with a QB they really don't know how to work with.

If the Ravens want to prevent this, they should start paying Greg Roman a lot of money. Their offense is so extremely dependent on Roman to work perfectly. I'm not saying that Roman should leave. I think that the Ravens should continue to keep the dream team together and work on a dynasty. 4 Super Bowls in the next 4 years is plausible, not likely because any given Sunday, but what the Ravens have should work for that period of time. If Lamar is making huge money by endorsements and ads and deals, he might not need as much contract money (see Brady), which would allow the Ravens to spend a lower % of the cap on Lamar, which would allow dynasty to continue post Lamar's rookie contract. If Lamar is winning Super Bowls on top of MVPs, there's a decent chance he gets big endorse money.

Anyway, Roman pretty much can't leave.