Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Re: Schefter: Dorsey out as Browns GM

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    Agree with you. By intentionally sucking for 2 years 16-17, Dorsey really had so many resources, picks and cap room, in 18. In 18 draft, which was really more than 2 drafts worth of draft picks, at least JJ draft value points wise, Dorsey was really able to buy a lot of players, but last year, he traded those picks, and bought a free agent of 2. He made lateral movements. If you get OBJ, you have to pay him $17 Million a year, and you have to give up Peppers and a 1st round pick, that's a lot.

Regarding what to do with OBJ, I couldn't guess. I guess it depends on the new coach and the new GM, the case could be made either way, but we don't know. He's good. Does having OBJ there prevent the Browns from having a normal amount of blocking? It shouldn't. But this year they scooped out all the blockers at TE and FB. I prefer the running QB, so the things that fit with that are best to me. I dunno. A not tall, super expensive WR who is very similar to another not tall super expensive WR wouldn't be the way I'd go, even if those 2 guys are friends in college. The Browns have non blocking pass catchers at TE perhaps because they understand the fact that not tall WRs aren't best in red zone. They're spending over $30 M a year on WRs, and they still need a different kind of pass catcher for the red zone. It seems like a lot of money for something that isn't versatile, but those tall guys they got could be WRs, not TEs, and they're cheap.
    I think the biggest mistake Dorsey made was drafting Baker over Sam Darnold.

Quote Originally Posted by Continuity Steve View Post
    Oh please, cut it out with the I'm right, listen to me crap.

First, if something only happens once in the history of the league in a specialty scenario where a new head coach wanted the guy he coached in college and the selection was made in the supplemental draft instead of the original draft as it played out, I don't think it's something you can use to prove your point. If anything, it's more the equivalent of using the number one overall pick two years in a row on a quarterback if one happened to be a bust. The Cowboys were fortunate to trade Walsh for picks, but lost out on the number 1 overall pick in the following draft.

Second, you're using the benefit of hindsight to justify that you would have been right. Which is funny, because if your argument to justify it, you used a scenario in which the second quarterback drafted, Walsh, could never get playing time because he was stuck behind the first quarterback, Aikman. In your proposed scenario, Lamar never gets the playing time to blossom. For someone who is all in on "running quarterbacks," do you really think Cleveland had the pieces in place to properly develop both players? What your scenario does is create a messy situation for a team who can't seem to avoid making messy situations, yet you think it would somehow have gotten them out of a mess?

Third, you have the benefit of hindsight again for Corbett. You had no way of knowing at the time who they would pick and how that player would develop.

Fourth, you don't know that all it would have taken was a 6th in any scenario. You're using a chart to make some sort of fantasy what-if claim. You weren't 100% right that a 6th was all it would take, because neither team was interested in that trade. It takes two to tango, and a trade won't happen when neither team shows up to the dance.

Frankly, I'm wondering if you're not the homeless guy that talked Haslam into drafting Manziel. A fascination with running quarterbacks, a sense of always being 100% right, and an overbearing insistence that people always listen to you. Yeah, that has to be it. Honestly, your tone is getting to be very off putting. I can respect that you love running quarterbacks and want the QB to run the ball 26 times a game. Despite over relying on Lamar as a runner leading to lower yards per carry last season, despite that 26 attempts only leading to 24 points, and despite our greatest margins of victory coming when Lamar goes off as a passer and supplements it with running, I can respect that you enjoy that style of play more. I can respect that you were right about Lamar, even though you only use hindsight in your arguments and presently desire to use him in the least efficient way possible. What I can't respect is this I'm always right tone. You're rambling while taking positions completely out of the orthodox and coming up with unusual conspiracy theories, and it isn't making you friends here. I actually think you have a lot of nice insight and can bring a lot to the board, but please, tone down the attitude a bit.
    God bless you!

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    NOPE.

Exactly how many talented Right Guards and Right Tackles and Tight Ends that were as big as Tight Ends who weren't college basketball players or college wide receivers, and could block is OBJ (who costs $17 Million a year) worth?

If you think that OBJ counts as 5, then there's a "ton" of talent.

I don't. OBJ is smallish, really expensive, and he had to trade a first round pick and Peppers to get him.

If the Browns signed OBJ for $17 Million a year, that would be one thing. But they didn't. They had to trade for him. They gave players up, and they're paying a ton.

