Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Lamar Jackson & Jalen Hurts

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    He doesn’t, it’s a 1 read/run offense...
    Here...
    Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Since the other guy didn't reply back about having a discussion that compares their skillsets...…..i'm not going into a full breakdown

But on this play Jalen shows some of the traits that some in this thread are claiming he doesn't have:

Play-action fake
    Starts reading the progression from (L) to (R)---->Full field progression
    While scanning (R) his pass-pro breaks downs, and he gets bumped by his RB
    then gets bumped by a DL AND his RT that got beat
    Keeps his poise and makes a perfect placement throw (off platform- goofy foot) to the slot receiver just past and behind the spy defender

Blog Entries

Cont. Hurts progressions

On this play he executes a variant of a famous NFL-West Coast Offense play/concept "Spyder 2-Y Banana":

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Lamar Jackson & Jalen Hurts

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    My son keeps drafting Hurts in Madden and turning him into a running back. He's been doing it for months. I didn't realize he was 9 year old trendsetter.
    Hey GOTA, did your son (8 years old at the time) feel the same way about Lamar Jackson too? ... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Seems like a bit of a pipe dream drafting Jalen Hurts -- but as has been said, the Ravens can do this already with RGIII and fairly soon will be able to with McSorley….In order for the 2 QB set to be of any significance Roman will also have to go through the possibilities in the off season. Right now it's simply not a major part of the offense, just gimmick plays.
    Agreed.
    Griffin and Trace are already on the team and can do most/some of the things that Hurts could do in this offense.

Personally I think it a silly idea. I think Jalen is weirdly flying under the radar as a QB prospect and should be drafted as a QB in his own right. More total yards and TDs then Burrows.

But to draft him for the purpose of running a 2 QB gimmick offense when the Ravens already have 2 capable QBs on the roster that provide similar ability doesn't make much sense. It's baseless scrambling for content media pontification.

Here...
    Thanks for sharing. In this case, I hope Jalen Hurts gets drafted by an NFC team and takes that conference by storm. It definitely takes more than an "exception" to the rule to change decade-old stereotypes.

Nothing against Hurts, but why is anybody taking seriously a strategy devised by the twice-fired Vice President of Football Operations for the Miami Dolphins and general manager for the New York Jets ? What in the history of those teams during his tenure suggests he has any idea how to evaluate personnel, or build a team or offense?

Blog Entries

They're burning a spot on the 53 with Trace McSorley for a reason. There's no way they're drafting another QB. EDC goes heavy on D in April.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    On the radio last night, Terry Ford was talking about Carolina hiring Greg Roman as their new HC and then drafting Hurts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is more likely than anything else posted here. Some team(a) is(are) going to try to duplicate the Ravens offense and system. They will throw a pile of money at Roman in order to do it.

The biggest reason this will not happen is that Lamar doesn't want it. He wants to be our QB, not one of our QBs. Evolving our offense to respond the NFL defenses is one thing. "Fixing" something that isn't broke is another. If we draft a similar QB to Hurts, it will be as a backup to LJ, not as a dual QB starter.

EDIT: Another reason is there is only one LJ. These comparisons to every athletic "dual threat" QB are insane. Kyler Murray is the closest and he's not even in the same zip code.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-27-2019 at 02:13 PM.

If Hurts is there in the third, I strongly consider taking him. Not for any stupid idea like a QB rotation, but because the guy would be quality trade bait in a year or two.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

11. Re: Lamar Jackson & Jalen Hurts

2 QBs at the same time?

This is something that I have been talking about a long time. I've been talking about it for years before the Ravens got Lamar Jackson and I raced to the Ravens boards after Lamar ran 26 times.

Yes, I'm in favor of 2 running QBs at the same time. Yes, I believe that the Ravens should have 2 QBs on the field. Yes, that's what the Heisman package is.

No, it's not really a bold idea by that guy, because I've been talking about it for years and so have others, theoretically.

The QBs I think the Ravens should be looking at most closely in the draft are - Malcolm Perry, Navy QB in the 6th round, he has 1804 rushing yards. I'd put him at the top, not because he's best, but simply because he's the right choice, and he can also be slotback. After him, I'd look at Arizona QB Khalil Tate, who is hard to figure out. He has the NCAA record rushing yards in a game, had a great 1411 rushing yard season, and sometimes this year he had a 100 yard rushing game, and sometimes he didn't, sometimes he had a poor rushing game. Those 2 I would assess most closely, because I think they're probably better runners than Hurts.

I've read somewhere that Hurts will not go in the first, some think he's a day 3 pick.

The NFL has a lot of running QBs who were great at running in the NFL and who haven't gotten a shot to play QB in the NFL. Those QBs are cheap and available. And there are different flavors to choose from. The fast WR type - the Lamar Jackson type - is the most common. Many of these players are now playing a new position, aren't really playing QB. Long list. I can fill all of the skill positions with ex running QBs in college. It's not hard to do. The Ravens basically have a roster, the skill positions, that really doesn't need to be changed. There is probably a WR that could go, and Malcolm Perry, Navy QB, who has played both slotback and QB with Navy could take that spot.

New Years Eve, Liberty Bowl, watch to see if Malcolm Perry breaks the all time NCAA rushing yards single season record for a QB, the same record Lamar has. Perry has 1804 in 12 games, averages over 150 rushing yards a game, the record is held by Jordan Lynch, 1920 yards.

12. Re: Lamar Jackson & Jalen Hurts

Agreed.
    Griffin and Trace are already on the team and can do most/some of the things that Hurts could do in this offense.

Personally I think it a silly idea. I think Jalen is weirdly flying under the radar as a QB prospect and should be drafted as a QB in his own right. More total yards and TDs then Burrows.

But to draft him for the purpose of running a 2 QB gimmick offense when the Ravens already have 2 capable QBs on the roster that provide similar ability doesn't make much sense. It's baseless scrambling for content media pontification.
    Hurts is not Lamar Jackson. There is a new pervasive fantasy that every athletic QB is a stealth Lamar waiting to be unleashed. Calling Hurts numbers as a senior “similar” to Jackson’s heisman season is a reach. Hurts rushed for 20% less yardage his senior year than Lamar did as a sophomore. Lamar outrushed Hurts by something like 30% as a junior. Hurts played behind Oklahoma’s offensive line and was throwing to one of the premier WR prospects in the draft. What Lamar was doing in college is under appreciated because he was accomplishing it at Louisville. There should be a mutiplier attached to your name when you achieve heights at a program like Louisville or Purdue (Brees) that is comprised of mid-range talent that a player obviously elevates vs. a guy surrounded by NFL prospects and 4-5 star talent at every position. No one ever takes this into account and it leads to some of the biggest busts and surprises in the NFL. Johnny Manziel had one of the greatest collegiate receiving corps assembled. He was a wildass who was repeatedly bailed out by Mike Williams and company at Texas A&M. For whatever reason this was completely ignored in the draft process and the resulting implosion surprised those who thought he was something other than a wild slinger.