Do the Ravens need to spend huge amounts of money on wide receivers in order to win almost always? No. Maybe it's just bad football thinking to think that really expensive receivers = wins. When OBJ was with the Giants, did the Giants ususally have a winning record or a losing record? The answer? Losing.

Just because NFL media gets all excited about star WRs and QBs who have a lot of passing yards, what actually works? Well, look at the Ravens. I'd say 14-2 = works. The Super Bowl hasn't happened yet, and if the Super Bowl doesn't happen, someone could argue that what the Ravens are doing doesn't work, but, really, it does work. The Ravens aren't built around smallish WRs who cost a lot.

A little kid who knows something about football might be able to determine that OBJ is good, and that you need to pay a lot to get good players. Little kids know who the Stars are. And Dorsey, too, knows who the Stars are. Hooray for Dorsey, he knows who the stars are. I don't think that all little kids that know that OBJ is a star should be GMs.

Dorsey was given a lot of resources, a whole lot of resources, 1/1 1/4 2/1 and 2/4 picks in 2018. Even if they didn't have the extra picks, the 1/1 and 2/1 comes close to the top. The Browns intentionally depleted the roster in order to get a great talent picker so many resources to create a window for success. Garrett came in the year before Dorsey. No credit to Dorsey for him.
    Sashi Brown really built the current Browns talent. He got Garrett and all the draft capital Dorsey used to build the current Browns. Sashi Brown and his “analytics plan” is what got them here now. Apprently when presented to Haslam, they told him “not to watch a Browns game” for a few seasons so as to discourage intervention while a rebuild occured.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple_Bird View Post
    Sashi Brown really built the current Browns talent. He got Garrett and all the draft capital Dorsey used to build the current Browns. Sashi Brown and his “analytics plan” is what got them here now. Apprently when presented to Haslam, they told him “not to watch a Browns game” for a few seasons so as to discourage intervention while a rebuild occured.
    I totally agree. Sashi Brown had a plan. He was on the right track. Haslam didn't have the patience to see it through. Sashi Brown's "sin" was passing on first round QBs. I believe that's what got him fired. Thankfully, Mahomes isn't a Brown.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5. Re: Schefter: Dorsey out as Browns GM

Quote Originally Posted by Meanie Bigjae View Post
    I think the biggest mistake Dorsey made was drafting Baker over Sam Darnold.
    I don't think one is much better than the other.

His biggest mistake was the big trade Zeitler + Peppers + 1st round pick for OBJ and Vernon.

If they just would've stayed pat instead of making the splash trade they would've had a good IOL, Peppers doing his thing at SS where he was coming into his own, and a 1st round pick they could've used to match the production OBJ or Vernon ended up brining themselves. They basically created more holes than they fixed all while taking on a boat load more salary.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    I don't think one is much better than the other.

His biggest mistake was the big trade Zeitler + Peppers + 1st round pick for OBJ and Vernon.

If they just would've stayed pat instead of making the splash trade they would've had a good IOL, Peppers doing his thing at SS where he was coming into his own, and a 1st round pick they could've used to match the production OBJ or Vernon ended up brining themselves. They basically created more holes than they fixed all while taking on a boat load more salary.
    Those were separate trades. They could've kept Zeitler and still gotten obj if they wanted him that bad.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Dorsey put together a 'ego' roster that no rookie head coach could control.

Chris MortensenVerified account @mortreport 39m39 minutes agoMore

The @Browns have decided to officially part ways with assistant GM Elliot Wolf and VP/personnel Alonzo Highsmith now that Andrew Berry has been hired as GM, per sources

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post

The @Browns have decided to officially part ways with assistant GM Elliot Wolf and VP/personnel Alonzo Highsmith now that Andrew Berry has been hired as GM, per sources
    so... starting over. groundhog day in believeland

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post

I don't blame Andrew Berry for getting rid of those guys. I wouldn't be surprised if both of them wanted the GM job. I wouldn't trust either of them to not undermine me if I were Berry. He should bring in his own people that he trusts. Then, if he fails, it is because he couldn't get the job done.
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Dorsey put together a 'ego' roster that no rookie head coach could control.
    He would have been better off, putting together an Eggo roster.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    He would have been better off, putting together an Eggo roster.
    Or a Lego roster - at least they'd have some familiarity with blocks...

Speaking of a Rube Goldberg franchise --

(Leggo my Eggo!)

(FTR - & let me not waffle about this - Touché, Tiny Tin Toothpick, touché! Well done! - the toast, I mean.)
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!